Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,758,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I don't think about it. I've barely talked about it. I don't care if people like NYC over Chicago- I just find it funny when people have complexes over other cities, and some NYCers on this thread and others sure do deliver. Aside from pointing out the hypocrisy of dementor calling Chicago provincial, and the hypocrisy of people saying because NYC has more skyscrapers so it musts be better (vis a vis Shanghai), I haven't said much about New York at all.

And, funny enough, neither have you.

kk, now please stop stalking my posts. It's getting tiring.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 PM

734 posts, read 2,045,780 times
Sorry bro. I find you funny.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,276,088 times
Quote:
People actually think that? LOL No one who's actually been there. Do you live there or have you just visited again? Or do you want to admit you've never been.
LMAO

Are you sure? Judging by the number of art celebrities living in Chicago its cultural lifeis not that appealing, is it?
Why don't you face it? You have a three million city with ten million metro and there are no national or international cultural events taking place in Chicago. There is no single publication with a national and international circulation? You call it a thriving cultural life? I call it a wasteland.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,776,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Are you sure? Judging by the number of art celebrities living in Chicago its cultural lifeis not that appealing, is it?
Why don't you face it? You have a three million city with ten million metro and there are no national or international cultural events taking place in Chicago. There is no single publication with a national and international circulation? You call it a thriving cultural life? I call it a wasteland.

Okay, then leave it alone. It shouldn't be worth talking about if it's really that crappy of a city.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times
Quote:
I can tell you: nobody would care. So what? Sao Paolo is bigger and what does it change for New York? Would it stop to be the capitol of culture, finance, media, arts? There is too much going on in New York to pay attention to details like that...

Now, if Wall Street, Broadway or UN moved this would be a legitimate cause for concern. There are many jobs tied to those institutions...
Exactly.

I do find it strange that when discussing skyline, "size" doesn't matter, but all of a sudden the size of the metro does? What?

If the "size" of the skyline has no merit, I guess Hartford CT is in the running because for it's "size" it's really nice.

And yes I do find it funny that you can fit DT Chicago in Central Park.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Okay, then leave it alone. It shouldn't be worth talking about if it's really that crappy of a city.
It is but since this thread is dedicated to discussing both cities this is what we do here.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM

734 posts, read 2,045,780 times
Quote:
This has already been proven wrong, though, so...?

Do you know who owns the NYMEX for example? Do you know where the largest publisher in the country is located? Do you know what the most esteemed comedy club in the world is? Where it's located? Do you know what city lost its bid for the Olympics and which is still in? Do you know where the largest TV station in the country is located?

The answer has to be 'no' to all those things (and many more) for you. I feel bad. Leave Brooklyn before you start talking, euruos.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Do you know who owns the NYMEX for example? Do you know where the largest publisher in the country is located? Do you know what the most esteemed comedy club in the world is? Where it's located? Do you know what city lost its bid for the Olympics and which is still in? Do you know where the largest TV station in the country is located?

The answer has to be 'no' to all those things (and many more) for you. I feel bad. Leave Brooklyn before you start talking, euruos.
Yes, I know. The are all located in New York. I am not aware of any national publications coming out of Chicago. I do not thing that IO can stand up to New York improv clubs, those that made this club an icon are already in New York working the clubs and/or Comedy Central, Saturday Night Life and Mad. All big TV networks plus Viacom and Time-Warner are headquartered in New York. Olympics? Who cares? They will come and go. Ask Atlanta or Lake Placid how much they gained though this venue. Your points are pitiful as your own evidence proves how insignificant Chicago is. BTW, the art of good discussion involves presenting your evidence, names, sources and not asking silly questions... That's kindergarden level.

PS. I am really glad you did not use the Cubs to prove your point of Chicago's greatness. I heard that argument already

PPS. Yes. I am from Brooklyn, Williambsurg to be exact and I can pitch my neighborhood's, one of many on the city, culture, food and entertainment against any neighborhood in Chicago, downtown or not.

PPPS. You are quoting my post and addressing eurous, are you schizophrenic?

Last edited by dementor; 03-05-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,758,237 times
Quote:

It's a pity that the International Olympic Committee isn't too optimistic and doesn't care much for Chicago:

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_1317.pdf (broken link)

According to the IOC, the group that decides which city hosts the Olympics, Chicago is a distant 4th, with Tokyo and Madrid as the IOC favorites.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
It's a pity that the International Olympic Committee isn't too optimistic and doesn't care much for Chicago:

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_1317.pdf (broken link)

According to the IOC, the group that decides which city hosts the Olympics, Chicago is a distant 4th, with Tokyo and Madrid as the IOC favorites.

eurous, I really hope they get it (I know they won't, city's transportation system is not up to the task first of all) as it would be a great opportunity to expose this city's impotence. All this big Chicago talk while they can't even get their streets to look like normal city streets where instead you have potholes the size of Geo Metro, most of them from the previous winter.
Olympics in Chicago would be a logistics nightmare and a big spectacle on how to syphon public money to private pockets. After all, this is Chicago where corruption is a generally accepted aspect of reality.
Too bad they won't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City