Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,903 times

Advertisements

Little Rock should not even be in the same category as Jackson...LR wins hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM

229 posts, read 520,820 times
Just came from Jackson. The downtown is THE most dead downtown for a city it's size in America, IMO.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesrep500 View Post
I've lived in Little Rock, AR and Birmingham, AL and moving this week to Jackson, MS. I really don't know anything about Jackson yet and was hoping someone could tell me where the "west little rock" of Jackson is located. What are the best parts of the city? Little Rock has the Clinton Library downtown which has really boosted the downtown area! Does Jackson have anything similar? Lofts in the downtown area? If anyone is familiar with LR...where is the Chenal area of Jackson?
There are several projects under construction now that will become the hot spots of downtown, including the King Edward Hotel (it will actually be a Hilton I believe) which will have hotel rooms and apartments with retail shops and other amenities on the ground floor and the Farish Street Entertainment District which will be home to B.B. King's Ground Zero Blues Club and other restaurants, lounges, etc. There are several places to live downtown including Electric 308, the Plaza Building, Tombigbee Lofts, Foundry Lofts just to name a few. You might also want to check out Fondren, which is an area just north of downtown about 3 miles. It is a node for activity for arts, shopping, dining, live music and more.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times
Little Rock

Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Just came from Jackson. The downtown is THE most dead downtown for a city it's size in America, IMO.
If only it were just dead. But it's more like a zombie that's come back to life (this time, not because of some exotic virus, or radiation from outer space, but because of huge government funds that keep being pumped into it.).

But I don't think it's nearly as dangerous as downtown Littlerock, or Pine Bluff. So that's a good thing you can say about it. In fact, they should change the city slogan "JACKSON: THE CITY WITH SOUL" to "JACKSON: NOT AS BAD AS PINE BLUFF".

And hearing about Jackson on the news is easily the most entertaining thing that goes on in this otherwise dull state. And not just the murders. I love hearing about the 'bright future' the town has. Relatives are alarmed when I start laughing...really loud...when some fool is projecting the economic impact of some new government-funded boondoggle. It's a really insane laugh... It's an "I'm so glad I finally got the Hell out of that Hellhole, and It's not my problem, anymore." kind of laugh.

However, the Sweet Potato Queen/St. Patrick's Day festivities look like enormous fun. I've never bothered to actually go, though. I don't like alcoholics, or drag queens, or alcoholic drag queens who happen to be real girls.... But if I did, I'd go every year. I mean, the parade floats have porto-potties and everything. And I hear all you have to do, basically, to ride in the parade, is to stagger up onto one of the floats. But I might have been misinformed. Tiny Tim was the Mascot, or MC, or something, one year. And there are books, with recipes, about the Sweet Potato Queen, and everything.

And then there's the Dixie National Rodeo, which is the only one in the history of Rodeos where there ain't nothin' dirty going on. No Bucklebunnies, no Brokeback Mountain dudes....nothin'. Just good, clean family entertainment.

There are also film festivals, including a Jewish Film Festival (there are only about a thousand Jews left in all of Mississippi, but lack of demand never stopped Jackson, when Federal funds were available). Problem is, there are no movie theatres left in Jackson...but that isn't stopping anybody, either.

Jackson has had several very important museum exhibitions. The first was Treasures of St. Petersburg. Jackson had every right to be proud of that one. Jackson businessmen had donated many, many, millions of dollars worth of medical equipment and supplies to hospitals in the City of St. Petersburg, at a time when people were dying there from the lack of very basic supplies. The Russians were extremely grateful. The exhibit contained many important treasures that had never before been allowed outside Russia.

With a proven big-exhibit track record, Jackson was then able to produce several more blockbuster exhibits.

And I think Jackson still has THE International Ballet Competition. But that Isn't every year.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
If only it were just dead. But it's more like a zombie that's come back to life (this time, not because of some exotic virus, or radiation from outer space, but because of huge government funds that keep being pumped into it.).

But I don't think it's nearly as dangerous as downtown Littlerock, or Pine Bluff. So that's a good thing you can say about it. In fact, they should change the city slogan "JACKSON: THE CITY WITH SOUL" to "JACKSON: NOT AS BAD AS PINE BLUFF".

And hearing about Jackson on the news is easily the most entertaining thing that goes on in this otherwise dull state. And not just the murders. I love hearing about the 'bright future' the town has. Relatives are alarmed when I start laughing...really loud...when some fool is projecting the economic impact of some new government-funded boondoggle. It's a really insane laugh... It's an "I'm so glad I finally got the Hell out of that Hellhole, and It's not my problem, anymore." kind of laugh.

