Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rather live in Seattle or Philadelphia?
Philadelphia 153 45.27%
Seattle 165 48.82%
I can't Decide 20 5.92%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
One thing that makes me angry about this forum also, is notice how nobody commented on Philly's beauty in the pictures that rainrock posted? Those pictures are very much welcomed, and I never get tired of seeing Photos of Philly or Seattle.

Lets not let this turn into another heated thread of ignorant city bashing.
How funny! You have already gone down that road, now you implore others not to follow suit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Seattle makes just about anywhere look inferior, including Atlanta.
I've been to Seattle, I think it is a great city, but it's attitudes like this that I really think are absurd. Every now and then you come across someone with a rather bizarre view of things. Seattle is not that big of a city, IMO, to make most look inferior.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I've been to Seattle, I think it is a great city, but it's attitudes like this that I really think are absurd. Every now and then you come across someone with a rather bizarre view of things. Seattle is not that big of a city, IMO, to make most look inferior.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion - we all are.

In my opinion, anyone that has actually been there and can still claim that Seattle doesn't beat most major U.S. cities - and Philadelphia in particular, in just about EVERY category - seems sort of absurd and bizarre.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,430 times
Quote:
Philadelphia IS dumpy outside of Center City, the likes of which are only repeated in a very small handful of American cities.
My neighborhood isn't dumpy and I don't live in Center City. I'm guessing you've visited every neighborhood outside of Center City to come to this opinion?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Philadelphia--America's real center. What if the (as Washingtonians seem to stress: Federal) government and the financial sector stayed in Philly in the 19th century? I'd say it might be bigger than Mexico City, the biggest metro in North America.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Could not have said it better myself!

There really is no comparison.

Dumpy, arrogant/rude, insular, worn out vs. clean, safe, spectacular setting, friendly & forward looking with the best years still to come.

Not really a fair contest.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:

Philadelphia IS dumpy outside of Center City, the likes of which are only repeated in a very small handful of American cities.
Philadelphia was designed and developed 200 years before Seattle.That fact alone will make it more weathered than Seattle.Add in the governments brain storm circa 1940's to flood the big cities of the east coast with poorly educated,minority, southern farmers, coupled with the ensuing drug epidemics/ mass production of handguns and Father Time hasnt been kind to many parts of Philadelphia.Thats truly a shame because this city was originally designed and developed to be one of the great ones, gloating that parts of Philly are in disrepair,although true, is pretty childish.

That being said you are a fool if you believe Philadlephia is center City surroundd by a dump. Keep in mind during the first 200 years of this country Philadlephia was one of the richest most powerful cities in the world, Philadelphias illustrious past afforded it architecture and neighborhoods Seattle and Atlanta can only try and replicate, in Philly its the real deal. Philadelphia was developed in a time when community and design were paramount as opposed to Seattles day of greed,isolationalism,cheap mass construction and the automobile.

Newer doesnt necessarily equate to better.

Here are 100+ year old neighborhoods well outside of Center City to disprove your claim.

West Philadelphia

Chestnut Hill Philadelphia
Rated #3(Forbes) as USA best urban enclave behind Park Slope NYC and Beverly Hills LA

Mount Airy

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2289120883_6189e359da.jpg (broken link)

East Falls

South Philly

Last edited by rainrock; 01-23-2009 at 12:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 02:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Default Seattle

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
East Falls
That pic of East Falls looks like something out of a fairytale. I've never seen rowhouses like that; how old are they?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philadelphia was designed and developed 200 years before Seattle.That fact alone will make it more weathered than Seattle.Add in the governments brain storm circa 1940's to flood the big cities of the east coast with poorly educated,minority, southern farmers, coupled with the ensuing drug epidemics/ mass production of handguns and Father Time hasnt been kind to many parts of Philadelphia.Thats truly a shame because this city was originally designed and developed to be one of the great ones, gloating that parts of Philly are in disrepair,although true, is pretty childish.

That being said you are a fool if you believe Philadlephia is center City surroundd by a dump. Keep in mind during the first 200 years of this country Philadlephia was one of the richest most powerful cities in the world, Philadelphias illustrious past afforded it architecture and neighborhoods Seattle and Atlanta can only try and replicate, in Philly its the real deal. Philadelphia was developed in a time when community and design were paramount as opposed to Seattles day of greed,isolationalism,cheap mass construction and the automobile.

Newer doesnt necessarily equate to better.

Here are 100+ year old neighborhoods well outside of Center City to disprove your claim.
Look, spare me the history lesson.

If you want to blame Philadelphia's decline on poorly educated, minority, southern farmers then I think it is you who needs a history lesson here, not moi. And please direct me to where I supposedly "gloated" over Philly's disrepair.

That being said, the pictures you posted of the various hoods are indeed gorgeous.

I stand by my original statement however - MOST of Philly outside of Center City appears much "dumpier" than just about any American city I have personally ever seen, and I have been to 90% of the major ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City