Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

1st - Massachusetts
2nd - Georgia
3rd - Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Hard to say what is the "best" capital city, especially since there is such diversity in sizes. My favorite state capitals are:

Atlanta
Nashville
Honolulu
Austin
Annapolis
(I've never been to Boston, but I bet I would enjoy visiting)

Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy from MA View Post
Sacramento, CA!
I think living in Atlanta, Denver, Boston and Honolulu would be exponentially more exciting than living in Sac.

Sac could have been a way better city than what it is, had it been correctly planned to be a major metropolis. The decrepit looking confluence of two rivers right next to downtown, railyards/abandoned looking industrial buildings/weeds visible immediately north of downtown, and a light-rail system that goes nowhere don't say much.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,242 times
I agree there is a lot of diversity in the capitol cities. My top 5 would be:

Madison, WI - great vibe, nice lakes
Honolulu, HI - great scenery!
Nashville, TN - great scenery, not a country fan but love the feel of the city!
Richmond, VA - my first time through it was quite a surprise!
Boston, MA - such history and so well preserved

Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,921 times
Juneau Alaska!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM

170 posts, read 325,900 times
Indiana because of Indianapolis. If it weren't for Indianapolis, the state of Indiana wouldnt even exist. Massachusetts (Boston), Georgia (Atlanta) and Texas (Austin) have awsome state capitals as well.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Phoenix, Arizona is the WORST of the large capitals by far. I lived there for 5 yrs (5 years too long). There are homeless and other destitute people everywhere throughout the entire city. Major parts of the city look like a third world country, and west and south Phoenix are REALLY bad. The 'capitol' building used in those pictures is not actually the capital, its a museum. The real capitol building itself is an ugly concrete box looking building 2 miles west of downtown in a very scary area.
Oh.....and the Phoenix area has 4-million people, not 6-million.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 PM

The best state capitals (the city, not the building) in my opinion are (no particular order):

Boston
Atlanta
Austin
Indianapolis
Sacramento
Nashville
Columbus, OH
Madison, WI
Denver, CO
Santa Fe, NM
Raleigh, NC
St. Paul, MN
Salt Lake City, UT
Honalulu, HA

Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Indiana because of Indianapolis. If it weren't for Indianapolis, the state of Indiana wouldnt even exist. Massachusetts (Boston), Georgia (Atlanta) and Texas (Austin) have awsome state capitals as well.
I wouldnt go that far lol but still Indianapolis the Pride of Indiana and the Economic Engine of our state
All the jobs and wealth and power come from Indy Heck theres so many job openings across Indianapolis no wonder Hoosiers are moving there to take them
Also i agree on Pheonix. Its growing booming days are coming to an end now bring in the problem of lack of water and watch the region suffer.
No water=your dead simple necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City