U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM

6,703 posts, read 10,711,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadventurer View Post
From what I heard, Miami is not as dense as NYC. There are less visible crime culture here compared to California. No you will not see your Latino graffiti, low riders, and other stuffs. Man, crime culture must be good for tourism. Expected to see alot of hairy Cubans, elders, and tourists. The beaches are really nice, not as nice as the Caribbean (from what I heard). Life is kind of like Hawaii, revolve around tourism.
There are a few boat dwellers here, too. NY do not have beaches.
errr WHAT? John's beach, Coney Island, Manhattan Beach, Far Rock and the list goes on. We have tons of beaches in and around NYC. They don't have the same tropical fell that the ones down here have but that boils down to taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,725,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
errr WHAT? John's beach, Coney Island, Manhattan Beach, Far Rock and the list goes on. We have tons of beaches in and around NYC. They don't have the same tropical fell that the ones down here have but that boils down to taste.
Just passed through Brighton Beach, via the Belt Pkwy (30 minutes ago).
Enjoying NYC now. The weather is great. (Mid 70s).

Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM

45 posts, read 111,349 times
I know quite a few New Yorkers. Most say they do not want to go back to New York. Living in New York is extremely expensive and a good quality of life is very expensive to uphold.

South Florida has its drawbacks such as traffic (shouldn't be too much of a shocker though from NY) and the high percentage of immigrants (again no different than NY) but other than that its a beautiful place with great weather, and a gorgeous tropical setting. Jobs may not pay as well than in NY but it is MUCH cheaper to live here than in NY.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11 View Post
I know quite a few New Yorkers. Most say they do not want to go back to New York. Living in New York is extremely expensive and a good quality of life is very expensive to uphold.

South Florida has its drawbacks such as traffic (shouldn't be too much of a shocker though from NY) and the high percentage of immigrants (again no different than NY) but other than that its a beautiful place with great weather, and a gorgeous tropical setting. Jobs may not pay as well than in NY but it is MUCH cheaper to live here than in NY.

You have a point about some NY'ers (mostly well-off, older, established people) not wanting to move back, but I do not agree that life here is much cheaper than NYC. That was true 10-15 years ago, not now, not anymore....We can go at it all day, going back and forth.

There's a false perception that life in South Florida is cheaper than NYC, which is so not true. The pay here is not the greatest when comparing apples to apples (compared to NYC). Like I said, we can go at it all day.

There was a thread about the same topic a few months ago.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,371,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
30 minutes ago? You mean sat through?

Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
30 minutes ago? You mean sat through?

There was traffic, but it didn't last long. I was coming from the Verrazzano bridge, from Staten Island. It wasn't bad....The weather is nice, not as hot though.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:51 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,371,125 times
Quote:
There was traffic, but it didn't last long. I was coming from the Verrazzano bridge, from Staten Island. It wasn't bad....The weather is nice, not as hot though.
I'm surprised, it's taken me up to an hour and a half just to get to the Cross Island from the Verazano on a Sunday...were you heading into LI or just into another part of Queens? Also, I just read the time and at 1 I'm not surprised that you didn't have a problem.

Speaking of Miami though, delays on the Dolphin can be pretty much comparable at rush hour, although I don't think happen as much during off peak times...

Old 06-24-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
*sigh* Man, I don't think I am going to make it to the city this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11 View Post

i am from Brooklyn and would move back this minute if the opportunity were to present itself!

As for cost of living, err nah not at all. I can get a 3 bedroom in a brownstone in Brooklyn in safe areas for anywhere from 800 to 1000 bucks. Try pulling that off down here, not gonna happen. People who come on here saying NYC is expensive are either kids who lived with mom and dad when they did live in NYC and have no real reference from which to speak or they are not from NYC originally and live in places actual NYers avoid (because they know of cheaper spots). I have a cousin right now living on Nostrand avenue who is paying 500 a month for a one bedroom. safe as can be. I have walked from the train a few blocks away to his place at 12 at night and felt safe as heck. Another cousin pays 900 for a two bedroom in Corona Queens and I have walked through there in the early hours as well with no issues. So don't believe the hype man. As for traffic between Miami and NY, you can not compare the two, you know why? I can hop my butt on a train or bus and avoid all that in NYC whenever i feel like it. Try that in Miami.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
*sigh* Man, I don't think I am going to make it to the city this year

i am from Brooklyn and would move back this minute if the opportunity were to present itself!

As for cost of living, err nah not at all. I can get a 3 bedroom in a brownstone in Brooklyn in safe areas for anywhere from 800 to 1000 bucks. Try pulling that off down here, not gonna happen. People who come on here saying NYC is expensive are either kids who lived with mom and dad when they did live in NYC and have no real reference from which to speak or they are not from NYC originally and live in places actual NYers avoid (because they know of cheaper spots). I have a cousin right now living on Nostrand avenue who is paying 500 a month for a one bedroom. safe as can be. I have walked from the train a few blocks away to his place at 12 at night and felt safe as heck. Another cousin pays 900 for a two bedroom in Corona Queens and I have walked through there in the early hours as well with no issues. So don't believe the hype man. As for traffic between Miami and NY, you can not compare the two, you know why? I can hop my butt on a train or bus and avoid all that in NYC whenever i feel like it. Try that in Miami.
I hear you Wild. It feels great being in the CITY for a few days.

I didn't bring my semi-pro camera with me. (I picked up a D90 btw, great unit). I brought something light and compact instead. I already started taking pics, and will post them on my Flickr page. I will send you the FLickr link once back to Florida and things are loaded up.

There are some deals for apts/studios/basement apts now. Believe it or not, renters are negotiating for cheaper rents here. I think it's a good thing. Plus the fact that you don't need a car here to get around makes things easier.

AC11,
I was just watching NEWS 12, and they approved to increase Rent Controlled Apts by 3% this year. An increase, but not the jackings that occur in Florida for insurance, property taxes and such.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I hear you Wild. It feels great being in the CITY for a few days.

I didn't bring my semi-pro camera with me. (I picked up a D90 btw, great unit). I brought something light and compact instead. I already started taking pics, and will post them on my Flickr page. I will send you the FLickr link once back to Florida and things are loaded up.

There are some deals for apts/studios/basement apts now. Believe it or not, renters are negotiating for cheaper rents here. I think it's a good thing. Plus the fact that you don't need a car here to get around makes things easier.

AC11,
I was just watching NEWS 12, and they approved to increase Rent Controlled Apts by 3% this year. An increase, but not the jackings that occur in Florida for insurance, property taxes and such.
The D90!!!!!!! Oh man let me fall back, I don't want to take this off topic lol! I will say this though, if I didn't invest all this money in canon flash guns and lenses and stuff I would make the jump to Nikon in a heart beat. Congrats man, and why the heck wouldn't you bring the DSLR to the city man! Bro I went on few interviews in the city last year and each time I went up I took the camera with me! Man there was this shot I wanted to get off in morning heights so badly. I may have to sneak into the Columbia Campus to snap it off one day! Get yourself a good bag, look into crumpler. I have the brazilian dollar home and I am about to purchase one of their backpacks for when I am footing it around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City