U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 AM

317 posts, read 114,916 times

Advertisements

In no particular order, more than just "12".

Denver
Miami
Washington DC
Houston
Chicago
Dallas
Los Angeles
Tucson
San Francisco
San Diego
Austin
Phoenix
Portland
Sacramento
Seattle
San Jose

2 Canadian cities I like are Toronto and Vancouver.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 AM

196 posts, read 359,411 times
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Toronto
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Washington, DC
San Francisco
New Haven
Ann Arbor
Oakland

that's all I can do without going into cities I've never been to but might be interested in (Vancouver, Nashville, Mexico City), or cities I don't remember much about (Montreal, Cleveland, New Orleans), or cities I simply don't like much (Boston, Seattle).

Also, is it just because this is an English speaking forum that Mexican cities aren't getting mentioned?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM

882 posts, read 1,484,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Who ever put Philly above Boston or San francisco obviously hasnt been out of Downtown, Northern Liberties, and University City
This is the best cities not niegborhoods.
Obviously you haven't either to make such a rediculous claim. Philly is a huge city. Theres a little of everything. Beautiful areas, not so beautiful areas, ok areas....and once again there goes someone from Boston/SF trying to prove their city is soo much better than everyone elses.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,283,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
New York City
Chicago
Portland, OR
Cleveland
Ann Arbor
Reading, PA
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Toronto
Traverse City
Boston
Interesting that I did this poll roughly two years ago and to reflect back on it. I don't think I'd change it other than switch Chicago and New York City (Chicago being in the top spot). I'd add Vancouver. I'd probably move Cleveland and Reading down and add Detroit to the bottom of the list.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,048,591 times
Most people are listing big cities, but I'm going to list big cities plus small/medium cities. I find it difficult to compare the two different types, so I'm going to do two lists:

Big Cities:
1. New Orleans: One of the most distinctive cities in the world. Love the food, music, architecture and general vibe of the city.
2. New York City: America's biggest city, huge variety of things to see and do.
3. Washington, DC: Love the National Mall with all the museums and monuments, but the city itself is also a lot of fun with neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, U Street, Georgetown, etc.
4. Atlanta, GA: Great skyline, fun touristy stuff downtown and the increasingly vibrant Midtown. And the Braves!
5. Honolulu (not sure this counts as North American, but what the heck): neat city in the middle of paradise.
6. Nashville, TN: Music City feels very vibrant downtown with all the honky-tonks and music venues. The city also has some nice parks.
7. San Juan, PR: the city itself was only okay for me, but a beautiful setting.

Small and Medium sized Cities
1. Auburn, AL: Great little southern college town. It has really grown a lot in the past twenty years. War Eagle!
2. Charleston, SC: great food and an architecturally lovely walkable downtown.
3. Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI: Fun (if toursity) city in a warm beach atmosphere.
4. Key West, FL: funky beach community that has been pretty shamelessly commercialized but is still pretty fun.
5. San Pedro, Belize: when I went there over a decade ago it was a fairly sleepy little town with unpaved roads right off the world's second largest barrier reef. Hopefully it has kept its charm.
6. Savannah, GA: Beautiful squares in this old-school southern town.

Those area all places I have actually been. I have my first trip to Chicago lined up for later this year and also hope to visit Seattle and Boston in the future. Maybe when I do some of those places will get spots on my list. And yeah, I know it is thirteen, but I didn't want to leave any of those cities off my list...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM

5,452 posts, read 3,992,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Obviously you haven't either to make such a rediculous claim. Philly is a huge city. Theres a little of everything. Beautiful areas, not so beautiful areas, ok areas....and once again there goes someone from Boston/SF trying to prove their city is soo much better than everyone elses.
i live in Brooklyn so shut up.
Philly is crap outside the Downtown area and a select few other areas.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 AM

762 posts, read 552,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
i live in Brooklyn so shut up.
Philly is crap outside the Downtown area and a select few other areas.
You seem upset. Maybe it's time to go outside and get some fresh air, and not be so pressed over someone's preference.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM

5,452 posts, read 3,992,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
You seem upset. Maybe it's time to go outside and get some fresh air, and not be so pressed over someone's preference.
it just that (s)hes annoying, he responds badly to all my posts on all the tread i post them on.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM

19,350 posts, read 16,672,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Interesting that I did this poll roughly two years ago and to reflect back on it. I don't think I'd change it other than switch Chicago and New York City (Chicago being in the top spot). I'd add Vancouver. I'd probably move Cleveland and Reading down and add Detroit to the bottom of the list.

Reading is interesting on the list - maybe you like pagodas

Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,283,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Reading is interesting on the list - maybe you like pagodas
Lived there. Fond memories. nothing more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City