U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: L.A or Houston??
L.A 32 61.54%
Houston 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 05-20-2009, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
Are you serious? Los Angeles vs Houston?
Weather : LA blows texas out of the atmosphere, High prices? Ever worked in SoCal? Wages make the difference, Hospitality? Houston blows LA into the ground
Lifestyle : LA by a mile
Nightlife : LA by 100 miles
Skyline : Houston has how many skylines? 2? lets name a few in Los Angeles

Your comparing this?

Century City

Glendale

Hollywood

Marina Del Rey

Long Beach

Anaheim

Irvine

Santa Monica

Westwood

Wilshire Blvd

To this?

Please do not compare, Los Angeles is responsible for the whole region, the city spreads i believe from Santa Barbara to Tijuana, Mexico with Camp Pendelton (Marine Base) being the only gap in between
Yep.. thats over 200 miles of solid city. Where else can you go Skiing and Swimming at the beach in the same day?
Southern California baby!!!

Now are these LA skylines in LA or surrounding cities?

Houston has 5 skylines. ALL within the city limits.

Unread 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM

3,020 posts, read 5,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
Are you serious? Los Angeles vs Houston?
Weather : LA blows texas out of the atmosphere, High prices? Ever worked in SoCal? Wages make the difference, Hospitality? Houston blows LA into the ground
Lifestyle : LA by a mile
Nightlife : LA by 100 miles
Skyline : Houston has how many skylines? 2? lets name a few in Los Angeles

Your comparing this?

Century City

Glendale

Hollywood

Marina Del Rey

Long Beach

Anaheim

Irvine

Santa Monica

Westwood

Wilshire Blvd

To this?

Please do not compare, Los Angeles is responsible for the whole region, the city spreads i believe from Santa Barbara to Tijuana, Mexico with Camp Pendelton (Marine Base) being the only gap in between
Yep.. thats over 200 miles of solid city. Where else can you go Skiing and Swimming at the beach in the same day?
Southern California baby!!!
Hospitality? Huckleberry said it best "The weather is nice but the people are lousy." I'd hate to have my waiter keep singing in front of me in the hopes I'm a Simon Cowell. But I like the decor of the Westside restaurants. I hope the food is good though. I don't like getting ripped off!

Would anyone live in Irvine and commute to Downtown L.A. or the Westside?

You forgot at least 2 stunning skylines: Greenway Plaza and the Texas Medical Center. Plus there are some more to choose from such as Park Ten, Energy Corridor, Westchase, Greenspoint, and Woodlands. (I'll cut you some slack for that since many outsiders aren't familiar with Houston. But at least you tried!). But I prefer to have a Chicago-style Downtown and inner-city (with everything there and tall skyscrapers that rival the Sears Tower) and a Metra commuter train and the current freeway system connecting it to the Los Angeles-style suburbs. I can imagine many people commuting from Sealy to Downtown Houston in a few decades via train or IH-10.

Unread 05-20-2009, 05:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 6,960,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Would anyone live in Irvine and commute to Downtown L.A. or the Westside?

Its not the most ideal thing, but yes, people do it. Its not the majority of Irvine or OC residents, as Irvine is a major employment center itself for Orange County, but a good amount of people drive or take the Metrolink commuter trains into Los Angeles each day. By Metrolink, L.A. is about one hour at rush hour from Irvine. There are also several park and rides in Irvine that are a base for many L.A. Metro Van Pools, Enterprise Van Pools, and UCLA Van Pools that head up to L.A. each day for regular commuters from south Orange County. Its about 45 minutes to the Westside from Irvine using carpool lanes. Hell if not in a vanpool.

Unread 05-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Its not the most ideal thing, but yes, people do it. Its not the majority of Irvine or OC residents, as Irvine is a major employment center itself for Orange County, but a good amount of people drive or take the Metrolink commuter trains into Los Angeles each day. By Metrolink, L.A. is about one hour at rush hour from Irvine. There are also several park and rides in Irvine that are a base for many L.A. Metro Van Pools, Enterprise Van Pools, and UCLA Van Pools that head up to L.A. each day for regular commuters from south Orange County. Its about 45 minutes to the Westside from Irvine using carpool lanes. Hell if not in a vanpool.
It would probably be hell on the 5 during rush hour. I remember driving to La Jolla and there was a portion of rare feeder roads in Orange County. It looked like I-10 in my part of Houston before it was expanded, center guardrail, overpasses, et al. Boy those California freeways look old!

