U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What City is More like the South: Dallas or Richmond?
Dallas, TX 40 54.05%
Richmond, VA 34 45.95%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM

36,373 posts, read 57,150,762 times

Advertisements

Richmond: 37 31′ 58.8″ N

Dallas: 32 46′ 58″ N

Dallas is more Southern.

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:59 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,262,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Dallas is more Southern.

Its more West of Richmond than South. Also geography doesnt always indicate culture.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,047,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Dallas is more Southern.

Lol I get what your saying but if we continue down that road then Miami is the most Southern city of all!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Its more West of Richmond than South. Also geography doesnt always indicate culture.
It was a joke, kid. Pull the corn cob outta yer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Lol I get what your saying but if we continue down that road then Miami is the most Southern city of all!
Actually I think it would be Key West. Or would it be Brownsville?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,262,911 times
It was my mistake to ever let these big headed Texans push me around, lol.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,085,193 times
Quote:
We should probably let this arguement go and not run Texas against Virginia anymore
Or Va's/Richmond's southerness...

Sure Richmonder27/blueva/vasinger, I'll believe it when I'll see it.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Status: "Semi-retired. On and off line interchangeably" (set 5 days ago)

9,820 posts, read 11,174,193 times
Quote:
TexasReb, lets not start another War, lol. I was just kidding.

No war to start. But fact is, you picked the fight much earlier on. And originally, be honest, you were not kidding at all. So I took up the flung down gauntlet...

Quote:
I am a little irked that Dallas is winning, and naturally so. Richmond is so dear to me...
But again, it was you who started the poll. You gotta keep that one in mind, friend.

Quote:
In fact, you seem to be as anxious to prove Texas' Southern heritage, are you not?
Of course I am! But I think I can honestly say I never do so in a way which is predicated on disputing the credentials of another Southern state.

And as it is, really, I don't really need to "prove" Texas to be a Southern state. Reason being, it simply IS. Only thing I do sometime (well, often, I suppose LOL) is re-affirm it!

Quote:
We should probably let this arguement go and not run Texas against Virginia anymore
I agree. Not a problem.

Quote:
Also- what would Sam Houston say? He and his merry band of Virginians founded Texas!
Actually, the three main role players in the settlement of Texas after 1836 were Tennessee, Alabama and Missisippi. Georgia was next, I think...

But yep, Virginians were up there as well.

I would like to visit Richmond and Virginia in the near future. I know it is a beautiful state of both Colonial and Southern history and culture.

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-14-2009 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,402,925 times
Vas, I thought that you really don't care about this North/South stuff anymore. That's a quick change of mind. Most Southerners don't pronounce river as rivah or the riveeerrr as you put it but we instead pronounce it like rihver (no I didn't poll the entire South on this). Rivah still sound NYish and New Englandish to me. You said that you are from the D.C. area why are you so caught up in this deep South thing? Northern VA isn' deep South, so why try and be deep South? That's all.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Vas, I thought that you really don't care about this North/South stuff anymore. That's a quick change of mind. Most Southerners don't pronounce river as rivah or the riveeerrr as you put it but we instead pronounce it like rihver (no I didn't poll the entire South on this). Rivah still sound NYish and New Englandish to me. You said that you are from the D.C. area why are you so caught up in this deep South thing? Northern VA isn' deep South, so why try and be deep South? That's all.
Ah, the good old rhotic versus non-rhotic accent debate. There are parts of the south that do indeed have a non-rhotic accent (meaning, trailing R's are basically not pronounced), such as limited areas of the coastal Carolinas and in much of Alabama, Mississippi and the southeast corner of Louisiana. Other notable non-rhotic regions in the U.S. include New England ("cah" instead of "car") and NYC/northern New Jersey ("pawk" instead of "park"). That's why "rivah" may sound NY/NE to you, but it's also accurate for the non-rhotic parts of the South -- both regions' accents originate from largely non-rhotic England after all.

Other non-rhotic regions Australia and of course much of England. Notable rhotic regions include the rest of North America, Ireland and Scotland. In fact it is the waves first of Scots-Irish and then "regular" Irish that transformed North America from a primarily non-rhotic region to a primarily rhotic region. This is why the hills areas of the South are notably more rhotic than the flat areas -- the former was more thoroughly settled by the Scots-Irish.

Sorry for the History Channel thread hijack.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 AM

8,968 posts, read 8,553,634 times
Great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City