U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 168 62.45%
Long Island 101 37.55%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,894,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
In LI you are STUCK on a miserable flat island, in NJ you are part of a vast continent and can go anywhere.
LI always makes me want to ESCAPE from LI before you get stuck in the crazy bogged down traffic of everyone else trying to escape.
They do that each day. Gets way old.

So I guess almost everyday we're all fleeing the island trying to escape? Yeah, we spend all our time trying to do that . We have everything we need here and really only leave the island when going on vacation. And most of the time I fly places.

At least we have 3 airports on the island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:12 PM

98 posts, read 96,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
So I guess almost everyday we're all fleeing the island trying to escape? Yeah, we spend all our time trying to do that . We have everything we need here and really only leave the island when going on vacation. And most of the time I fly places.

At least we have 3 airports on the island
Never forget, which most people do, that both Queens and Brooklyn are located on Long Island so besides three airports you have an actual city to go to. Now, what are the urban and cultural centers of New Jersey???

Last edited by broadwaynow; 12-12-2009 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 03:16 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,894,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaynow View Post
Never forget, which most people do, that both Queens and Brooklyn are technically located on Long Island
That's definitely true and gives us the advantage

Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,970,499 times
Quote:
Never forget, which most people do, that both Queens and Brooklyn are technically located on Long Island so besides three airports you have an actual city to go to. Now, what are the urban and cultural centers of New Jersey???
If that makes you feel better, okay.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:25 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,970,499 times
Quote:
Let them show you a 5.5M city in New Jersey... Good luck with that
Technically...............

Old 12-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
If that makes you feel better, okay.

No need to get defensive, I just stated the fact. Especially since Long Island has been called a flat miserable island just a few posts before this one... Most (5.5M) of the most amazing city on the planet. How miserable compared to "extremely urbanized New Jersey" is this?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Technically...............
I am sorry I misspoke, Brooklyn and Queens are both located on Long Island. It's not technicallity, it's geography

Last edited by broadwaynow; 12-12-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM

6,736 posts, read 7,330,840 times
Quote:
Let them show you a 5.5M city in New Jersey... Good luck with that
Are we looking for more people? I hope not. New Jersey's treasure is its farmland, parks and forests.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:51 PM

7,618 posts, read 8,854,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Are we looking for more people? I hope not. New Jersey's treasure is its farmland, parks and forests.
Which Long Island has as well, I love Jersey (specifically South Jersey) but I can't take the Long Island bashing, LI is a great place, both are similar.

I'd choose Long Island over North Jersey but I'd probably take South Jersey over Long Island.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,722,491 times
Default Not all of North Jersey is Elizabeth or Newark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Which Long Island has as well, I love Jersey (specifically South Jersey) but I can't take the Long Island bashing, LI is a great place, both are similar.

I'd choose Long Island over North Jersey but I'd probably take South Jersey over Long Island.
We went to a lot of places for hockey all over the state. There are towns on the Palasades that overlook the Hudson that are beautiful. Don't ask me the names of them though. Then you go to the border of NY near Albany and again, it is beautiful. Then there is the western border (north) near the foothills of the Poconos. Very, very nice in the Dover, Lake Hopatcong area.

Certainly, I would prefer LI have lived and raised a family there, but I would certainly not hestiate to move to a LOT of places in NJ, especialy from where I now am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City