Unread 05-20-2009, 05:50 PM

2,498 posts, read 6,960,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It would probably be hell on the 5 during rush hour. I remember driving to La Jolla and there was a portion of rare feeder roads in Orange County. It looked like I-10 in my part of Houston before it was expanded, center guardrail, overpasses, et al. Boy those California freeways look old!
Most people I know that commute into downtown L.A. from the Irvine area take the Metrolink though to avoid the stretch of Interstate 5 through Buena Park to downtown. Metrolink is a ton more relaxing than fighting traffic and usually faster for the longer commute. Plus, Metrolink pass holders can also take the Pacific Surfliner trains so frequency is about every 15 to 30 minutes from 6AM to 9AM northbound to L.A. and the same frequency southbound from L.A. to Irvine 4-7PM. OC ridership on Metrolink has increased 30% from 2002 to 2005 and continues to gain more riders.

Unread 05-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Most people I know that commute into downtown L.A. from the Irvine area take the Metrolink though to avoid the stretch of Interstate 5 through Buena Park to downtown. Metrolink is a ton more relaxing than fighting traffic and usually faster for the longer commute. Plus, Metrolink pass holders can also take the Pacific Surfliner trains so frequency is about every 15 to 30 minutes from 6AM to 9AM northbound to L.A. and the same frequency southbound from L.A. to Irvine 4-7PM. OC ridership on Metrolink has increased 30% from 2002 to 2005 and continues to gain more riders.
I'm desperate to get a Metra/Metrolink Commuter Train in Greater Houston but the pols always give out electronic Toll Roads, which the newest of them has congestion regulated-market-based pricing. My part of town has both all-electronic routes.

Unread 04-13-2010, 05:10 AM

10,185 posts, read 3,916,954 times
What are you guys somewhat insane?

One girl from the first page put pictures of skylines of other cities like Long Beach and other cities that aren't LA.

This thread is LA vs. Houston. What part of that do people not understand?

Anyways, the CITY of Houston has multiple skylines, Downtown, Uptown (Personally my favorite one), Midtown, Greenway, North Houston, Westchase, Texas Medical Center, Allensparkway.

I'd go with Houston, it's rated 3rd in the country for highest skyline. (Even though LA has one taller building, Houston's skyline has taller buildings than LA's and LA's building is only taller than Houston's tallest by 5 meters).

LA does have a good background scenery near the mountains though, but that's not enough for them.

Personally I like Seattle and San Francisco's skyline for natural scenery blended with buildings. And Chicago for overall best.

Unread 04-14-2010, 01:20 AM

13,014 posts, read 11,528,539 times
Quote:
What station is that, in which they have restaurants, and food joints right in front of the commuter rail? That's pretty awesome.

Unread 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,226,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What are you guys somewhat insane?

One girl from the first page put pictures of skylines of other cities like Long Beach and other cities that aren't LA.

This thread is LA vs. Houston. What part of that do people not understand?

Anyways, the CITY of Houston has multiple skylines, Downtown, Uptown (Personally my favorite one), Midtown, Greenway, North Houston, Westchase, Texas Medical Center, Allensparkway.

I'd go with Houston, it's rated 3rd in the country for highest skyline. (Even though LA has one taller building, Houston's skyline has taller buildings than LA's and LA's building is only taller than Houston's tallest by 5 meters).

LA does have a good background scenery near the mountains though, but that's not enough for them.

Personally I like Seattle and San Francisco's skyline for natural scenery blended with buildings. And Chicago for overall best.
For the most part when cities are compared, the whole metro is taken into account.

Unread 04-14-2010, 04:33 PM

10,185 posts, read 3,916,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
For the most part when cities are compared, the whole metro is taken into account.
That's true, but it just seems like a scapegoat tactic.

Like for example Dallas Vs. Philadelphia: Skyline Battle

And the thread maybe about Dallas and Philly, you see people posting pictures of downtown Fort Worth. It's just like, whattheheck??!?!

I guess it's just a difference in the way I think about skyline's. I think of skylines as a city thing, not a metro. A skyline is the fingerprint for each city, and during a skyline comparison, it should be city vs. city. Not metro vs. metro.

If so the SF bay area metro, and NYC metro would always win.

I don't know, but it's just my take on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City