U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 181 62.85%
Long Island 107 37.15%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,703,267 times

Advertisements

hahhaa, OK you "true NYers"
whatever makes your head big.

Now lets get back on topic instead of discussing a place that has nothing to do with the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM

2,707 posts, read 4,961,655 times
[quote=thefinalcut;9723183]Really? You mean like anybody woudl say, Tribeca is boring lets move to Passaic or Edgewater so I can be a part of those happening neighborhoods?
People move to New Jersey out of necessity not personal preference.[/quote]

Ridiculous comment and totally false. People from NYC generally move to NJ for the same reasons they move to Long Island...to achieve a suburban life. To raise a family where it is safe. Good public schools.

You people all have one-dimensional minds. Can't you comprehend that many people move FROM the city TO the suburbs, by choice, to live a different type of lifestyle?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:43 PM

2,707 posts, read 4,961,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I highly doubt your a native new yorker, first of all. Where were you born in new york? Better yet where were u raised in new york? No real new yorker would be making such a strong case, for jersey of all places. U might have been born here but your not a native new yorker

No you really dont know. What you did a personal survey on thousands of people? U went around north jersey neighborhoods and asked around, knocked on a couple of doors? North jersians in another thread, said that was false, that most people from north new jersey are native jersians and the amount of new yorkers living there is exaggerated. People wanting to move to a suburban atmosphere is understandable but it could be atlanta, florida, connecticut,pennyslyvania wherever.

In the Bronx? False

LOL. Ya'll move anywhere in new york dont play yourself. If people from manhattan and other parts of the city move here, than someone from jersey moving here goes without saying.
Who are you to doubt where I am a native of?

I was born in Staten Island and lived there in my childhood. So...that makes me a NY native, by definition.

Regardless ... I am more proud to be from NJ now, to be honest. So I am not "trying to be something I'm not", or whatever it was you accused me of. Did you call me a "poser". Haha...I haven't heard that since the 80's.

Why am I more proud to be from NJ now? Because NY City is a great CITY, but NJ is a great STATE when you look at it as a whole. NY State as a state doesn't have much going for it. That being said, I love NYC. I just don't spend any time in the Bronx or Queens, because I am not a fan.

Talk to the thousands of people who moved to the Manalapan/Marlboro/Colts Neck areas of NJ from Brooklyn and Staten Island. Ask them if they moved out of necessity. And ask them where they like living better.

Talk to all the Jewish people who moved from NYC to places like Fair Lawn, NJ. Ask them why they moved, and where they like living better.

Living in a sketchy Bronx neighborhood in the Bronx is not EVERYONE's idea of paradise, contrary to what you would have us believe.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:12 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,474,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Who are you to doubt where I am a native of?

I was born in Staten Island and lived there in my childhood. So...that makes me a NY native, by definition.

Regardless ... I am more proud to be from NJ now, to be honest. So I am not "trying to be something I'm not", or whatever it was you accused me of. Did you call me a "poser". Haha...I haven't heard that since the 80's.

Why am I more proud to be from NJ now? Because NY City is a great CITY, but NJ is a great STATE when you look at it as a whole. NY State as a state doesn't have much going for it. That being said, I love NYC. I just don't spend any time in the Bronx or Queens, because I am not a fan.

Talk to the thousands of people who moved to the Manalapan/Marlboro/Colts Neck areas of NJ from Brooklyn and Staten Island. Ask them if they moved out of necessity. And ask them where they like living better.

Talk to all the Jewish people who moved from NYC to places like Fair Lawn, NJ. Ask them why they moved, and where they like living better.

