Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times

Advertisements

"LA stomps on Chicago. Only the homers on this thread would disagree.

Let's see, a glamorous sun-kissed entertainment capital between the oceans and mountains, or a freezing, declining rustbelt town filled with fat, ugly people who talk funny? And then there's the crime, population loss, corruption, pollution, segregation, etc.

And there's literally nothing but farms and factories for hours and hours."

One of Ohio248's previous posts, just to give you an idea where he's coming from. This post should be placed in the Trolling Hall of Fame, under the heading "Most Absurd."

Fat, ugly people? WTH? Care to post a pic, Ohio? And are you from Ohio, or why the username, anyway? Chicago is FULL of absolutely gorgeous women - I'd say a higher proportion than any US city. My sister was a professional model back in the '80s (she did most of her work in Tokyo but was based in Chicago).. and.. geez.. I'd just love to have here and just totally knock the verbal crap out of you. We're black (well, mixed/half-black with relatively light skin), but we're both very slender - I'm just way too tiny/short to model (plus, I have a goofy-looking face ). But the reason the Chicago area would have a lot of potential models is that it's full of ethnic Scandinavians/Germans (and ethnically similar people). Perhaps the modeling industry's racist (I'd suggest that it is, but that's a topic for another thread), but, well, it is what it is. (I actually have a significant amount of Germany ancestry, myself.. it's a weird feeling, especially when you throw into the equation that I'm often mistaken for Indian [as in, Subcontinent.. not Native American]).

And Chicago's hardly the 'Rust Belt' in any technical sense. I spent a lot of my growing up years in the Chicago area and frankly don't remember any factories, really, either in the cities or the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
"LA stomps on Chicago. Only the homers on this thread would disagree.

Let's see, a glamorous sun-kissed entertainment capital between the oceans and mountains, or a freezing, declining rustbelt town filled with fat, ugly people who talk funny? And then there's the crime, population loss, corruption, pollution, segregation, etc.

And there's literally nothing but farms and factories for hours and hours."

One of Ohio248's previous posts, just to give you an idea where he's coming from. This post should be placed in the Trolling Hall of Fame, under the heading "Most Absurd."

Fat, ugly people? WTH? Care to post a pic, Ohio? And are you from Ohio, or why the username, anyway? Chicago is FULL of absolutely gorgeous women - I'd say a higher proportion than any US city. My sister was a professional model back in the '80s (she did most of her work in Tokyo but was based in Chicago).. and.. geez.. I'd just love to have here and just totally knock the verbal crap out of you. We're black (well, mixed/half-black), but we're both very slender - I'm just way too tiny/short to model (plus, I have a goofy-looking face ). But the reason the Chicago area would have a lot of potential models is that it's full of ethnic Scandinavians/Germans (and ethnically similar people). Perhaps the modeling industry's racist (I'd suggest that it is, but that's a topic for another thread), but, well, it is what it is. (I actually have a significant amount of Germany ancestry, myself.. it's a weird feeling, especially when you throw into the equation that I'm often mistaken for Indian [as in, Subcontinent.. not Native American]).

And Chicago's hardly the 'Rust Belt' in any technical sense. I spent a lot of my growing up years in the Chicago area and frankly don't remember any factories, really, either in the cities or the suburbs.
I gave my opinions, and the facts back up my assertions.

Obviously, Chicago is the Capital of the Rust Belt. No debate there.

Obviously, Chicago is ranked as one of the fattest cities, and the Midwest is one of the fattest areas. No debate there.

Obviously, Chicago is surrounded by flat farmland for hundreds of miles. No debate there.

Are you debating the crime, population loss, corruption, segregation, etc.?

I think most non-biased forumers would say you are crazy if you claim that Chicago doesn't have high crime, population loss, corruption or segregation. You need examples??

Old 11-03-2010, 12:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Chicago is not the capital of the rusbelt.
Debate
Gary, milwuakee are not farms.
Debate

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Debate
Debate
Lake Michigan is not a farm.
Debate.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
I'm not fat
Debate.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Debate
The Rust Belt is the American Midwest/Great Lakes region, and Chicago is the capital of this region.

There is no debate that Chicago is capital of the Rust Belt.
Quote:
Debate
Yes, this is true, and completely irrevelent.

No one said that there is no city in the Rust Belt outside of Chicago.

What was stated (and which is 100% correct) is that Chicago is surrounded by hundreds of miles of farmland on all sides, which is fact.

Obviously farms do not exist without people. There are obviously always farms interspersed with human settlements.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Forgive me, it's Wikipedia, but it seems to be the fairly standard take on the issue:

"The "Rust belt" is an area in the northeastern United States whose economy was formerly based largely on heavy industry, manufacturing, and associated industries. This area is roughly defined as comprising the northern sections of Indiana and Ohio; the southern section of Michigan; parts of New York; most of Pennsylvania; and northern parts of West Virginia, especially that state's Northern Panhandle."

