Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Consider emigrating to Canada. Much larger Asian populations, and all supermarkets well-stocked with Asian items. And free health care, and only half as many fat people and very low crime rates.
But then you'll have to be surrounded by people who constantly monitor whatever the US does and then spend their days criticizing it. You'll also be dealing with uptight, overly-proud Canadians who have an exaggerated sense of self-worth. I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful Canadians too who don't fit this description, but I've been unfortunate enough to almost exclusively come across the type I just mentioned. Plus I hear their free health care sucks and is free for a reason. Crime is definitely exponentially lower though, and the Asian communities do sound nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
Honolulu is 61% Asian and Pacific Islander. If that is not Asian enough for you than the only way you will be truely satisfied is if you actually move to the continent of Asia because there the population is 100% Asian or damn close to it.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
thank you so much for the informative, helpful and kind responses. i realize now houston or dallas is a very good option as well as several others that have been mentioned. i don't know how difficult it would be to emigrate to canada though as far as the blue tape and all the rigamarole.

i have always wondered how different vancouver is from american cities for asians. i picture a very clean, futuristic city but that may be off.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Sugar Land, TX and vicinity.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Honolulu is 61% Asian and Pacific Islander. If that is not Asian enough for you than the only way you will be truely satisfied is if you actually move to the continent of Asia because there the population is 100% Asian or damn close to it.
i've vacationed there. unfortunately it is too expensive for me. i don't need even majority asian, just healthily represented where i can at least go to an enclave if i want to or there is actually a full community and stores etc.

very similar to areas that open international markets like h-mart. i know houston and dallas have at least one which is saying a lot compared to majority areas.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:36 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
In Upstate NY, Ithaca is about 16% Asian. they have two 4 year colleges, including Ivy League Cornell. I think most are affiliated with Cornell as well. I believe the Ithaca City School District has a student population that is about 12% due to also covering surrounding areas too. I think Northeast Ithaca is the area where most live. I believe the elementary school in that area is a third Asian too.

In Syracuse, our Vietnamese community is mainly on the city's Northside and there are Vietnamese businesses there as well. On our East side and Eastern suburbs, there are quite a few Asian stores and businesses. That could be due to it's proximity to Syracuse University and suburban school districts like Jamesville-DeWitt and Fayetteville-Manlius have quite a few Asian students too. Our Northern suburbs have quite a few Asian restaurants too.

Another community with a decent Asian population, relatively speaking, is Johnson City, just outside of Binghamton. Binghamton University also had a good sized Asian student population too. A decent amount live in Vestal too.

There aren't any mostly Asian towns in Upstate, but I know there are many mostly Asian communities and neighborhoods in NYC, especially Queens.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
I am very dismayed, depressed and disheartened that anywhere that has a higher asian population is extremely expensive. I am tired of living with prejudice and racism and not having the conveniences that others have. I am tired of having to go to hole in the wall ethnic grocers as if I'm unimportant. I am tired and lonely of living in areas where the only asians you only see are when you go into a takeout or restaurant, where you are just mostly sol in your community or city. I am tired of the riffraff that gets so represented in this country and anywhere that's affordable is either very racist and backwards or it's full of bad neighbors who blare music and/or act like animals or are just painfully ignorant.

I have checked out the housing and rental prices in los angeles and new york. It is too expensive. I don't understand how anyone would pay those kinds of outrageous prices for usually shoddy, ugly or cramped accomodations.

I currently reside in the tampa/st petersburg area and it's mostly caucasians, hispanics and african-americans, not many asians and not many asian things period and i do not like tampa much at all. Clearwater is relatively nice but still too bland in culture and i would pay the slightly higher prices but there is nothinig geared toward asians or koreans here. There is no real decent ethnic grocery store that is well-stocked and definitely no large well-known asian supermarket chains. I have even searched the whole state.

Atlanta has quite a few but i would never want to live there as it's just not a city that appeals to me at all. The traffic is horrendous, it's congested and still way too southern in the negative sense to me.

If only new york's chinatown was actually decently affordable as well, this country wouldn't seem so crazy to me! but to get a nice place you can call home would cost me and arm and a leg so i couldn't even enjoy it!

i'm screwed if i do and screwed if i don't! where is a place that has what i'm looking for and is progressive and still reasonally priced? any suggestions and insights would be appreciated.

sorry if i sounded too negative, just being honest about my feelings.
Daly City, CA, which borders San Francisco, is a little over 50% Asian (mostly Filipino) and has plenty of Asian markets and restaurants. So does SF, which of course also has a Japantown & Chinatown (the oldest in the US actually), and is 30+% Asian. But I don't think SF would fit your criteria since it is ridiculously expensive and crowded; I'm only mentioning it b/c you stated you liked NY's Chinatown. Daly City, Union City, Santa Clara & several other cities in the SF Bay Area all have plenty of Asians and Asian businesses that would likely appeal to you, and many of the towns aside from SF aren't overly crowded, so if anything here could fit your price range at any point down the line you might like it. It might be worth looking into anyway.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Fort Lee and Palisades Park are two towns in NJ that have a population of atleast 40% or more of asians.. im pretty sure 40% or around that.

Plenty of towns in CA too. San Francisco is one.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Asian and affordable.....look no further then Houston. At times I felt like I was in Asia in certain areas. The NYC suburbs also have lots of Asians but they are not what I would call affordable.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 AM

122 posts, read 381,857 times
Mostly asian cities include:

San Francisco metro
San Jose metro
Los Angeles metro
Suburbs of Seattle
Suburbs of Washington DC
Various cities/towns in central and northern New Jersey
Suburbs of Dallas and Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City