Living in a sketchy Bronx neighborhood in the Bronx is not EVERYONE's idea of paradise, contrary to what you would have us believe.
No that just makes you someone who was born in staten island and left before you were old enough to remember it. Lol i knew it.lol Just needed you to confirm it. Throwing around the fact that your a native new yorker is very misleading. You should have just left the whole native thing alone. LOL at you only being "technically" a native newyorker

The word Poser has been making a comeback lately

Im proud of my city first than state. I dont live in a sketchy area of the bronx, Thats why i had to call you out because you are starting to not even sound like someone from jersey, more like someone from iowa whos new york knowledge is based off the warriors,taxi, The jeffersons, pelham 123 and new york undercover. Someone from HISTORIC JERSEY CITY would/should know that not all of the bronx is sketchy not by a long shot.

I live in a gated community. What is u saying?. Before i talk to the thousands of people who supposedly moved to jersey. Let me first ask the millions who live in the boroughs why they choose to live here. Damn i better get started quick

Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM

398 posts, read 607,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

This is a ridiculous post. First, you admitted you were from Staten Island, which has generally more expensive real estate than in NJ.

On a per square foot, Staten Island is more expensive, which is why people sometimes go to Jersey. More home for the money.

Now Colts Neck is an exception. It's wealthy and has tons of open space, which you can't get on Staten Island (you can a home for the wealthy on SI, in places like Todt Hill and Princes Bay, but not on giant tracts like in Colts Neck).

Obviously if you want giant acreage you cannot live in NYC, but it has nothing to do with Jersey; it's an urban/suburban issue. You can't get giant acreage in places like Short Hills or Livingston, but they are still wealthy. Different strokes for different folks.

Now why does someone from Staten Island go to Jersey instead of Long Island, Westchester or Connecticut? Obviously because it's next-door. It would be a two hour extra commute to move all the way out in Long Island where there are still undeveloped tracts like in Colts Neck.

Then you compare the worst block in the Bronx to Colts Neck. This is obviously a silly comparison, and has nothing to do with NY or NJ. Gee, let's compare Park Avenue in Manhattan to the worst block in Trenton, or let's compare the Hamptons with Camden...

Next, you talk about Jewish people in Fair Lawn. They live there because it's cheap compared to Brooklyn. They cannot afford Brooklyn. Their move to Brooklyn has nothing to do with desirability. Religious Jews generally want to be in Borough Park or Midwood, but the homes are all north of $1 million, so they have established satellite Jewish enclaves all over the tri-state region.

Also, for every family moving to some suburb in NJ, there are many young folks moving from that suburb into NYC. It's basically a wash in terms of migration patterns.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 AM

318 posts, read 61,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
This is a ridiculous post. First, you admitted you were from Staten Island, which has generally more expensive real estate than in NJ.

On a per square foot, Staten Island is more expensive, which is why people sometimes go to Jersey. More home for the money.

Now Colts Neck is an exception. It's wealthy and has tons of open space, which you can't get on Staten Island (you can a home for the wealthy on SI, in places like Todt Hill and Princes Bay, but not on giant tracts like in Colts Neck).

Obviously if you want giant acreage you cannot live in NYC, but it has nothing to do with Jersey; it's an urban/suburban issue. You can't get giant acreage in places like Short Hills or Livingston, but they are still wealthy. Different strokes for different folks.

Now why does someone from Staten Island go to Jersey instead of Long Island, Westchester or Connecticut? Obviously because it's next-door. It would be a two hour extra commute to move all the way out in Long Island where there are still undeveloped tracts like in Colts Neck.

Then you compare the worst block in the Bronx to Colts Neck. This is obviously a silly comparison, and has nothing to do with NY or NJ. Gee, let's compare Park Avenue in Manhattan to the worst block in Trenton, or let's compare the Hamptons with Camden...

Next, you talk about Jewish people in Fair Lawn. They live there because it's cheap compared to Brooklyn. They cannot afford Brooklyn. Their move to Brooklyn has nothing to do with desirability. Religious Jews generally want to be in Borough Park or Midwood, but the homes are all north of $1 million, so they have established satellite Jewish enclaves all over the tri-state region.

