Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times

Advertisements

I'd rather visit Chicago then SF. But SF seems nice.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-11-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 AM

502 posts, read 717,231 times
San Fran: Edge of the world. Awesome natural scenery, awesome culture and diversity galore. Excellent geographical proximity to other great destinations. Some really quirky surrounding suburbs. Good live music. Good restaurants/bars, great cafes. Great tech job opportunities, okay business market. Thee city to own a manual-shift car. Erratic and rather interesting weather that does not reflect the rest of California. Outrageous cost of living. Lots of annoying liberals. The asian women here are really attractive but the white women are just, ehh.

Chicago: Hub of America. A very friendly and diverse (but sub-par for an American alpha city) population, world class downtown with innovative architecture and the most beautiful skyline. Excellent transportation. Excellent restaurants/bars/cafes, great business market and good tech jobs. The biggest airport in the world. Good live music. A passionate sports scene for sucky teams that rarely win anything. Boring topography but interesting weather. Bargain cost of living for an alpha city. A diverse mix of attractive, okay and hideously obese women, but the attractive ones tend to be really stuck up since they're more in the minority here.

Last edited by fightforlove; 09-12-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Chicago: A diverse mix of attractive, okay and hideously obese women, but the attractive ones tend to be really stuck up since they're more in the minority here.

This is very true. I can't help but notice how much more friendly attractive women are in other cities where there's more competition.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 8,208 times
Chicago. If you can stand the winters. People are so much nicer and less full of themselves. I've spent time in both -- was immediately off-put by San Fran and immediately comfortable in Chicago. I'm also someone who loves to visit NYC but would never live there. Chicago would be my closest alternative. In Cali, I'd choose San Diego.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Has Rahm as mayor changed Chicago much at all?

Also, does anyone have pictures of Chicago neighborhoods at street level? The kind that might showcase how urban and vibrant it is (not just nice skylines or some sort of parade/festival)?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Also, does anyone have pictures of Chicago neighborhoods at street level? The kind that might showcase how urban and vibrant it is (not just nice skylines or some sort of parade/festival)?
I don't have pictures, but I am a huge fan of Google Street View, here are some of my favorite neighborhood street views in Chicago (ignore the naming convention in the links):

Lincoln Park:
clark st and belden chicago - Google Maps

Clark & Fullerton, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 60614 - Google Maps

lincoln park chicago - Google Maps

Lakeview:

Wicker Park:

Old Town:

Gold Coast:

Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 PM

214 posts, read 673,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Has Rahm as mayor changed Chicago much at all?

Seems like FAREastcoaster posted some nice pix in the thread where we were all arguing about DC vs. Chicago. He had some nabe shots from 10-15 miles from the Loop, and they were still all 4+ story buildings with commercial on the ground level, and 3+ flats upstairs.

I haven't been able to find the thread in a while, but they were mid-way through and good shots.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 AM

425 posts, read 370,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
San Fran: Edge of the world. Awesome natural scenery, awesome culture and diversity galore. Excellent geographical proximity to other great destinations. Some really quirky surrounding suburbs. Good live music. Good restaurants/bars, great cafes. Great tech job opportunities, okay business market. Thee city to own a manual-shift car. Erratic and rather interesting weather that does not reflect the rest of California. Outrageous cost of living. Lots of annoying liberals. The asian women here are really attractive but the white women are just, ehh.

Chicago: Hub of America. A very friendly and diverse (but sub-par for an American alpha city) population, world class downtown with innovative architecture and the most beautiful skyline. Excellent transportation. Excellent restaurants/bars/cafes, great business market and good tech jobs. The biggest airport in the world. Good live music. A passionate sports scene for sucky teams that rarely win anything. Boring topography but interesting weather. Bargain cost of living for an alpha city. A diverse mix of attractive, okay and hideously obese women, but the attractive ones tend to be really stuck up since they're more in the minority here.

Im a big NY sports fan myself, and I wouldnt exactly say Chicago is a place where the teams rarely win anything. The Cubs are obvious, but as far as the sports scene on the whole?

The Bears and Bulls are among the two most storied and successful franchises in their respective leagues. The Blackhawks just won a Cup two years ago and the White Sox won in 2005.

The Cubs are the only thing that really brings it down, so id say thats a bit overstated.

Now if you were to say Philly, youd have a much better point. Even NY. The Yankees have one title in the last 10+ years, and the Giants have two. Thats it, out of 7 teams.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I don't have pictures, but I am a huge fan of Google Street View, here are some of my favorite neighborhood street views in Chicago (ignore the naming convention in the links):

Lincoln Park:
clark st and belden chicago - Google Maps

Lakeview:

Wicker Park:

Old Town:

Gold Coast:
haha that first link you posted at clark and belden is the prudental office my aunt works at. i clicked it and it hit me instantly wow this if familiar.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
If we're talking the two cities proper, Chicago. SF is simply too gentrified these days to stand up to the wide cross-section that is Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City