Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Can you get a shot of Chicago with uniform density like this? Which is more urban: San Francisco or Atlanta?

Until you do, I don't think we are talking. I am sorry but the pictures kidphilly posted just prove the opposite. They pale so much in comparison.
I don't understand. You don't believe the census data?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Sorrry it is grapico who posted the pictures. Anyway those pictures are far from what he claims. They show Chicago as a semi-dense midwetern town outside the downtown areas and they look very much like many LA neighborhoods and don't meausre up to SF.
L.A. is not as dense as those pictures.

Chicago, IL - Google Maps

i rest my case

Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Can you get a shot of Chicago with uniform density like this? Which is more urban: San Francisco or Atlanta?

Until you do, I don't think we are talking. I am sorry but the pictures kidphilly posted just prove the opposite. They pale so much in comparison.

Honestly there are only about 5 cities that actually have density (SF, Chicago, NY, Boston, and Philly) I am perplexed - the densest part of Chicago is bigger than SF - maybe certain 1 sq mile areas are more dense in SF but not by much on any scale - I agree both are and Chicago is bigger

I am not even saying better

I think they are both great cities

Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
I don't see why it is a problem to use a car to get from one walkable area to another. You can only walk for so long and then you get tired. LA has worse public transportation than Chicago that's for sure but that is another topic. Chicago L is filthy and slow in some areas anyways and I don't feel like taking it until it is absolutely necessary but that is just me. Besides the steel frames supporting the L look so rusted it looks like they can collapse any day just like the Minneapolis I35 bridge. I don't have problems with cars and that is totally irrelevant to the topic.
Its a problem if you don't own a car. Despite LA's improving transit system, its still not easy or mainstream to live car-free in LA.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:

Chicago Downtown Aerial on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wirelezz/2762658648/ - broken link)

Old 05-09-2010, 08:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I must respectfully disagree.

If you take the contiguous central and northside Chicago neighborhoods of Rogers Park, West Ridge, Uptown, Edgewater, Lincoln Square, North Center, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Near North, Loop, Near South, West Town, Logan Square, Avondale, Irving Park, Near West Side, and North Park you have an area of 50.2 square miles with a population (2000 Census data) of 927415, for a population density of 18.4k per square mile, higher than San Francisco. These neighborhoods contain the vast majority of "yuppified" Chicago, the vast majority of the wealth, and disproportionately low amount of the crime.

Obviously there are vast swaths of the west and south side of Chicago with very low population density which bring down the city's overall average. These neighborhoods have/had most of the city's industry and most of the neighborhoods depopulated due to urban decay. However, for better or worse, many residents of the north side go about their lives without any exposure to these areas.
That's some good statisticking

Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post

Fine, if you wanna nitpick then:

SF - Stockton: 73.1 miles

Embarcadero Center to Defense Depot San Joaquin Sharpe, Stockton, CA - Google Maps

The point was that both pairs were relatively equidistant to each other. It wasn't about finding which one had the closest remote stretches of their city limits to each other.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Arent Mexicans the same in both Chicago and San Fran?
Why would the food be better in either
The same reason Chicago would supposedly have better Greek and Polish food. Or why any city in the US would have better ethnic cuisine than the next.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM

593 posts, read 1,762,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
7.6 million people/8750 square miles = 869 people per square mile

9.8 million people/9600 square miles = 1021 people per square mile
You're right, I stand corrected on that one. I had heard otherwise, but the numbers dont lie

Chicago feels like it gets more suburban more quickly once you leave the city compared to the bay area (at least to the east and south of SF), but the edges of the Bay Area CSA are pretty low density and there are several very low populated mountainous areas, so this makes sense...

Old 05-09-2010, 10:30 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I must respectfully disagree.

If you take the contiguous central and northside Chicago neighborhoods of Rogers Park, West Ridge, Uptown, Edgewater, Lincoln Square, North Center, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Near North, Loop, Near South, West Town, Logan Square, Avondale, Irving Park, Near West Side, and North Park you have an area of 50.2 square miles with a population (2000 Census data) of 927415, for a population density of 18.4k per square mile, higher than San Francisco. These neighborhoods contain the vast majority of "yuppified" Chicago, the vast majority of the wealth, and disproportionately low amount of the crime.

Obviously there are vast swaths of the west and south side of Chicago with very low population density which bring down the city's overall average. These neighborhoods have/had most of the city's industry and most of the neighborhoods depopulated due to urban decay. However, for better or worse, many residents of the north side go about their lives without any exposure to these areas.
See thats the problem with chicago everything is just not even and evertyone likes to focus on the north side. This isnt a shot at you but just some thoughts. And there are a few s. side neighborhoods with high density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City