Also, for every family moving to some suburb in NJ, there are many young folks moving from that suburb into NYC. It's basically a wash in terms of migration patterns.
Very good, analytical post. Can't rep you again yet.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 AM

4,086 posts, read 5,056,031 times
I have friends from NY and, of course, from NJ. I also have relatives from both. We never argue over any of this stuff. We don't even bring it up. We live our lives as if NYC and Northern NJ are the same area. Because they are. Yes, different states, different cities/towns. But, the same area. I have friends who are 3 brothers from Staten Island - one lives in Brooklyn, one stayed in SI, and one lives in Marlboro. The one in SI almost left but found a home with a decent yard, otherwise he'd have moved to NJ. The one in Bklyn is planning on moving if and when he and his wife have kids. They are thinking of CT or Westchester.

But we rarely even have it come up that Jersey is better or NYC is better or whatever else. When we are doing something, we go wherever it is we decide. So if we're having dinner in Manhattan, we just go there. If it's in Hoboken, we just go there. If it's the shore, we just go there. It never comes up that Jersey is better or NY is better, we just see it all as the same area. Kind of how the NY Giants an Jets play in NJ. So what?

It's weird to me when people argue or talk down to others over this stuff. And, in my objective opinion, I hear a lot more of it from many (certainly not even close to all) New Yorkers who delight in looking down on NJ and bashing it. Such bashing is always out of dire ignorance and is only done by the most ignorant and insecure NYers. But the whole thing is weird, really. It's all the same area, let's just be realistic and not dwell on arguing, splitting hairs.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 AM

3,012 posts, read 3,474,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I have friends from NY and, of course, from NJ. I also have relatives from both. We never argue over any of this stuff. We don't even bring it up. We live our lives as if NYC and Northern NJ are the same area. Because they are. Yes, different states, different cities/towns. But, the same area. I have friends who are 3 brothers from Staten Island - one lives in Brooklyn, one stayed in SI, and one lives in Marlboro. The one in SI almost left but found a home with a decent yard, otherwise he'd have moved to NJ. The one in Bklyn is planning on moving if and when he and his wife have kids. They are thinking of CT or Westchester.

But we rarely even have it come up that Jersey is better or NYC is better or whatever else. When we are doing something, we go wherever it is we decide. So if we're having dinner in Manhattan, we just go there. If it's in Hoboken, we just go there. If it's the shore, we just go there. It never comes up that Jersey is better or NY is better, we just see it all as the same area. Kind of how the NY Giants an Jets play in NJ. So what?

It's weird to me when people argue or talk down to others over this stuff. And, in my objective opinion, I hear a lot more of it from many (certainly not even close to all) New Yorkers who delight in looking down on NJ and bashing it. Such bashing is always out of dire ignorance and is only done by the most ignorant and insecure NYers. But the whole thing is weird, really. It's all the same area, let's just be realistic and not dwell on arguing, splitting hairs.
Theres always been a jersey/new york rivalry always will be ,not really splitting hairs though. My beef was when he said the bronx was 99% cesspool. Confirming what i think jersey city citizens think anyway. That why i responded in the way that i did

Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,703,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Theres always been a jersey/new york rivalry always will be ,not really splitting hairs though. My beef was when he said the bronx was 99% cesspool. Confirming what i think jersey city citizens think anyway. That why i responded in the way that i did
I never knew that...
Since NY mooches off NJ for so many things like shopping with no sales tax (you wouldn't believe holiday traffic here with all the NYers going to the Garde State Plaza), going to the shore by the millions every year, Atlantic City, Work (Newark-Elizabeth mostly), and all of the people from 4 of the 5 boroughs (excluding Queens) that move to NJ for a better life.

Yeah, NJ uses NYC aswell (I know i do, i just went yesterday), but that's just a fortunate necessity NJ has... You could say the same thing about NYC having NJ so close because you guys use this state more than you use your own state (excluding NYC).. but that's if your not so stubborn and narrowminded.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:11 AM

6,970 posts, read 12,475,059 times
i know nj'ans who work in nyc. i know nyc residents who work in jersey
i also know nyc residents living in nj and vice versa

this rivalry is nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City