Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,443,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
are you sure? cause i dont think the city itself ever passed 900, i think it was included with the county ( la county, or w/e it is) i was going to name it but wasnt sure.
Yeah, I'm sure. It was for the city only. I can't find where I'd originally read about it, but the City of Los Angeles typically has had a higher homicide rate than NYC, either by a little (like around the early 90's) or by a lot (like in recent years). Around the time when NYC had 2,200 or so LA had close to half that, which reflected the difference in size of the two cities and having either the same or a slightly higher or lower homicide rate, depending on the year. Certain years NYC had a slightly higher rate, while in others LA did. The old sources I got this info from had stated that LA had over 1,000 murders in 1992 with over 800 of them gang related.

Here's what I was able to draw up now from the Bureau of Justice:

1991 - 1,027
1992 - 1,094
1993 - 1,076

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Here's an article that doesn't give the complete total, but has it counted up to Dec. 21, 1991 at 1,006.

Gainesville Sun - Google News Archive Search

And here's one from a different source that doesn't show those three years, but it has 1980 totaling 1,011.

Uniform Crime Reports of Los Angeles and Index from 1985 to 2005

This last source doesn't match up exactly with the first one I posted for years that both of them displayed, but they did come within about 2 or 3 of each other on those years so it seems to be pretty accurate. This one also gives the total on those same years for LA County via the LA County Sheriff (the first link was showing totals for LAPD).

Uniform Crime Reports of Los Angeles and Index from 1985 to 2005

And just in case you wanted it, here's NYC's info from those same sites:

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Uniform Crime Reports of New York Cit and Index from 1985 to 2005

Last edited by jman650; 10-06-2009 at 02:57 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 AM

815 posts, read 2,124,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason.Ross101 View Post
no the worst is college park in georgia it was scary i was visiting atlanta and we stayed on the wrong part of town they had drive bys every night and the hotel i stayed at had got busted for drug smugglering.

College Park is not the worst neighborhood by any means, its not even the the worst neighborhood in Atlanta. CP does have its share of crime though, but the worst area it is not. I see that you stayed at a Hotel in CP, and since most of Atlanta is spread out, places like hotels, motels, and apartment complex breezeways are where the drug dealing goes on. But with that said, Godby Rd in College Park can get pretty dangerous at night, that one street had like 5 murders and 8 shootings just this past summer. They had one incident where some 14 year olds kicked in this door and killed a woman execution style over a playstation 3 that was on the news a few months back

Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

902 posts, read 2,774,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
College Park is not the worst neighborhood by any means, its not even the the worst neighborhood in Atlanta. CP does have its share of crime though, but the worst area it is not. I see that you stayed at a Hotel in CP, and since most of Atlanta is spread out, places like hotels, motels, and apartment complex breezeways are where the drug dealing goes on. But with that said, Godby Rd in College Park can get pretty dangerous at night, that one street had like 5 murders and 8 shootings just this past summer. They had one incident where some 14 year olds kicked in this door and killed a woman execution style over a playstation 3 that was on the news a few months back
College Park looks like a small rural neighborhood on google maps. Doesn't look like many people live in the area and doesn't look bad at all. It is by the airport right?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
The top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods list according to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed and based on FBI 2008 data. Here is a link for you if you don't want to google "most dangerous neighborhoods".
25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop
The website also breaks down what they believe would be the probabilty that you would be a victim of a crime in one of the listed neighborhoods.
  1. Cincinnati, Ohio (Central Pky./Liberty St.)
  2. Chicago, Ill. (State St./Garfield Blvd.)
  3. Miami, Fla. (7th Ave./North River Dr.)
  4. Jacksonville, Fla. (Beaver St./Broad St.)
  5. Baltimore, Md.(North Ave./Belair Rd.)
  6. Kansas City, Mo. (Bales Ave./30th St.)
  7. Memphis, Tenn. (Warford St./Mount Olive Rd.)
  8. Kansas City, Mo. (Forest Ave./41st St.)
  9. Dallas, Texas (Route 352/Scyene Rd.)
  10. Richmond, Va. (Church Hill)
  11. Memphis, Tenn. (Bellevue Blvd./Lamar Ave.)
  12. Dallas, Texas (2nd Ave./Hatcher St.)
  13. Springfield, Ill. (Cook St./11th St.)
  14. St. Louis, Mo. (14th St./Dr. Martin Luther King Dr.)
  15. Little Rock, Ark. (Roosevelt Rd./Bond St.)
  16. Philadelphia, Pa. (Broad St./Dauphin St.)
  17. Tampa, Fla. (Amelia Ave./Tampa St.)
  18. New York, N.Y. (St. Nicholas Ave./125th St.)
  19. Chicago, Ill. (66th St./Yale Ave.)
  20. Baltimore, Md. (Orleans St./Front St.)
  21. Cleveland, Ohio (Cedar Ave./55th St.)
  22. Orlando, Fla. (East-West Expy/Orange Blossom Trl.)
  23. Detroit, Mich. (Mount Elliott St./Palmer Ave.)
  24. Chicago, Ill. (Wallace St./58th St.)
  25. Chicago, Ill. (Winchester, Ave./60th St.)
Unfortunately a Richmond Va neighborhood made the list, and Baltimore made the list twice.
This list has been debunked by many people. Lots of those hoods aren't even the worst in their respective cities (harlem the worst in NYC? yeah right). Not to mntion the exclusion of any hood in a place like New Orleans, Detroit, Oakland, etc, etc, etc, makes it suspect to begin with. Also, why do they label intersections as neighborhoods?

