Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Folks, just because L.A. doesn't have an NFL team (which it will be getting again sooner than later) doesn't mean it's the worst sports city in the country.

Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix.... THOSE are the worst.
Agreed on both accounts, but worried about one... Teams don't just move because of support, there's a lot of politics, business, and other factors at play. This is especially true sometimes for smaller markets which charts show bare a lot more of the funding burdens (through public money) for NFL teams. Case in point, the St. Louis Rams might go back to LA as they're basically demanding a new stadium (as city officials originally signed one of the dumbest contracts I've ever read...) from the city who frankly in this economy should have other priorities. This is a large part of how they left LA in the first place as well. Furthermore, from an owners perspective moving your team to a brand new stadium in the second largest metro in the US tends to have a bit of an effect on the value of your team. Hopefully LA gets SD, Oakland, or Jacksonville instead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Agreed on both accounts, but worried about one... Teams don't just move because of support, there's a lot of politics, business, and other factors at play. This is especially true sometimes for smaller markets which charts show bare a lot more of the funding burdens (through public money) for NFL teams. Case in point, the St. Louis Rams might go back to LA as they're basically demanding a new stadium (as city officials originally signed one of the dumbest contracts I've ever read...) from the city who frankly in this economy should have other priorities. This is a large part of how they left LA in the first place as well. Furthermore, from an owners perspective moving your team to a brand new stadium in the second largest metro in the US tends to have a bit of an effect on the value of your team. Hopefully LA gets SD, Oakland, or Jacksonville instead...
Honestly, I think St. Louis just shot up even higher on the list with that $700 Million deal to make the Edwards Jones Dome look ugly... er, I mean "up to date" just to stay in the city.

Personally, I think it's out of San Diego and St. Louis. Could be BOTH....

Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Honestly, I think St. Louis just shot up even higher on the list with that $700 Million deal to make the Edwards Jones Dome look ugly... er, I mean "up to date" just to stay in the city.

Personally, I think it's out of San Diego and St. Louis. Could be BOTH....
Yeah, the Ram's "proposal" was basically, "New stadium please!" It could happen, but I would be very, very surprised if the league allowed both to move to LA...

Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Considering how much they have sucked ass for most of my life, it is.

You could say that about any bay area team not called the 49ers, I suppose.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Furthermore, from an owners perspective moving your team to a brand new stadium in the second largest metro in the US tends to have a bit of an effect on the value of your team. Hopefully LA gets SD, Oakland, or Jacksonville instead...
Hopefully the Raiders out of those 3, wouldn't mind the Rams going back too. Both still have fans in the area, especially the Raiders. There are still Raider team stores in LA. Chargers belong in SD and good luck trying to convert any LA Raider fans to switch allegiance to the Chargers, would never happen.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Hopefully the Raiders out of those 3, wouldn't mind the Rams going back too. Both still have fans in the area, especially the Raiders. There are still Raider team stores in LA. Chargers belong in SD and good luck trying to convert any LA Raider fans to switch allegiance to the Chargers, would never happen.
I think people tend to overstate how strong the Raiders hold on LA really is. Considering that they left 18 years ago, you have a whole generation of young people and young adults (such as myself) that grew up here without any NFL allegiances. Most of the diehard Raider fans are in their mid-early 40s because they not only remember the Raiders actually being here, but most likely remember the one superbowl that the Raiders won in LA back in 1983. People born in the 80s and early 90s don't remember that at all, but rather remember the Raiders becoming a mediocre team and then leaving because Al Davis was a greedy person.

On a personal note, I actually know more LA Native 49er fans than I do Raider fans. Even before the revival of the 49ers last season, unmistakably the busiest time of Sunday at a huge chunk of sports bars in the LA area would be the BUSIEST during the time the 49ers played. Moreso now that they are doing well. I was at a sports bar in Burbank during the NFC Divisional game, and pretty much half the bars in the area erupted during this play:

2012 Playoffs-Epic Final Drive-49ers vs Saints - YouTube

I may hate Bay Area baseball right now (thanks for the sweep Giants and Athletics!), but come football season, I'll bring out my 49er jersey (and no, its not #16)

Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
You could say that about any bay area team not called the 49ers, I suppose.
If that were the case, the Warriors wouldn't stand out as a heaping pile.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
If that were the case, the Warriors wouldn't stand out as a heaping pile.

I think people just go to Warriors games to get drunk. No one cares what is happening on the court. You see this all across the country. The team sucks, but it is still something to do and somewhere to be seen.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I think people tend to overstate how strong the Raiders hold on LA really is. Considering that they left 18 years ago, you have a whole generation of young people and young adults (such as myself) that grew up here without any NFL allegiances. Most of the diehard Raider fans are in their mid-early 40s because they not only remember the Raiders actually being here, but most likely remember the one superbowl that the Raiders won in LA back in 1983. People born in the 80s and early 90s don't remember that at all, but rather remember the Raiders becoming a mediocre team and then leaving because Al Davis was a greedy person.
The fact that there are Raider team stores in LA kind of speaks volumes to how many there are still are in the LA area. The Raiders weren't in the Bay Area when I was growing up until later and many people my age are still Raider fans. Parents a lot of times raise their kids with their sports allegiances. From what I've seen, the fans from LA that go down to SD for Raiders games don't seem all that old, many in their 20's and 30's. Not saying most people in LA are Raiders fans but there presence still seems relatively significant considering how long they have been gone.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I think people just go to Warriors games to get drunk. No one cares what is happening on the court. You see this all across the country. The team sucks, but it is still something to do and somewhere to be seen.
Warriors fans are actually pretty passionate and do pay attention to what's going on the court. I'm not a Warriors fan but I have been to a ton of games and they have really good fans overall. Have you actually ever been to a game? If so how many?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City