U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
That exactly what it is. Chicago's skyline is just a facade spread out on the lake shore. Nothing else. Chicago did not have the need to build up, there was no lack of land. Chicago's skyline is single dimensional. there are certain angles from which it looks good but can't be compared to Manhattan where the skyline spreads out from lower to upper Manhattan and from Hudson to East River. Maybe that's why it seems so unimpressive. As someone already noted you could fit entire Chicago skyline into Central Park. It's just a facade on the lake.
dementor, that's it-- I'm going to befriend you. You need a friend. You're wayward and you're just looking for someone to reach out and help you with your, ahh, difficulties. I can help you through these troubled times and perhaps add some perspective and the guidance lacking in your life.

Maybe I'll take you back to the zoo, or maybe we can go fishing or whatnot. I hear the tires, bodies and detritus (dementrotus?) are really biting in the East River this time of year. With Spring in New York, we can really do it up. Just get a note fomr your parents and we can meet in Washington Square. I'll bring you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, milk and maybe you can even have some Skittles if you're good.

You just let me know dementor. Remember, I'm always there for you. Your bud-- BigLake. All in fun, right?

Last edited by BigLake; 03-17-2009 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,895,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
dementor, that's it-- I'm going to befriend you. You need a friend. You're wayward and you're just looking for someone to reach out and help you with your, ahh, difficulties. I can help you through these troubled times and perhaps add some perspective and the guidance lacking in your life.

Maybe I'll take you back to the zoo, or maybe we can go fishing or whatnot. I hear the tires, bodies and detritus (dementrotus?) are really biting in the East River this time of year. With Spring in New York, we can really do it up. Just get a note fomr your parents and we can meet in Washington Square. I'll bring you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, milk and maybe you can even have some Skittles if you're good.

You just let me know dementor. Remember, I'm always there for you. Your bud-- BigLake. All in fun, right?

Tnanks, bud. Appreciate it. As long as it does not involve Chicago River we can go fishing...

By the way, did you know that Illinois has a nickname Sucker State? Apparently for some unknown reason (hm!) Illinoians have been called Suckers... Pretty neat, right? I think that a license plate with a proud inscription Illinois, profiles of both Blago and Ryan and a new state motto: We Suck! would look really nice and accurately describe the state of affairs in this beautiful state and city... The info is based on the bulletin issued by the good people of Forest Preserve District of Cook County, take it up with them if you have a problem.
Read on for details: Illinois - The Sucker State

I think that explains a lot, doesn't it?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,829,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Metro sizes:

Chicago 10 million
NYC: 21-22

Obviously NYC is going to have more skyscrapers, it only seems natural. But the number means nothing. NYC has/had zero interest in aesthetics. Chicago just won't throw up a building before considering how it would flow with the rest of the city. Chicago has the "nicer" skyline, but NYC has the larger Skyline. Look at downtown Chicago though you would estimate it was a city of 5million+ not around 3 million.
WOW 0 interest in aesthetics? Just Throwing buildings? Architecture of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM

749 posts, read 757,937 times
New York is more filled in and awe-inspiring, but Chicago's is great too. IMO, Chicago's might be a bit more photogenic b/c it's easier to see the skyline as a whole instead of portions of it. Who cares though? The only people that pay close attention to the skyline are tourists.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM

464 posts, read 684,815 times
Quote:
That exactly what it is. Chicago's skyline is just a facade spread out on the lake shore. Nothing else. Chicago did not have the need to build up, there was no lack of land. Chicago's skyline is single dimensional. there are certain angles from which it looks good but can't be compared to Manhattan where the skyline spreads out from lower to upper Manhattan and from Hudson to East River. Maybe that's why it seems so unimpressive. As someone already noted you could fit entire Chicago skyline into Central Park. It's just a facade on the lake.
^LOL.

Since when is wanting to conserve space a bad thing...? I'm sorry that Chicago isn't sprawled like all sunbelt cities. If it was, it would definitely have a much higher population. The skyline of Chicago look's great from anywhere. NYC's skyline is much more impressive from far away than up close up.

Edit// I stopped reading your post halfway through because of how bad it was, but who cares IF you could fit the Chicago Skyline into Central Park. Does that make NYC a better place? Just get over the Central Park thing...it means nothing. I could say Central Park is just a facade to help people get away from the city (which is exactly what it is), but that doesn't mean anything to me or you...

Besides I REALLY doubt you could fit The Loop into Central Park.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,829,856 times
Quote:
^LOL.

Since when is wanting to conserve space a bad thing...? I'm sorry that Chicago isn't sprawled like all sunbelt cities. If it was, it would definitely have a much higher population. The skyline of Chicago look's great from anywhere. NYC's skyline is much more impressive from far away than up close up.
That doesnt make any sense. NYC is much more impressive close with its huge cluster of buildings and density.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:00 PM

156 posts, read 203,481 times
Quote:

Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM

464 posts, read 684,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
That doesnt make any sense. NYC is much more impressive close with its huge cluster of buildings and density.
NYC is a half mile fader.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM

991 posts, read 1,048,649 times
Quote:
^LOL.

Edit// I stopped reading your post halfway through because of how bad it was, but who cares IF you could fit the Chicago Skyline into Central Park. Does that make NYC a better place? Just get over the Central Park thing...it means nothing. I could say Central Park is just a facade to help people get away from the city (which is exactly what it is), but that doesn't mean anything to me or you...

Besides I REALLY doubt you could fit The Loop into Central Park.
If Chicago's Skyline can fit in central park, than it reinforces the notion that Chicago has a better skyline pound for pound than New York and the foundation of NYC's skyline revolves more around the sheer volume of buildings, than the quality.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 PM

4,117 posts, read 4,606,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
If Chicago's Skyline can fit in central park, than it reinforces the notion that Chicago has a better skyline pound for pound than New York and the foundation of NYC's skyline revolves more around the sheer volume of buildings, than the quality.
Some of you guys keep repeating the same thing over and over again until myth becomes reality. The next time for instance you are INSIDE Manhattan go to Grand Central Station - walk a block or two north and look up Park Avenue. Then come back here again and say the New York skyline is more sheer volume than quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City