U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,875,070 times

Advertisements

I just love what Austin does. Can't explain it.

You know I don't know if the two have that much in common. If someone could enlighten me on the similarities, because I never really got the comparison other than both have universities and are capitals. You could say the same for Columbus, Ohio. I just think the cities are pretty different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,721,011 times
Austin is one of the best cities in America. Truly a diamond. Any place that had Captain Quackenbush's Intergalactic can't be all bad. (now Quack's)

Old 11-13-2009, 12:23 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,857,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
I beg to differ.

The one and only...Tift Merritt.

Damn this woman is fine.

YouTube - Tift Merritt - Good Hearted Man
I didn't say that no artists come from Raleigh. But the city in general isn't known for having an artsy vibe.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,721,011 times
I like the vibe I get when I see her in that blouse. I get a tingle running up my leg.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,583,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Austin is one of the best cities in America. Truly a diamond. Any place that had Captain Quackenbush's Intergalactic can't be all bad. (now Quack's)
Yes!!! Go Quack's! There's all kinds of cool places like that in Austin. There is really no need to ever go to Starbucks or Olive Garden in that town. I'm not sure why do in that town.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,815,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I didn't say that no artists come from Raleigh. But the city in general isn't known for having an artsy vibe.
Aren't we talking about the whole Raleigh area? I usually assume that is the case unless it's stated otherwise.

Chapel Hill is very well known for it's music scene and "artsy vibe".

Old 11-13-2009, 05:34 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,903,967 times
I think it's a gross over-misconception to say that Raleigh/Triangle area doesn't have an art vibe/scene. First of all, it's true that one has to consider the entire Triangle when talking about any part of the Triangle because, frankly, people in the Triangle live their lives among the cities. They are all on top of each other and any amenity in one is enjoyed by all. In addition to what 3 major universities afford the area, the Triangle has all the usual suspects in terms of arts to be found in University towns and the state capital. This includes art museums, performing arts centers (both in Raleigh and Durham), NC symphony, the ballet & opera, local theater and festivals that include the American Dance Festival in Durham, Artsplosure in Raleigh, First Friday ArtWalks in DT Raleigh monthly as well as live music venues in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, etc.
Will it be the same as Austin? No. But, why should one city be the same as another? And, if it were, why move in the first place? That all said, the first time I went to Austin in the early 90s, my impression was that it felt like the Triangle in a lot of ways. I guess it's the combination of having a technology town that is both the state capital and home to a major university that made me make the immediate comparison of familiarity in my mind.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think it's a gross over-misconception to say that Raleigh/Triangle area doesn't have an art vibe/scene. First of all, it's true that one has to consider the entire Triangle when talking about any part of the Triangle because, frankly, people in the Triangle live their lives among the cities. They are all on top of each other and any amenity in one is enjoyed by all. In addition to what 3 major universities afford the area, the Triangle has all the usual suspects in terms of arts to be found in University towns and the state capital. This includes art museums, performing arts centers (both in Raleigh and Durham), NC symphony, the ballet & opera, local theater and festivals that include the American Dance Festival in Durham, Artsplosure in Raleigh, First Friday ArtWalks in DT Raleigh monthly as well as live music venues in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, etc.
Will it be the same as Austin? No. But, why should one city be the same as another? And, if it were, why move in the first place? That all said, the first time I went to Austin in the early 90s, my impression was that it felt like the Triangle in a lot of ways. I guess it's the combination of having a technology town that is both the state capital and home to a major university that made me make the immediate comparison of familiarity in my mind.
Good post...Raleigh does have a nice collection of museums that one might expect to find in a state capital. Chapel Hill's live music scene probably doesn't compare to Austin's (never been to Austin, but I've heard all about it), but it compares better to the scene in Athens.

I would expect any city with a major university to have an "artsy vibe" due to the university's presence...and Raleigh has 3 of them.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,857,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Aren't we talking about the whole Raleigh area? I usually assume that is the case unless it's stated otherwise.
The OP didn't make that clear. I was talking about the city itself.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The OP didn't make that clear. I was talking about the city itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume when you mentioned biotech in Raleigh that you were referring to RTP - wouldn't that be including the entire Triangle? I also assume when you mentioned IT in Austin that you were including Roundrock?

Anyway, my point is...Raleigh has a thriving live music scene in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area, though not as famous or as large as Austin's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City