U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 PM

10,180 posts, read 5,145,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Please, someone start posting photos of Chicago and Brooklyn
Brooklyn:

Chicago:

As for me in this thread, I want to go with this:

^^ For those that don't know, the picture is Chicago. Brooklyn is cool, but Chicago is more of a place I prefer (in my opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:58 PM

17,565 posts, read 10,034,466 times
Quote:
So you can seriously compare Chicago to a borough of New York with a straight face? The point I keep making is that some New Yorkers have to wake-up and maybe get out of NYC once in a while. Brooklyn and the Bronx were immensely unimpressive based on what I saw. It's like suggesting that Burbank has character compared to Chicago or NYC. Yeah, I guess there is a little to be said for Burbank but to compare it to Chicago would be completely nonsensical. To be quite honest, Los Angeles suburbs like Santa Monica and Pasadena have so much more to offer than Brooklyn yet I would never make the comparison since both are barely 200,000 people. Chicago compared to Brooklyn is like London compared to Mexico City; they are both very large cities with "leafy and green" neighborhoods. Sooooo?
Your provocations are very entertaining, I might say. Chicago is cool, but as Chuck D said about Brooklyn, "the name alone rings godly." I, for one, think that Brooklyn has far more flavor than sterile Manhattan. It's the livest borough.

Chicago has no equivalent of the Fort Green/Clinton Hill brownstone party. Brooklyn summers are simply incredible.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,481,056 times
Thanks Danny; beautiful shoots of both Chicago and Brooklyn. But as your photos make abundantly clear, Chicago is a major city with skyscrapers on par with Manhattan. Brooklyn is a bedroom community of NYC where people live and commute into Manhattan for work similar to the surrounding suburbs of Chicago. Brooklyn just happens to be larger than most suburbs and like all metro areas, it has some very nice neighborhoods and maybe a few business districts. But Brooklyn is no Chicago or no any other major city; it is a borough of New York that sits in the huge shadow of Manhattan.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM

4,528 posts, read 5,206,999 times
I grew up in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. Imagine all of Chicago's population in a land area smaller than the Northside. Brooklyn is way more dense and diverse than Chicago. I'm not saying Brooklyn is better but people here don't realize how amazing the borough is. The streets are compact and always buzzing especially in the summer. Damn, I want a flavored ice now.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,481,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Your provocations are very entertaining, I might say. Chicago is cool, but as Chuck D said about Brooklyn, "the name alone rings godly." I, for one, think that Brooklyn has far more flavor than sterile Manhattan. It's the livest borough.

Chicago has no equivalent of the Fort Green/Clinton Hill brownstone party. Brooklyn summers are simply incredible.
Yeah, you are right. Brooklyn has history but it's heyday is long over just like the fact that the Dodgers left over 50 years. Frankly I found the Bronx to also be lively but maybe not in the same way you are suggesting. As far as summers, I can't really compare Brooklyn to Manhattan or Chicago; I suppose all three areas have lots of activity.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:14 PM

2,350 posts, read 1,728,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I grew up in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. Imagine all of Chicago's population in a land area smaller than the Northside. Brooklyn is way more dense and diverse than Chicago. I'm not saying Brooklyn is better but people here don't realize how amazing the borough is. The streets are compact and always buzzing especially in the summer. Damn, I want a flavored ice now.
I'd like to see stats proving Brooklyn is 'way more diverse than Chicago'. I'm not saying that it isn't but I want to see some numbers to back that up.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:26 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,017,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'd like to see stats proving Brooklyn is 'way more diverse than Chicago'. I'm not saying that it isn't but I want to see some numbers to back that up.
Brooklyn:
White: 34.7
Black - 34.4
Hispanic - 19.8
Asian - 7.5
Two or more Races - 2.8

Chicago:
Black - 34.2
White - 31.3
Hispanic - 28.1
Asian - 4.8
Two or more Races - 1.0

Not sure if this is "way" more diversity.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you are right. Brooklyn has history but it's heyday is long over just like the fact that the Dodgers left over 50 years. Frankly I found the Bronx to also be lively but maybe not in the same way you are suggesting. As far as summers, I can't really compare Brooklyn to Manhattan or Chicago; I suppose all three areas have lots of activity.
Let me put it this way. I deeply regret moving to Washington, DC when I had job opportunities in NYC. I am so hoping to get to NYC in the next six months and move to, guess where, Brooklyn.

Brooklyn's heyday is far from over. It is, in my opinion, the most exciting place in the world to be if you're under 30. When I lived there for a summer, I had the most fun I've ever had in my life. I mean, we would meet all of the other people on the block and skip from stoop to stoop, brownstone to brownstone, and just walk right in for dinner. Every dinner was pretty much a potluck dinner because someone would just walk into your house with some food and it was on. If we heard a party going on on the other block, we'd walk right in, and others did the same when we had parties. If we met some cute interns in town for the summer, we'd invite them over to lounge on our stoop and hand them some Coronas with lime wedges. As far as I'm concerned, it's the ultimate urban living experience.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM

2,350 posts, read 1,728,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Brooklyn:
White: 34.7
Black - 34.4
Hispanic - 19.8
Asian - 7.5
Two or more Races - 2.8

Chicago:
Black - 34.2
White - 31.3
Hispanic - 28.1
Asian - 4.8
Two or more Races - 1.0

Not sure if this is "way" more diversity.
Looks about equal to me. I'll bet that ethnic diversity isn't all that much different either.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Looks about equal to me. I'll bet that ethnic diversity isn't all that much different either.
Well, in Brooklyn, you're obviously going to get many more types of blacks, many more types of Jews, and probably many more types of Hispanics. That might not be ethnic diversity per se, but there's a big difference between the black West Indian communities in Flatbush and those on the Southside of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City