Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,240,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Anyway, I really liked NYC but when it came to the boroughs I frankly was not all that excited by what I saw because everything seems to be very old and worn down, the streets had hardly any trees and no gardens. It was very loud and a little smelly. That's what I observed but am open to the suggest that I should go back to the 3 boroughs I saw: Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens to take a longer look. But most of the people I spoke with kept telling me that they hated living in these areas of New York.
You were in very urban areas. But you had limited time and it's just your first impression. And honestly if I was in your shoes I probably would've felt the same way. Northwest Queens, Brooklyn, & the Southern Bronx never appealed to me as far as living goes because of...well pretty much what you described. My area of NYC, despite being one of it's worst neighborhoods has a lot of trees and it doesn't smell. It's mostly suburban, it has plenty of abandoned houses and vacant lots and isn't that clean but neighboring neighborhoods are the opposite and are also suburban.

Now because Brooklyn isn't a city Chicago obviously trumps it in certain categories but I'll make a detailed comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,326,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Well if we really want to take this up a notch, I don't mind putting it in these terms:

Chicago Advantage (Ethnically):
01. Czech
02. Danish
03. Dutch
04. English
05. French
06. French Canadian
07. German
08. Greek
09. Irish
10. Lithuanian
11. Norwegian
12. Polish
13. Scotch-Irish
14. Scottish
15. Slovak
16. Swedish
17. Swiss
18. Welsh
19. Asian Indian
20. Cambodian
21. Filipino
22. Japanese
23. Korean
24. Laotian
25. Malaysian
26. Sri Lankan
27. Thai
28. Vietnamese
29. Mexican
30. Guatemalan
31. Uruguayan

Brooklyn Advantage (Ethnically):
01. Arab
02. Hungarian
03. Italian
04. Portuguese
05. Russian
06. Subsaharan African
07. Ukrainian
08. West Indian
09. Bangladeshi
10. Chinese
11. Indonesian
12. Pakistani
13. Taiwanese
14. Puerto Rican
15. Cuban
16. Dominican
17. Costa Rican
18. Honduran
19. Nicaraguan
20. Panamanian
21. Salvadoran
22. Argentinean
23. Bolivian
24. Chilean
25. Colombian
26. Ecuadorian
27. Paraguayan
28. Peruvian
29. Venezuelan
30. Spaniard

Surprisingly from everything the data would give me, they come out to roughly the same. Go figure to those saying "way more diverse" and stuff. When I was doing the European & Asian ones it seemed like Chicago would just run off with the advantages but when it got to Hispanics, Brooklyn really started closing in the gap and rather fast.

Brooklyn has more Hispanics of given ethnicities & Chicago has more Asians of given ethnicities, but does that mean Brooklyn doesn't have Asians or that Chicago doesn't have Hispanics? No absolutely not, people must be foolish to make a claim such as that. They are the same in diversity (each one has an upper hand over the other in given fields) and so they are comparable. For people saying "way more diverse" for either, are you freakin insane? Are you oblivious to facts? LOL
i do not buy that list because they put west indians/Africans in one category. If they hadn't Brooklyn would clearly win.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,326,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
so where arguing with a guy that got all his information

1. In four days of being in nyc
2. Who stayed in a poverty stricken area of the bronx for the better part of those four days
3. Got all his information on queens via going to a wedding reception there and whatever he saw on the ride to it
4. Has vast knowledge of brooklyn by strolling two neighborhoods

O i almost forgot 5. Backs up his factual information with inaccurate google pics
yea everytime you try to explain google to this guy califonia sur he claims that your in denial. I just cant wait till someone posts a misleading Google pic of l.a and to see california sur come running to the rescue of correction.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea everytime you try to explain google to this guy califonia sur he claims that your in denial. I just cant wait till someone posts a misleading Google pic of l.a and to see california sur come running to the rescue of correction.