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,240,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
This list has been debunked by many people. Lots of those hoods aren't even the worst in their respective cities (harlem the worst in NYC? yeah right). Not to mntion the exclusion of any hood in a place like New Orleans, Detroit, Oakland, etc, etc, etc, makes it suspect to begin with. Also, why do they label intersections as neighborhoods?
Exactly, I'd expect New Orleans and Detroit to be on a list like this as well, also why intersections and not whole or at least parts of neighborhoods.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,066,171 times
^^ Those are hard stats. Haven't seen any data that would make those stats seem inaccurate.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:11 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^ Those are hard stats. Haven't seen any data that would make those stats seem inaccurate.
What are you talking about? One of those areas in Chicago is sparsely populated and only needs a few crimes to seem like it's insanely dangerous in terms of crime rate. Same for the part of Over-The-Rhine in Cincinnati that they chose:

Quote:
In 2009 a website, using data collected from 2005 to 2007, ranked a section of Over-the-Rhine north of Liberty Street as, statistically, the "most dangerous neighborhood in the United States."[11][165][166] Critics, however, argue that the statistic is "intellectually dishonest"[14] because the area in question "is a mostly vacant industrialized strip,"[167] and the data used by the website was "old."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-Rhine#Crime
Plus, Harlem is definitely NOT the worst part of NYC. And once again....since when did a single intersection equal an entire neighborhood?

basically all of these lists put out by walletpop, CQ Press, Forbes, are "intellectually dishonest." It's mostly fearmongering to get hits on their websites or whatever. And it looks like it works. I'm sure those hoods listed are bad though...but the list as it is just doesn't make any sense.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I like how 55th and Garfield in Chicago made #2 on the list. All it takes is one incident there and the per-capita rate looks outrageous because nobody actually lives around there.
my cousin and I were getting some mcdonalds around that area and there were quite a few people walking( but idk if they actually live there). This was in the winter too

Old 10-06-2009, 04:41 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
I worked with someone from North Dakota in Chicago last year, including summer, and he was pretty astounded by these stories. Granted, Chicago has its rep, but living here gave him a different perspective.

This summer has been pretty bad I think. Last weekend there were 63 shootings with 11 murders. And the one story I remember is the 3 teenagers being gunned down by gang members with assault rifles. I think it was south shore.
no thats south chicago. it was on 87th.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,141,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
my cousin and I were getting some mcdonalds around that area and there were quite a few people walking( but idk if they actually live there). This was in the winter too

I was just on 55th & Garfield yesterday close to the Dan Ryan. Its not really isolated. The 55th St red line is right there where many people enter everyday. Depend on what side of the Dan Ryan you're on, its part of the notorious Englewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City