Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the best?
Texas 27 46.55%
California 31 53.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
. . . posted by someone who values none of that. Some of us do.
You know me so well.[/sarcasm]

If that's the case, then why are most people not flocking to these areas? Why aren't you? How many people in this country actually walk where they have to go, or care to? How many people in this country gush over density like the people here? Since when was "culture" limited to a bunch of pretentious art museums, theatre, or opera? Especially when they aren't exclusive to a handful of cities, or even a region? And since when did a place have "character"? It's just a place. I never knew the cities of New York or Chicago themselves had integrity, or honesty. Or were hardworking individuals. Hell, I never knew they were people for that matter. Perhaps I should get to know them better.

Here, it is just used as pseudo-powerwords for some to justify their jealousy or bitterness. As if it's supposed to be the end-all to a discussion. You, being such the "cultured", high-end individual should have known this. Shame on you.

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 02-10-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
You know me so well.[/sarcasm]

If that's the case, then why are most people not flocking to these areas? Why aren't you? How many people in this country actually walk where they have to go, or care to? How many people in this country gush over density like the people here? Since when was "culture" limited to a bunch of pretentious art museums, theatre, or opera? Especially when they aren't exclusive to a handful of cities, or even a region? And since when did a place have "character"? It's just a place. I never knew the cities of New York or Chicago themselves had integrity, or honesty. Or were hardworking individuals. Hell, I never knew they were people for that matter. Perhaps I should get to know them better.

Here, it is just used as pseudo-powerwords for some to justify their jealousy or bitterness. As if it's supposed to be the end-all to a discussion. You, being such the "cultured", high-end individual should have known this. Shame on you.
Great post! Domino is nothing more than a troll trying to get arguments started on here

Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Great post! Domino is nothing more than a troll trying to get arguments started on here
Because my opinion differs from yours, I am a troll? The poster dissed some things I like about certain states, and I'm not free to defend my position. Unless I prefer TX to CA, I'm not free to post on this topic? Thanks for clarifying.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM

514 posts, read 765,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yeah, California is so superior that they are bankrupt, the housing market is in shambles and illegals practically run their state!

The illegal problem is a Federal problem, which causes financial difficulty in both Texas but especially California. Their presence costs CA about $5 billion a year. Bush2, who I believe is a Texan, promised in 2000 to have the Feds pick up these costs. He said he understood this because he was governor of a border state. He lied. He didn't keep his promise because he was beholden to mostly Republican businesses, which employ said illegals. Reagan, a Californian, granted amnesty in 1996 for the same reasons.

California's main problems are that it takes a 2/3 vote to pass a budget. And that we get back 80 cents on the dollar for our tax money that we send to DC. Texas has a similar deficit but not quite as severe. MS, on the other hand, gets back $2 for every dollar that it sends. TX and CA are subsidizing many of the other states. Add these two things together and CA is not in such bad shape.

Our housing problems were also a Federal problem and the fact that we have little flat land on which to build. And we are still a very desirable place to live. There are good reasons for the fact that CA's population is about 14 MILLION more than Texas even though we have little flat land left and that Texas far exceeds us in land area. We are the first state to face these population pressures and it's not surprising to see folks leave. This happens every recession or so and was accelerated by the huge equities accumulated by some, which allowed them to take hundreds of thousands of dollars with them to other states.

You're disdain for CA is well-known but reveals a certain amount of immaturity on your part. You seem to delight and rejoice in our problems, which shows a rather visible character flaw. Did somebody do you wrong in PB? Everywhere in the U.S. is a good place to live for someone. But there are far more people living here than anywhere else, including Texas and we're not all idiots.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Because my opinion differs from yours, I am a troll? The poster dissed some things I like about certain states, and I'm not free to defend my position. Unless I prefer TX to CA, I'm not free to post on this topic? Thanks for clarifying.
Dude you have some serious inferiority complex issues.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dude you have some serious inferiority complex issues.
I may have, but the topic is TX vs. CA. I find it hard to take seriously anyone who can say (or type) with a straight face that TX is preferable to CA. Probably just my inferiority complex raising its ugly face.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
I may have, but the topic is TX vs. CA. I find it hard to take seriously anyone who can say (or type) with a straight face that TX is preferable to CA. Probably just my inferiority complex raising its ugly face.
It's ok and I understand, I live in Houston.....so I'm inferior as well, but it's ok.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times
Quote:
The poster dissed some things I like about certain states, and I'm not free to defend my position.
No dissing going on here. It's just that people try and pass off their opinions as fact.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
The illegal problem is a Federal problem, which causes financial difficulty in both Texas but especially California. Their presence costs CA about $5 billion a year. Bush2, who I believe is a Texan, promised in 2000 to have the Feds pick up these costs. He said he understood this because he was governor of a border state. He lied. He didn't keep his promise because he was beholden to mostly Republican businesses, which employ said illegals. Reagan, a Californian, granted amnesty in 1996 for the same reasons.

California's main problems are that it takes a 2/3 vote to pass a budget. And that we get back 80 cents on the dollar for our tax money that we send to DC. Texas has a similar deficit but not quite as severe. MS, on the other hand, gets back $2 for every dollar that it sends. TX and CA are subsidizing many of the other states. Add these two things together and CA is not in such bad shape.

Our housing problems were also a Federal problem and the fact that we have little flat land on which to build. And we are still a very desirable place to live. There are good reasons for the fact that CA's population is about 14 MILLION more than Texas even though we have little flat land left and that Texas far exceeds us in land area. We are the first state to face these population pressures and it's not surprising to see folks leave. This happens every recession or so and was accelerated by the huge equities accumulated by some, which allowed them to take hundreds of thousands of dollars with them to other states.

You're disdain for CA is well-known but reveals a certain amount of immaturity on your part. You seem to delight and rejoice in our problems, which shows a rather visible character flaw. Did somebody do you wrong in PB? Everywhere in the U.S. is a good place to live for someone. But there are far more people living here than anywhere else, including Texas and we're not all idiots.
And I feel bad for the hard working people in your state (like you) that have to suffer at the hand of those who run the state including the militant liberal mafia

Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
No dissing going on here. It's just that people try and pass off their opinions as fact.
And some people like to be pedantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City