However, the Sweet Potato Queen/St. Patrick's Day festivities look like enormous fun. I've never bothered to actually go, though. I don't like alcoholics, or drag queens, or alcoholic drag queens who happen to be real girls.... But if I did, I'd go every year. I mean, the parade floats have porto-potties and everything. And I hear all you have to do, basically, to ride in the parade, is to stagger up onto one of the floats. But I might have been misinformed. Tiny Tim was the Mascot, or MC, or something, one year. And there are books, with recipes, about the Sweet Potato Queen, and everything.

And then there's the Dixie National Rodeo, which is the only one in the history of Rodeos where there ain't nothin' dirty going on. No Bucklebunnies, no Brokeback Mountain dudes....nothin'. Just good, clean family entertainment.

There are also film festivals, including a Jewish Film Festival (there are only about a thousand Jews left in all of Mississippi, but lack of demand never stopped Jackson, when Federal funds were available). Problem is, there are no movie theatres left in Jackson...but that isn't stopping anybody, either.

Jackson has had several very important museum exhibitions. The first was Treasures of St. Petersburg. Jackson had every right to be proud of that one. Jackson businessmen had donated many, many, millions of dollars worth of medical equipment and supplies to hospitals in the City of St. Petersburg, at a time when people were dying there from the lack of very basic supplies. The Russians were extremely grateful. The exhibit contained many important treasures that had never before been allowed outside Russia.

With a proven big-exhibit track record, Jackson was then able to produce several more blockbuster exhibits.

And I think Jackson still has THE International Ballet Competition. But that Isn't every year.
Oh, look who it is... surprise, surprise.

It seems you have successfully proven the fact (once again) that you do indeed suffer from little (wo)man syndrome. For all who are unaware, GrandviewGloria hales from the "fancy" suburb community of Madison, MS, where everything (and I mean everything) is built with brick and then covered with fake columns and/or pilasters. They keep touting that they were on Family Circle's "10 Best Towns for Families" list in 2007, which oddly enough identifies good suburbs that have access to big-city opportunities (which in this case would be Jackson). They like to think that their population of just 17,000 and land area of 13.7 square miles is "to die for" yet they can't even keep up with their immediate neighbor Ridgeland which is doing much better.

For being a bedroom community, Madison meets all the standards. It has the required Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's and surrounding fast food joints - there is quite a bit of job opportunities for those looking to work in this type services. For the white collar jobs, the Madisonites travel to Jackson. For every 1 car leaving Jackson headed to Madison at 7 am, there are 20 leaving Madison headed to Jackson.

What is most extraordinary is how they think that they would be just fine if Jackson disappeared tomorrow, and many of them expressively wish that it were so, even though the very existence of the community is dependent on the very thing (Jackson) they despise. If there were ever a community to define hypocrisy, Madison deserves the title.

Oh, and YES, Jackson does still host the USA International Ballet Competition (next one is June 12-27 of next year) and it does come only every 4 years, because IT'S THAT EXCLUSIVE. For someone who likes exclusiveness and "fanciness", I expect to see you there. It's not like you can see this event anywhere else in the USA

[What's sad is that most metro areas work together to make the collective better as a whole, yet here in Jackson, our state capitol, the suburbs do nothing to support the metro and are so selfish that they only tout their respective communities. The debate between Jackson v. burbs went personal a long time ago, and it started with suburbanites talking negatively about our city. A few years ago, a billboard was displayed in Jackson on the interstate saying something to the effect of "Don't forget to turn the lights out on your way out." On the tacky meter, that's pretty far up there. I still can't believe someone had such bad judgement to put up a sign like that.

In my opinion, today, the negativity is vocalized much more by suburbanites, not Jacksonians. It is very politically correct to trash Jackson from the bedroom communities. I've never been in a state where it is so PC to trash the capital city or the state's major city, even in states where those cities have major problems. We've been put on the defensive for a long, long time. At some point, people started fighting back because they got sick of taking BS from people who left. Some of that fighting back gets negative. Maybe that is not ideal, but that is the reality
]

Last edited by jacksonian; 09-09-2009 at 08:23 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Lived in Jackson, MS (North Jackson, so I was no suburbanite sneering my nose)for years. Visited Little Rock many times.

Little Rock >>>> Jackson any day of the week. It's a much nicer City than people give it credit for.