Here's Google's photos of Los Angeles: photos of los angeles - Google Search

And Google's photos of Queens: photos of queens - Google Search

What is so pathetic is that some New Yorkers can't even handle something as innocuous as photos and desperately want to deny that those photos are Queens! This is so funny and reveals how utterly bankrupt the pro-Queens are. Now even Google is lying!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Here's Google's photos of Los Angeles: photos of los angeles - Google Search

And Google's photos of Queens: photos of queens - Google Search

What is so pathetic is that some New Yorkers can't even handle something as innocuous as photos and desperately want to deny that those photos are Queens! This is so funny and reveals how utterly bankrupt the pro-Queens are. Now even Google is lying!
What does Queens have do to with "Chicago vs Brooklyn", I'll show you the Queens you probably didn't get to see being that you were in NY for a short time. It's pretty foolish to judge a whole place with like 100 neighborhoods based off of 1-2 neighborhoods.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 PM

758 posts, read 1,951,941 times
Californio, you are entitled to your opinion, but I think that I speak for basically everyone when I say your logic is idiotic.

First, you have, without question, never been to Brooklyn. You claimed you went to Brooklyn Heights and Coney Island, and then said all the buildings look exactly the same.

If you knew anything about either neighborhood, you would know that there are almost NO buildings that look the same! Brooklyn Heights has every type of building from the last 300 years. There is no "typical" building in this area. You have wooden farmhouses, 50 floor glass condos, and everything in between.

If I had to say, the most common buildings are probably prewar apartment buildings, and brownstones of various eras, but I'm not even confident of this.

So you are free to dislike any area, but to say you dislike Brooklyn because everything looks the same, is, frankly, stupid.

Now if you go to Chicago, you see the vast bungalow belt, where it is true that every house looks the same. And LA has vast areas of identical housing, at least in the newer neighborhoods. But Brooklyn, hell no, not anywhere.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
And while we are at it, let's take a look at Google's photos of Brooklyn: photos of brooklyn - Google Search

But keep in mind, New Yorkers are convinced that Google is an evil lying Internet monster intent on portraying Brooklyn as a rather boring-looking borough when everyone knows New York City is utter paradise more beautiful than Chicago or any ol city in the whole entire world.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,951,941 times
Quote:
And while we are at it, let's take a look at Google's photos of Brooklyn: photos of brooklyn - Google Search
We're thrilled you have heard of this crazy new Google thing, but what does this have to do with the thread?

You are aware that Google posts by relevance, correct? What does a Google search of topics related to Brooklyn have to do with the prevailing housing stock in Brooklyn?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:

But keep in mind, New Yorkers are convinced that Google is an evil lying Internet monster intent on portraying Brooklyn as a rather boring-looking borough when everyone knows New York City is utter paradise more beautiful than Chicago or any ol city in the whole entire world.
Oh but I'm sure Pasadena is just fun in the sun and palm trees and wranglers and surf boards (yes I know it's inland but still). You was the same person in the NYC section praising NYC and how you had such a good time. Visiting a part of Brooklyn/Queens somehow makes someone an expert. And at one point in time I thought you were actually a decent poster lol. "New Yorkers", no one said NYC is a paradise, as for me personally I keep it 100% and I'm a New Yorker "so you can run and tell that!" lmfao.

You know what, it's no use wasting any energy in this section when 50% of everyone is either a stubborn homer, a 2nd account, or a troll.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 PM

379 posts, read 462,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Oh but I'm sure Pasadena is just fun in the sun and palm trees and wranglers and surf boards (yes I know it's inland but still). You was the same person in the NYC section praising NYC and how you had such a good time. Visiting a part of Brooklyn/Queens somehow makes someone an expert. And at one point in time I thought you were actually a decent poster lol. "New Yorkers", no one said NYC is a paradise, as for me personally I keep it 100% and I'm a New Yorker "so you can run and tell that!"

You know what, it's no use wasting any energy in this section when 50% of everyone is either a stubborn homer, a 2nd account, or a troll.
I like you man, you are one of the few on this site to keep it real. Props. I know you're still very very young, and I hope eventually you find the locale which brings you happiness. Til then, keep on keeping on. There are maybe 5 posters on this effing nonsese board who are honest, and you're one of them. As a New Yorker, I may not agree with your views toward this great city, but by god, do you keep it real. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City