U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM

10 posts, read 24,223 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a 30, single, and considering moving to Bloomington for work. I like the city (sort of the hometown feel I grew up in), but not sure if it is "fun" for a single guy.

I'm planning to buy a place in Chicago as well and was considering heading up to Chicago on the weekends. Is that reasonable?? How long does it take from Bloomington to Chicago?? It seems to be exactly 2 hrs. the couple of times I drove. Is that about right??

Any other comments about Bloomington I would appreciate. Such as shopping, food, movie theaters, etc...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 07:43 AM

3,119 posts, read 4,063,019 times
Its like apples to oranges. Bloomington in one of the greatest college towns in the midwest. Chicago is the greatest big city in the midwest. So your a little old for bloomington nightlife but its still pretty awsome......At least while your in college. Bloomington is diverse and has culture, restaurants, and all that good stuff. I think the drive is at least 3 hours.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:08 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
If Bloomington is your kind of thing, go for it. My personal feeling is that by the time you hit 30, Chicago is a better scene than Bloomington, which is a bit more of a 20s scene. As for buying a place in Chicago... the drive is totally doable, somewhere around 2.5 hours. I hope you've got a lot of money though. Studios in Chicago start at around a hundred grand. To me, that's a lot of scratch for a weekend crash pad. But if you've got the means, have at it. I sure would.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 PM

Chicago is not a "haves and have-nots" town. There is plenty of middle-class here.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Whereas I live squarely in the middle of one of the many middle-class neighborhoods that you don't seem to think exists. We live in modest homes and apartments, we drive Toyotas and Chevys, we eat at mom-and-pop restaurants, etc. We don't drive Mercedes and Porsches. We don't eat at swanky steakhouses. We don't wear fur coats. Our kids don't go to Latin School. We exist -- honest.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:56 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,632,479 times
Uh, I live in Chicago and have a fairly middle class life. Now granted I'm single, so I have an apartment (and a bit of a small one at that) and probably make decisions on spending etc that would be different if I had a family (I probably spend more on entertainment and frivolous stuff, etc than I would if I had children), but believe me, my wages aren't high, yet I'm not struggling to get by, I just probably live in a smaller house than I would if I lived elsewhere. and instead of buying a car, I get by using public transportation and taxis, which I probably pay as much to use each month as I would a modest car elsewhere, but last I checked middle class wasn't defined solely by the size of one's dwelling and how expensive ones car is.

I'm curious now as to how the middle class in Indy differs from the middle class in chicago?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,606 times
look at my profill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or