I don't miss the excessive crime, apathetic/complacent populace, lousy schools, and idiotic politicians of Jackson (is Kenneth Stokes still signing proclomations and putting up signs while my Grandmothers ward deteriorates?) One of the happiest days of my life was watching 'Jacktown' from my rearview mirror on I-20. I still have family there, so I'm still obligated to go there on holidays.

As for Madison? It's an ersatz, sterile wannabe podunk Alpharetta/Plano. Oh wait, Madison doesn't even have the large job centers of Alpharetta or Plano. It's more like Franklin (TN) - New money suburbia with people full of an inflated sense of Self-worth. Nothing special.

Last edited by grindin; 09-09-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Lived in Jackson, MS (North Jackson, so I was no suburbanite sneering my nose)for years. Visited Little Rock many times.

Little Rock >>>> Jackson any day of the week. It's a much nicer City than people give it credit for.

I don't miss the excessive crime, apathetic/complacent populace, lousy schools, and idiotic politicians of Jackson (is Kenneth Stokes still signing proclomations and putting up signs while my Grandmothers ward deteriorates?) One of the happiest days of my life was watching 'Jacktown' from my rearview mirror on I-20. I still have family there, so I'm still obligated to go there on holidays.

As for Madison? It's an ersatz, sterile wannabe podunk Alpharetta/Plano. Oh wait, Madison doesn't even have the large job centers of Alpharetta or Plano. It's more like Franklin (TN) - New money suburbia with people full of an inflated sense of Self-worth. Nothing special.
Like someone said earlier, Little Rock is about 5 years ahead of Jackson and I concur with that statement. Jackson is finally starting to come around, but it can only happen as fast as the people who support the changes and growth that needs to occur. Regardless of how bad things got in Jackson, it is still the heart of this metro and the entire state of Mississippi. To neglect the well-being of the capital would be foolish, yet many deem this type of behavior appropriate - which is disheartening.

And thank you for calling Madison for what it is. Madison wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the people who hype it up like it's the next Roman Forum...

Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Like someone said earlier, Little Rock is about 5 years ahead of Jackson and I concur with that statement. Jackson is finally starting to come around, but it can only happen as fast as the people who support the changes and growth that needs to occur. Regardless of how bad things got in Jackson, it is still the heart of this metro and the entire state of Mississippi. To neglect the well-being of the capital would be foolish, yet many deem this type of behavior appropriate - which is disheartening.

And thank you for calling Madison for what it is. Madison wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the people who hype it up like it's the next Roman Forum...

Well I'm glad to see something is happening in Jackson. But I found it equally disheartening to see that there are a large amount of people who seem to be happy with the way things are because (a) They don't know any better [because they've really never been out of the state] or (b) They don't want the city to be any larger than what it is [somewhat understandable]. For every cheerleader there is on Downtown redevelopment, there are just as many people who seem to be against it, which is sad. It will take a lot of change to get Jackson going (including a serious investment of capital into the education and business sectors), not to mention a fundamental change in people's mentality about the City. As for that happening, I have very little faith in humanity, so...

And I really didn't "neglect" or "abandon" Jackson so much as it abandoned and neglected me. Long story, but needless to say, it was really frustrating to deal with the problems there when there were so many people who seemed to be so resistant to see things change. Besides, we can be talking about Jackson, TN or Jackson, Michigan for all I care, but I don't "do" small cities. Not trying to sound elitist, but I needed a much larger city to thrive in.

Fondren is a lot nicer than what it was a decade ago, I'll say that.

I always thought Madison was nice, but find the people there a bit big for their britches. I liked Ridgeland much better.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Little Rock and Jackson are almost indistinguishable. Both are tiny, podunk, redneck towns with absolutely nothing going on other than square dancing at the local honky tonk (complete with the sawdust floor). There are a few differences in the towns but the both have tradeoffs still making them about equal. Jackson has much better shopping as in Little Rock you pretty much have the choice of Wal-Mart or Dillards and if they don't have it you have to go online or drive to Memphis. Little Rock does have a better downtown but if you are used to cities it will definitely put you to sleep. Most of the younger generation drives to Dallas or Memphis on weekend nights for nightlife so downtown is pretty much filled with old drunk rednecks. The job market is very limited to a few professions in both towns, meaning most young college grads have no choice but to move on to bigger and better things. Bottom line is both towns suck and unless you are looking for a country place to retire or "retahr" as they say around here, avoid both of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City