Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most forgotten sunbelt city
Dallas 14 30.43%
Phoenix 32 69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times

Advertisements

I've been reading and seems like LA, Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Austin, Charlotte, and Atlanta get a lot of sunbelt attention, get more attention than Dallas or Phoenix here. I have noticed that Dallas often does not receive the credit its counterparts do and Phoenix is just forgotten about.

Which one of these two is more forgotten about from the sunbelt? Which is less represented for and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I'd say Phoenix, idk why, it's the 5th largest city but you wouldn't know it.

I think Dallas is more recognized. I know it's the first Texas city I knew.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

So you're the other Infamous on this board huh? If it wasn't the internet I would say there can only be one Infamous.
No I meant on here. It seems Dallas is a lot less represented than Atlanta, LA, Houston, Miami, Austin, even Charlotte. Not talking about real life, cant get ESPN to shut up about Cliff Lee and the Cowboys

Old 12-15-2010, 04:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Now that I think about it, that's actually true. On this site especially, Houston & Atlanta have at least one or two threads about them made every single day in the City vs City section. And whenever someone comes up with some crazy theory for sprawl or whatever they pick Houston, Los Angeles, Phoenix, or Atlanta. As if Dallas doesn't exist.

Those cities also get way more haters. But Dallas is always the one left out, loses every poll and sometimes I think it gets some of the votes that it does because a lot more people here hate Houston & Atlanta. So Dallas basically is very under exposed for what it is. Phoenix gets mentioned a lot, and a lot of people do give Phoenix recognitions whether its for the good or for the bad, people here are thinking about Phoenix. And Los Angeles of course also. Incidentally enough Dallas escapes suffering the same fate as Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, & Atlanta and it seems to get hated on way less than the others, but it comes with the price that its not recognized for any of its amenities.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
I agree. Dallas is hardly ever mentioned for anything. Good or bad.

The other sunbelt cities either get praised often or crapped upon often.

Phoenix gets harassed a lot, Dallas gets ignored.

I dunno how people can claim it is more well known than Houston.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:13 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
I say PHX.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

Yeah, it's amazing that even though Phoenix doesn't have a great city core yet like the other big cities that grew big before it and even though some people love to complain about its sprawl, it's overall density in its metro is higher than most metros in the country.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
There is a reason for this. There's not many Dallas or Phoenix posters in the general us or city data threads. Therefore the cities will be ignored. Dallasites usually sticks to the Dallas forum or Texas forum and Phoenecians usually stick to the Phoenix forum or the Arizona forum.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is a reason for this. There's not many Dallas or Phoenix posters in the general us or city data threads. Therefore the cities will be ignored. Dallasites usually sticks to the Dallas forum or Texas forum and Phoenecians usually stick to the Phoenix forum or the Arizona forum.
I don't think the OP was talking about people from Dallas talking about Dallas. I think he is talking about people from other cities talking about Dallas or Phoenix.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't think the OP was talking about people from Dallas talking about Dallas. I think he is talking about people from other cities talking about Dallas or Phoenix.
Which goes back to my point. People from Dallas aren't coming to the forum to talk about their city and get their name out there unless they see the name of their city in a thread such as the Dallas vs Atlanta thread. Also, most of the time, when Dallas is somehow mentioned in this forum compared with another city, it's pretty civil where as it's a war when Houston is involved.

Make no mistake, even though these two cities are not talked about in this forum. That does not mean they are overlooked. Even on SSP, Houston is talked about alot more than Dallas and that's mostly because Dallas sticked to Dallas based threads or they don't come at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City