Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: L.A or Houston??
L.A 32 61.54%
Houston 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRepublic View Post
Houston has no zoning laws and is a sprawling mess, while LA is denser and much cooler and better laid out as a city.
here's some pictures of downtown LA.

These LA photos are AWESOME. Really legit.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
To your average Joe, they wouldn't be able to tell Houston apart from LA if the mountains & Hollywood sign weren't such a dead give away. Both Houston & LA's downtown skylines have striking similarities from certain angles.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
I agree, out of all the aspects in which to judge a skyline, height is not very important. Saying a skyline is better just because it has this many buildings over 700, 900, or whatever FT is pretty pointless.
Especially in Houston and LA where the skylines are SO spread out. Hell, are our 3rd tallest building (the Williams Tower actually) is like 5 miles from downtown.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Well it was designed by world renowned architect Phillip Johnson and he won a Pritzker Prize for it. Maybe you just need to do some research on American Architecture.
No thanks, I'm just fine being part of the 99.9% of Americans who wouldn't be able to identify that building if it landed in my backyard.

Not that it's not an important building (I wouldn't know obviously), but it's not recognizable and isn't very distinctive.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's kind of hard to recognize anything you aren't familiar with. Houston lacks publicity and media attention. LA lacks a signature building as well, but we all know the US Bank Tower because we've seen it so much.
Eh, that's kind of a contradiction. The Bank Tower is L.A.'s signature building because everyone can recognize it.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
It might not have as many recognizable buildings. But for me, it's the exact opposite, LA is the one with the bland skyline.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._from_base.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ston_Texas.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ergy_plaza.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Daniel2986.jpg

I've just never been impressed with the LA skyline. I actually think bland is a very fitting word for the its skyline. Plus the smog really bumps it down even more. I'm not saying I love Houston's skyline, but comparatively, I think it easily wins.
Hm, that's your opinion, but I have yet to see a nice photograph of Houston's skyline that suggests it is less bland than L.A.

Look at One Republic's pictures. I think L.A.'s skyline is beautiful and anything but bland.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Eh, that's kind of a contradiction. The Bank Tower is L.A.'s signature building because everyone can recognize it.
Yeah that was sort of a contradiction; however, if LA's skyline wasn't shown so much in the media. It's skyline wouldn't be recognizable; it lacks uniqueness and creativity just as much as Houston's.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah that was sort of a contradiction; however, if LA's skyline wasn't shown so much in the media. It's skyline wouldn't be recognizable; it lacks uniqueness and creativity just as much as Houston's.
Yes much of L.A.'s recognizability comes from its media exposure, but isn't that true of every U.S. city to an extent?

I personally do find L.A.'s skyline to be very attractive and unique. New York is my favorite and after that Philadelphia/San Francisco/Los Angeles/Miami/Seattle are all on about the same level in my book.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Yes much of L.A.'s recognizability comes from its media exposure, but isn't that true of every U.S. city to an extent?

I personally do find L.A.'s skyline to be very attractive and unique. New York is my favorite and after that Philadelphia/San Francisco/Los Angeles/Miami/Seattle are all on about the same level in my book.
You forgot Chicago. Lol.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
No thanks, I'm just fine being part of the 99.9% of Americans who wouldn't be able to identify that building if it landed in my backyard.

Not that it's not an important building (I wouldn't know obviously), but it's not recognizable and isn't very distinctive.
Well a lot of very prominent architects and academic figures would strongly disagree with you. Besides, if it wasn't for Hollywood, the LA skyline and buildings like the US Bank Building wouldn't be nearly as recognizable. Besides, Houston has a lot of other signature buildings besides the Williams Tower.

Wells Fargo Plaza
File:Wells Fargo Bank Plaza, Houston, from base.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heritage Plaza
Heritage Plaza, Houston, TX - Skyscrapers on Waymarking.com

http://www.tpicom.net/images/rooftops/pennzoil-place/pennzoil-place-01.jpg (broken link)
Pennzoil Building
Telecommunication Properties, Inc. » Rooftops (http://www.tpicom.net/rooftops - broken link)

Honestly, if I had to pick a "signature skyscraper" for Houston, I probably pick the Wells Fargo Plaza over the Williams Tower. I feel like it's more recognizable to most people and seems to stand out the most in the Houston skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City