U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 04:52 PM

8,578 posts, read 13,475,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Louisiana also has alot more people than North Dakota (about 4 million more), therefore it is less accurate to assume that just because the state overall ranks bad, that every place in the state is in bad health overall. Most of Louisiana's bad health rep. comes from the Industrial towns (New Orleans and Lake Charles) where bad air and water quality are common. New York could be called the third most crowded state because it ranks third in population, but there are areas upstate where people are very spread out.
I agree , you make good sense, my only reason for painting with a wide brush, was , the ref. to height of cap. bldg.,etc. However, health is a big factor , or should be. I am sure Bismarck is healthier than Baton Rouge. State capitals should be the "model" for the rest of the state , unfortunately
, they are not. Montpelier, Vt. is number one I think, I doubt that the balance of the state is much different., same would go for Bismarck. We pay for what we get, good and bad, the cost of doing business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 PM

28,945 posts, read 15,997,449 times
Default Sacramento vs. Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegirl View Post
I'd throw Sacramento at the bottom of the worst pile. It's basically become a burb of the Bay Area. 20 years ago it wasn't too bad but now it's basically an arm pit with no upgrades in infrastructure, no new highways to accomodate the explosion of houses and just basically ugly.
I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding Sacramento. As I have written many times in these forums, I lived up there in 1990-91, and the area was starting to feel the impact of so many people moving there from the Bay Area and Southern California. There are some older areas of town near the State Capitol that I find charming with lots of big, shady trees (they come in handy during the long, hot summers), but the newer areas look very bland, with lots of cookie-cutter tract homes. To me, nice place to visit, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there again.

Now, I've been to Austin, TX several years ago to visit some friends who used to live here in SoCal. There's no contest between Austin and Sacramento, as far as I'm concerned. Austin wins hands down! Apparently, lots of others agree.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding Sacramento. As I have written many times in these forums, I lived up there in 1990-91, and the area was starting to feel the impact of so many people moving there from the Bay Area and Southern California. There are some older areas of town near the State Capitol that I find charming with lots of big, shady trees (they come in handy during the long, hot summers), but the newer areas look very bland, with lots of cookie-cutter tract homes. To me, nice place to visit, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there again.

Now, I've been to Austin, TX several years ago to visit some friends who used to live here in SoCal. There's no contest between Austin and Sacramento, as far as I'm concerned. Austin wins hands down! Apparently, lots of others agree.
Austin, yes, the last bastion of liberalism left in Texas !.?.....Stopped of at the mall once on the way to San Antone , thats about it.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 AM

42 posts, read 53,795 times
For me, it is a tie between Austin and Madison. Austin has more culture overall than Madison (SXSW), and a much better live music scene. In my opinion, both are equally liberal. However, Madison beats Austin in natural beauty.

I would nominate Salem, Ore. as one of the absolute worst capitols in the nation. It seems that Portland and Salem couldn't be more opposite cities. I wish Portland was the capitol, rather than the sprawling suburb of Salem.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarden View Post
For me, it is a tie between Austin and Madison. Austin has more culture overall than Madison (SXSW), and a much better live music scene. In my opinion, both are equally liberal. However, Madison beats Austin in natural beauty.

I would nominate Salem, Ore. as one of the absolute worst capitols in the nation. It seems that Portland and Salem couldn't be more opposite cities. I wish Portland was the capitol, rather than the sprawling suburb of Salem.
Something about Madison that I don't care for, can't get a handle on it, but its there. maybe its living in sub. Chicago for so many years........taxes in Wi. are one thing thats not so good..other than, too much cheese, maybe...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 AM

508 posts, read 1,277,672 times
Without a doubt - Madison is a very cool/hip captial city, especially when it's fall/spring/summer. I liked Austin but I chose Madison over it b/c I think Austin is getting a little too crowded.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,622,822 times
Jefferson City makes all the ones mentioned look pathetic. Wish it was that way instead of the other way around . Jefferson City is not something St. Louisans and Kansas City people like to mention. It's one of the only capitals in the U.S. without an interstate running through it. I've only ever been there once and I hated it. As a Missourian I'm humiliated to have Jefferson City as my capital. Nothing special about it other than it's the geographic center of the country and it's on the Missouri River. It's certainly the most pathetic capital in the Midwest IMO, Des Moines, Madison, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Topeka, Springfield, Indy, Columbus, and Lansing make Jefferson City look like a small town which it essentially is...

Old 06-04-2007, 08:02 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,051,327 times
been to many capital cities and my favorites are (not in order)

Helena, MT - It felt so open and friendly there. There were people playing everywhere - even on the state capitol grounds. It was also very green and had a nice downtown with a nice setting

Annapolis, MD - such a nice, charming city with a very historical backround. The state house surved as the US capitol for a year and G washington wanted it to be capitol forever, but couldn't so told an architect to model the US capitol after it. not sure how you get the US capitol out of the MD state house, but hey!and the navel academy is beautiful. And it has a great waterfront. The town is especially nice on a sunny day

Atlanta - Amazing city with great architecture and a beautiful capitol building. I love whats around the city too. impressive stone mt (is that the right name?) with an impressive view. and the coke factory is located there. what more could you want?

Baton Rouge - nice setting on the Mississippi river and an impressive capitol building. the tallest of any capitol building in the US. There were also some nice acttractions there and there was a real southern feel and lots of hospitality. Very nice people. The observation deck in the capitol had amazing views to offer

Denver - Amazing nature setting to the west and very nice skyline. The capitol buidling along with the city county building look very nice. The city seemed very nice and I liked walking around that city. The surroundings with the rockys are very impressive

Those are the ones I wanted to mention. Those are just the ones from the top of my head that I thought of. All of the capitols are nice though (almost )

Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,758,951 times
I would say a tie between Austin TX, Madison Wi. Columbus Oh. I know I am being indecisive, but I think having a huge world class university is such a great asset, and all 3 of these capitals have this.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 PM

1,511 posts, read 7,094,321 times
1st place> Richmond, Virginia
2nd place> Denver, Colorado
3rd place> Austin, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or