Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM

36 posts, read 109,099 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get more fodder for thought here, for my hubbie and me. We are early-30's, two small boys not yet in kindergarten. He grew up in Frederick/I grew up in Nashville. We both like BOTH cities!

We currently live in western MD but work in Frederick. Trying to reduce our commute times (currently driving about 40 minutes each way). Hubby also wants to explore new job possibilities.

SO, we could move back into Frederick, or take the plunge and go to Nashville. I'd love input - I'm too biased!

Anyone know both cities? Thoughts?
I'll try posting here and may post in each state's forum as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,488,720 times
I suppose it depends on what you want from a community. I find western MD to be absolutely gorgeous, and I like the old, federalist-style architecture you find all over there. So much character. D.C. is close. Nashville is larger than Frederick, of course, so you'd have more big-city amenities close by. I'd also bet Nashville offers a lower cost of living. Having been to both areas, though, I'd pick Frederick.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:37 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,723,898 times
Depends! Are you planning on moving to the city of Nashville or it's suburbs, and are you planning on moving into the city of Frederick or it's suburbs?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 PM

It's likely we'd be in Nashville - something like West Meade or Creive Hall, if you're familiar with those areas. They are essentially in the city, though not "urban" or downtown. I grew up in Hillsoro/West End area; love that, but unlikely we could afford anything there now

And in Frederick, we'd like to be close to the city, but not downtown. My husband and I renovated a rowhouse in downtown Frederick as newlyweds and love that area; we'd want a single family home close to the city for our family now, though. If we stay in this area and at our current jobs, we'd love to cut our commute to 15/20 minutes at most.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Well, It seems you are generally looking for more suburban living, near a downtown, good schools?

I'm sure both offer that! It just depends what else you would like, and your preferences. Could you expand maybe a bit more?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 AM

23,353 posts, read 43,822,059 times
IMO, a more valid comparison to Frederick would be Franklin, TN (suburban Nashville)...both are vibrant communities with a sense of history and an upscale retail area in their downtown. They are also both on the edge of a large metro area (in Frederick's case, two major metros).
I just visited Frederick last week...what a delightful place; I can't begin to express my enthusiasm for that great little city.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM

^^ Im so happy someone loves my city!! I don't believe i've ever heard anyone on here mention it besides me! glad you liked it! It is really a great family-friendly place

though this isn't a comparison thread, its just for someone to find out where they would rather move! Otherwise this comparison would be ridiculous! haha

Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,262,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
IMO, a more valid comparison to Frederick would be Franklin, TN (suburban Nashville)...both are vibrant communities with a sense of history and an upscale retail area in their downtown. They are also both on the edge of a large metro area (in Frederick's case, two major metros).
I just visited Frederick last week...what a delightful place; I can't begin to express my enthusiasm for that great little city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^^ Im so happy someone loves my city!! I don't believe i've ever heard anyone on here mention it besides me! glad you liked it! It is really a great family-friendly place

though this isn't a comparison thread, its just for someone to find out where they would rather move! Otherwise this comparison would be ridiculous! haha
I agree, I went to Frederick in Summer 2008, there's so much construction going, nice new walkable communities with great schools, everything was so new (even the highways looked new). We were actually looking at houses there because we were looking into moving there lol. I'm in love with the Townhouses. I like seeing the farms and scenery on the highway between Frederick and D.C..

I don't want to get too off topic but I'd recommend Frederick to anybody, both places strike me as being very different. I've also heard a lot of positives about Nashville. I'd be torn between the two as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,760,350 times
In Frederick, you will always be in an area with more jobs and opportunities. Nashville is a growing city but it is isolated, whereas Frederick will always benefit from its proximity to larger cities. Nashville is lower cost of living, but that usually means less pay.

I'd say if you can find a job for the main bread-winner of the family in Nashville that pays well and seems secure, move there. The home will be less, the place is nice. If Nashville grows you will probably make money on the home down the road. If things fall apart, move back to Frederick.

Personally, I'd choose Frederick, because it's less isolated and closer to the coast, which is kind of a big deal, I think.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks for all this input, everyone Whatever we decide, both towns have such nice people and overall "attitudes" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City