U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,030,515 times

Advertisements

I would choose Pueblo cause its more like New Mexico.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,582,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
We are all biased, but I would like to know some of your reasons why you think it is Colorado Springs?
I like the convenience of everything in the city. I live right near the Chapel Hills mall. Theres alot of grocerey stores around where I live and fast food resturants to get food. My school is less then 5 minutes away from where I live. Also if I want the advantages of a really big city, Colorado Springs isn't very far from Denver only about a 35 to 40 minute drive if the traffic isn't bad. Also the traffic and crime aren't bad here unlike most cities.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 PM

5,607 posts, read 19,997,050 times
Jossie, I think you're out of your element. I don't think hardly anyone outside of Colorado has even heard of Pueblo.

Please explain to me how Pueblo is "more cosmopolitan" than Colorado Springs.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:11 PM

12,081 posts, read 20,115,912 times
I consider Pueblo to be more cosmopolitan then the Springs because of the diversity here and Pueblo is more accepting of alternative lifestyles then they are in the Springs. I am gay and I have never had a issue here. Yet I look at the news and there is always anti gay rants in the Springs by certain people.

Pueblo, also, has a better downtown and does more to improve our downtown then the Springs. That means as we grow Pueblo will continue to have a thriving downtown culture that is bigger then our size might indicate.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-31-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,423,828 times
Denverites tend to "love to hate" Colorado Springs. A lot of it is politics -- Colorado Springs is ridiculed for being conservative, for being the headquarters of Dobson and Focus on the family. Denverites tend to sneer at our neighbors downtown, its lack of sophistication, its lack of culture. (For the record, this Denver resident likes the Springs, and thinks that the whole conservative/religious angle is overblown)

Denverites don't really hate Pueblo. In fact, most here don't really know much about Pueblo. The steel mill is about the one and only think most think of here when they think of Pueblo, that and maybe a general memory of the town being kind of run down. (Probably an out of date perception). But there's no sneering involved. But I think most of it is just that Pueblo is just too small and out of the way for most in the state capital to notice or care about.

At least from Denver's perspective, Pueblo is a distant fifth in importance in state behind Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Fort Collins. Yes, it's the main city in the SE side of the state, but the same could be said about Grand Junction (West) or Greeley (NE). I'm sorry to say it but that's mainly how it's perceived here.

I'm personally really impressed with what Pueblo has done with the river/HARP, and downtown restoration. Pueblo really has a bright future ahead of it.

I don't know why this matters at all. Pueblo may not be the "biggest" city in the state, but it can certainly become a very pleasant place in and of its own right. Plus, Pueblo may get the award for the most unique city in the state with its immigrant heritage, industrial meets southwest mix. You can't find any other place quite like Pueblo, and that says something at least.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:54 PM

But if you notice politically speaking Pueblo is the only city in Colorado that can and does stand up to Denver. When Pueblo speaks the state listens one example is the latest fight with the DOC HQ and how Pueblo caused the internal investigation and that is just the latest example. In fact the Denver Post said "Pueblo is the most important demcratic city outside of the Denver Metro area in Colorado".

I think it has to do with water, as the saying goes in the west follow water trail to power not the money trail.

Also, watch the local Denver news. They seem to talk about Pueblo more then the Springs. That is somehting that I have noticed and People have said shocks them when they first move to the state.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:06 PM

5,607 posts, read 19,997,050 times
How do you think Pueblo compares to Albuquerque?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 PM

I think its more New Mexico and not necessarily Albuquerque. Pueblo is more of a desert look to it then most of the front range and because of the name would fit easily in New Mexico. A lot of our style is even south west.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 AM

565 posts, read 1,605,209 times
This type of thread should always be a poll.

No one ever compares Pueblo to Colorado Springs except for people from Pueblo.

Colorado Springs is a city, Pueblo is an industrial town.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 AM

1,576 posts, read 4,979,951 times
I would say Pueblo... there's no other city like it really.

Colorado Springs is similar to many different cities that it's just not as unique as Pueblo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City