U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City?
New York City 74 60.16%
San Francisco 49 39.84%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 AM

24,928 posts, read 31,755,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
No, it's not.

No, it's not.

No, it's not. New York beats it, so I'm sorry.
NY beats European Cities perhaps, but most definitely not SF.

The Bay Area is probably the best place to live in the whole world. I know, Ive lived darn near everywhere including NY and Europe.

I realize that this bruises the ego of many to read, but the truth hurts sometimes. But that's how we learn and grow.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM

0 posts, read 266,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
NY beats European Cities perhaps, but most definitely not SF.

The Bay Area is probably the best place to live in the whole world. I know, Ive lived darn near everywhere including NY and Europe.

I realize that this bruises the ego of many to read, but the truth hurts sometimes. But that's how we learn and grow.

HAH, you are a funny. The Bay area is the best place in the world? SF is not even the best in the country, let alone the world!

P.S., I've been everywhere and you must be delusional...or on some very heavy drugs.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:04 PM

SF the best city in the world? Is SF even the best city on the West Coast of our country? I don't think so.

Come on now SF is a good town but it's not on the same level as NY.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 PM

1,425 posts, read 2,959,481 times
^^ Yeah SF isn't on the same level as NY but it's definently a Better place Live and Raise Kids.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
^^ Yeah SF isn't on the same level as NY but it's definently a Better place Live and Raise Kids.
No, it's not a better place to live and raise kids. To you it might be better, but that's an opinion. I happen to think New York is a better pace to live and raise kids....but that doesn't make it a fact.

If it was such a better place to live, San Franciscans wouldn't be moving to NYC at a higher rate than New Yorkers move to San Francisco even though NY is a more expensive city.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM

19,193 posts, read 50,030,673 times
NYC by a mile for me.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,634,655 times
LOL I can't believe how bent out of shape some people get by the thought that someone would choose SF over NYC or that they think it actually beats it out. Would y'all be jumping all over someone who claimed that Jackson, MS was the best city in the world? I'm guessing you guys would ignore anyone who would make a comment like that. And since several of you are so adamantly trying to prove that SF is not the greatest place on Earth, rather than just respecting the positive opinion someone has of their home, you kind of give merit to their argument indirectly. If it wasn't anything special, comments like those wouldn't make any difference to you guys. Too funny.

I love SF, and I could care less about how well it matches up against anywhere else. It is what it is, and I feel as complete here as I can imagine I could be anywhere else. But I think it speaks volumes for the City of San Francisco that so many comparisons are drawn between it and NYC, and the fact that a city of such diminutive size (as so many of you haters and critics like to point out in an attempt to trivialize it lol) can have such a huge national and even global impact is amazing.

Any US city matched up with NYC is going to lose; its a mega-city that might as well be 5 major cities combined into one. It is unmatched in the US. The fact that little SF is thought of as a possible match for a city 10 times its size is very impressive. There's no shame in a defeat like that. We're in great company being compared to NYC.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,482,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
SF the best city in the world? Is SF even the best city on the West Coast of our country? I don't think so.

Come on now SF is a good town but it's not on the same level as NY.
Yes.
and PREEEACH JMAN! major love to the 650.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,634,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Manhattan is very glamorous. Nothing goes on in SF. No premiers, no media, no media events, no international elite, no celebrities, no galas on the scale as NY, no sports events, no fashion weeks, nothing!
Wow, you are very uninformed. You apparently know too little about what goes on in SF to even speak up, and you definitely should not be speaking in absolutes here.

By "No premiers," what exactly are you referring to? If you mean we have no Prime Ministers here, then you are correct. But if you mean we have no PREMIERES here, you'd have to be more specific. Movie premieres happen here all the time. Heard of the movies "Milk" or "Gran Torino?" They both premiered here before other cities got them. Exactly what kind of "premiers" do we not have here that you had in mind?

"no media" - As in what exactly? We have plenty of local media. We have Pixar Entertainment right here. Lucasfilm is in the Presidio. What are you even talking about?

"no media events" - Such as??? Another ignorant blanket statement. Do you mean award shows maybe? Conan O'Brien aired his show from SF for a week last year. Eli Stone and Journeyman were 2 of several TV shows that were based and partially filmed here in SF. Tons of movies are filmed here. Again, what are you talking about?

"no international elite, no celebrities" - Living here or visiting here? We have plenty of both. Dave Chappelle, Robin Williams and Al Gore all have residences here, Sean Penn lives in Marin County, Carlos Santana lives here and went to high school at Mission High in SF after moving here from Mexico ... you know I'll just stop there b/c I shouldn't need too many examples to prove you wrong.

"no galas on the scale as NY" - Because you've been to all the galas out here to make an educated comparison? Your opinion holds no merit after all the other failed examples you gave, and I would have no idea who's galas to compare side by side, so I'll leave that one alone, as should you.

"no sports events" - Are you on glue? We have everything from Pro Football, Baseball, Basketball & Hockey to Arena League Football and Lacrosse! The 49ers were the first NFL team to win 5 Superbowls! Not to mention college sports. You know nothing!!

"no fashion weeks" - There is a San Francisco Fashion Week, genius! SFBayStyle: San Francisco Fashion Week Scoop

"nothing!" - Yeah, you totally proved how there's nothing here. Point well made. Question, is it uncomfortable having your foot jammed that far in your mouth?

If you've even been here before at all, which I highly doubt, you definitely managed to be as far away from being "in the know" as I've seen anyone be. Good job!

There are plenty of ways that NYC trumps SF, but let's at least acknowledge that SF is a contender and has plenty of its own to offer. And in several ways SF trumps NYC right back. It's hardly a place that has "nothing" going on in it.

Last edited by jman650; 02-10-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 09:59 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,332,258 times
I'll take SF because of the scenery and the transit is pretty damn good also (though obviously NYC's is better).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City