Interesting choice of 'capital,' there, Ohio (and speaking of Rust Belts... *whistles innocently*)...

Chicago is a financial/agricultural city. It has NEVER been a major manufacturing city in any sense whatsoever. Sorry, you lose. Thanks for playing.

What's interesting to me about all of this is I'm sure that Ohio248 is liberal/progressive (as am I, in many respects), but he's borrowing a standard Tea Party/Obama-bashing line about Chicago being 'corrupt' in order to help him make his point.. whatever that point is. (I still think he was dumped by a woman in Chicago.) Honestly, a city can be corrupt and still a great place to live. Ever read about Pendergast and Kansas City, Missouri during the Great Depression? It really comes down to whether the 'city boss' *loves* the city or not. And don't get me started on corruption the in DC area...

On a more serious note, though.. your hatred for Chicago is unhealthy (again, I'm curious about its origins... hatred this strong usually has to do with the subject feeling that (s)he was personally harmed/wounded/taken advantage of/whatever by the object, unless you're talking some sort of genuine psychosis - and the latter is very obviously not going on in your case). All you can do is throw out an alphabet soup of random, nonsensical words that you feel somehow pertain to Chicago and most people would consider icky-bad-sounding - "Rust Belt!" "Corruption!" "No ocean!" "Farms!" You're like a parody of yourself. (I actually posted a parody of you [without realizing it at the time!] a few months ago on the Chicago section... I thought I was exaggerating beyond what any actual poster would ever say, but apparently I was wrong.)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 11-03-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Lake Michigan is not a farm.
Debate.
Wow, someone really needs to reform the Chicago Public Schools. I guess that's why they are consistently ranked worst in the nation.

Folks apparently don't understand the English language, and they are very surprised that there are water sources for farmland and industry. Who knew!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Forgive me, it's Wikipedia, but it seems to be the fairly standard take on the issue:

"The "Rust belt" is an area in the northeastern United States whose economy was formerly based largely on heavy industry, manufacturing, and associated industries. This area is roughly defined as comprising the northern sections of Indiana and Ohio; the southern section of Michigan; parts of New York; most of Pennsylvania; and northern parts of West Virginia, especially that state's Northern Panhandle."

What's interesting to me about all of this is I'm sure that Ohio248 is liberal/progressive (as am I, in many respects), but he's borrowing a Tea Party line about Chicago being 'corrupt' in order to help him make his point.. whatever that point is. (I still think he was dumped by a woman in Chicago.) Honestly, a city can be corrupt and still a great place to live. Ever read about Pendergast and Kansas City, Missouri during the Great Depression? It really comes down to whether the 'city boss' *loves* the city or not. And don't get me started on corruption the in DC area...

Seriously, though.. your hatred for Chicago is unhealthy. All you can do is throw out an alphabet soup of random, nonsensical words that you feel somehow pertain to Chicago and most people would consider icky-bad-sounding - "Rust Belt!" "Corruption!" "No ocean!" "Farms!" You're like a parody of yourself. (I actually posted a parody of you [without realizing it at the time!] a few months ago on the Chicago section... I thought I was exaggerating beyond what any actual poster would ever say, but apparently I was wrong.
That map shows Chicago to be in the Rust Belt, so thanks for confirming my point. Chicago is the Capital of the Rust Belt.

And if you think Blagovich, Ryan, Daley, Jackson, Rostenkowski, etc. etc. aren't corrupt, that's your opinion.

One doesn't need to be a Tea Partier to know Chicago's reputation for political corruption. No U.S. city is as infamous for corruption.

Heck a mayoral candidate (Rahm) is currently running despite not living in Chicago. Why? He's politically powerful. That's the Chicago Way! There is no debate that he isn't a Chicago resident, and that one needs to be a Chicago resident to run. In fact, there's some other dude living in his old house!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM

Simple, people... Ohio248 is from Oakland Co. in the Detroit suburbs. You can find Detroit people ranting (to the point of bare-faced, bad-faith disingenuity) about Chicago on forums all over the web. (In fact, I think I found Mr. O on another forum. Yes, I need another hobby to occupy me at work. I'm employed at a Federal cultural agency where I have my own cube but not enough to do.. there are millions of others like me, too.. hence the high real-estate prices in the DC suburbs, not that they're super awesome or whatever Oh was trying to suggest that high real estate prices invariably meant in an earlier post of his. )

It's like, "Wahh, my home city was called 'Rust Belt' when I was growing up, and you Chicago people thought you were better and had fewer people calling you 'Rust Belt.' I hate you. I'm going to move to New York and disassociate myself from the silly Rust Belt altogether (though I will still defend Detroit sometimes)."

But anyway, Ohio, I like you better now that I know you're not from Jersey or someplace. In fact, my feelings are borderline warm and fuzzy. I love Michigan/No. Ohio accents.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 11-03-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City