U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city for a young, married couple?
Pittsburgh 29 40.85%
Atlanta 42 59.15%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
 
Location: California
7 posts, read 24,705 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I know it might be a weird comparison, but here is our situation:

My wife and I are both graduating from medical school and will be medical residents. We're currently trying to decide between places in these 2 cities. In terms of what we are looking for, we want a nice 3 bedroom house with a backyard. We like to have new, fun things to do most weekends, but aren't really club-goers anymore. We like to eat good local food. I am a tad worried about Pittsburgh because of the weather and the "months of gray" i keep hearing about. On the other hand, I am a little worried about the traffic and crime rate in Atlanta. I've had an opportunity to visit both and they both have their plusses and minusses...which is why I have come to you wonderful people for your thoughts.

EDIT: To note, since we are doing residency, there is a good chance we will only be in either city 4-5 years. There is a the possibility we will fall in love with either city and stay, but an ever bigger one that wherever we go, we might also want to resell our house in 5 years. Just something to add, in case that makes a difference. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2009, 03:10 PM
 
439 posts, read 1,298,671 times
Reputation: 150
I think Pgh will be cheaper, way less traffic.

The housing market is really stable here also, should not have a problem buying or selling.

Not sure about hospital comparisons, but UPMC is the biggest employer in the Pgh region and is constantly expanding. The medical field is big here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,046,465 times
Reputation: 1609
Pittsburgh for me but not sure how the job market is. I am not fond of Atlanta, it has way to much low-level development for my tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,222,451 times
Reputation: 5131
While I live in Atlanta, you would probably be happier in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh like the rest of the U.S. is in a recession, but the old saying "The larger they are the harder they fall" is very true of Atlanta right now. Uncontrolled uber-growth for decades and sprawling out the wazzo has left us in a hard drop in many ways around here lately.

The housing market is becoming a buyer's dream now though - in less than a year you'll pretty much have a premo pick of homes and condos for half price in many spots around. But yes, our traffic is infamous (second only to L.A.), and crime is pretty high, too (not "old New Orleans" high - yet, but high). It is definitely warmer here through the year than it is in Pittsburgh. Almost never any snow. Your first pollen season here might kill you, though. Atlanta is a city of "extremes" - top or bottom, hyper or dead, super speed or stopped, wealthy or trailer park... etc etc.. it's a this-or-that city - not a lot of middle ground. Pittsburgh is more "steady mellow in the middle" all the time with seemingly far less extremes. Atlanta is definitely a love it, or hate it, kind of town, but I guess that applies to many places, too.

Pittsburgh is more laid back - it is after all, part of Appalachia. Much slower growth than Atlanta has experienced, but it's not "depressed", either. Plenty to do there. Home prices are reasonable. It's an older "feeling" city, so if you want shiny glass and steel and glitz, Atlanta is more that. Pittsburgh is more brick and concrete. Of course, if you have time, try staying in both cities for a week or two, but this time try to hook up with a local who would be willing to show you each city as they see/live it - not as tourists would.

Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,564,464 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhayven44 View Post
I am a tad worried about Pittsburgh because of the weather and the "months of gray" i keep hearing about.
Yes, that's typically one of Pittsburgh's big complaints. I just went out today in our "miserable" weather to take some pictures, because IMO, snow can be beautiful too...so you can decide for yourself:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4848/1002424ak6.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4282/1002425we4.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8124/1002431gl7.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6352/1002437es4.jpg (broken link)

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2658/1002452vp7.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/919/1002457xq2.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8669/1002453eh8.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7793/1002460ff8.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7964/1002465tz7.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3267/1002476ub9.jpg

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1508/1002479lc1.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4382/1002481bf1.jpg (broken link)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7601/1002483lz8.jpg

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3489/1002489tr0.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4544/1002496lz4.jpg


BTW, I have literally thousands of Pittsburgh pictures; just ask and I can send you some pics of nearly any neighborhood worth shooting.

Last edited by JMT; 01-09-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,222,451 times
Reputation: 5131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
BTW, I have literally thousands of Pittsburgh pictures; just ask and I can send you some pics of nearly any neighborhood worth shooting.
Nice photos. Make sure you send them links to those "thousands" of photos though. LOL. Try to limit to 5 pics per posting so as not to bog things down per our new sticky at the top of the room: What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****

I think so far Pittsburgh is a definite winner for this couple, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
172 posts, read 752,472 times
Reputation: 74
Atlanta is better because it is a bigger city than Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,222,451 times
Reputation: 5131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspeople View Post
Atlanta is better because it is a bigger city than Pittsburgh
Mexico City is a bigger city than Atlanta - does that make it better? I believe just because a city is bigger it doesn't make it a better fit for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 03:39 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
While I live in Atlanta, you would probably be happier in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh like the rest of the U.S. is in a recession, but the old saying "The larger they are the harder they fall" is very true of Atlanta right now. Uncontrolled uber-growth for decades and sprawling out the wazzo has left us in a hard drop in many ways around here lately.

The housing market is becoming a buyer's dream now though - in less than a year you'll pretty much have a premo pick of homes and condos for half price in many spots around. But yes, our traffic is infamous (second only to L.A.), and crime is pretty high, too (not "old New Orleans" high - yet, but high). It is definitely warmer here through the year than it is in Pittsburgh. Almost never any snow. Your first pollen season here might kill you, though. Atlanta is a city of "extremes" - top or bottom, hyper or dead, super speed or stopped, wealthy or trailer park... etc etc.. it's a this-or-that city - not a lot of middle ground. Pittsburgh is more "steady mellow in the middle" all the time with seemingly far less extremes. Atlanta is definitely a love it, or hate it, kind of town, but I guess that applies to many places, too.

Pittsburgh is more laid back - it is after all, part of Appalachia. Much slower growth than Atlanta has experienced, but it's not "depressed", either. Plenty to do there. Home prices are reasonable. It's an older "feeling" city, so if you want shiny glass and steel and glitz, Atlanta is more that. Pittsburgh is more brick and concrete. Of course, if you have time, try staying in both cities for a week or two, but this time try to hook up with a local who would be willing to show you each city as they see/live it - not as tourists would.

Good luck in your search.
1. Traffic in Atlanta is atrocious - IN THE SUBURBS. Choose a nice turn-of-the-century streetcar suburb in the city and traffic will not be an issue for you.

2. There is more crime in Atlanta than in Pittsburgh...as one would expect. Larger cities normally have more crime than smaller cities.

3. There is as much middle ground in Atlanta as there is anywhere. If you are a person of extremes, then wherever you choose to live will end up being a city of extremes. Note: everything in Atlanta is certainly not a choice between "wealthy or trailer park". But being college graduates I'm sure you already realize that it's a gross exaggertation and nowhere near factual information.

4. Just like the extremes mentioned in #3, if you are a laid back, mellow kind of person then any city you choose will be laid back and mellow.

5. Many people seem to look at Atlanta's skyline and conclude that the city is all "shiny glass and steel and glitz"...but that is simply the main thing that catches your eye about the skyline. You have to look closer to find out that it's not representative of the neighborhoods of Atlanta - or even the highrises of Atlanta. There is no more brick and concrete in Pittsburgh than in Atlanta, where you will find all building materials in abundance.

6. Are you kidding me? Pittsburgh - concrete and brick - not STEEL?


Atlanta can be beautiful in the snow too...but ours doesn't last all winter or accumulate more than a couple of inches.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/...7eb4f6.jpg?v=0
What a view! on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/plowkeeper/2203755067/ - broken link)



But Atlanta is most beautiful in Spring...which basically begins the last week of February.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/...34a74c.jpg?v=0
highland5 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lavoyeuse/3122948723/ - broken link)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/4...19c79c.jpg?v=0
Spring Cottage on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/photohound/450354520/ - broken link)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/4...8e3fe8.jpg?v=0
Spring Morning on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixietraveler/433589852/ - broken link)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/4...53c95b.jpg?v=0
Tree in spring...so beautiful...amazing..!!! on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_inga/433783609/ - broken link)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/...bf2ce0.jpg?v=0
DSCF2593 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/goingstuckey/2399179241/ - broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 01-09-2014 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,222,451 times
Reputation: 5131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
1. Traffic in Atlanta is atrocious - IN THE SUBURBS. Choose a nice turn-of-the-century streetcar suburb in the city and traffic will not be an issue for you.
Sounds nice, but I've never heard of a "suburb in the city", and when did any of the neighborhoods intown get streetcars? Did they finish the beltline project and I missed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
3. There is as much middle ground in Atlanta as there is anywhere. If you are a person of extremes, then wherever you choose to live will end up being a city of extremes.
So.... for example.... Los Angeles has as much middle ground/ middle income per capita as Little Rock? You can generalize anything, but the point was that some cities are more extreme than others, some have a more laid back atmosphere than others, etc. I swear, some folks just seem geared to argue things other people say as opposed to simply contributing things themselves.

Rhayven44, just spend time in both cities. You'll come up with your own conclusions once you do that so long as you stray outside the touristy stuff and try to see the city as locals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top