Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the "most stressed" region of the U.S.?
Northeast Corridor (DC, MD, NoVa, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, etc.) 135 78.95%
Southeast (FL, NC, LA, SC, GA, etc.) 10 5.85%
Midwest (IL, WI, OH, etc.) 14 8.19%
Southwest (TX, OK, AZ, NM, etc.) 0 0%
West (CA, WA, OR, ID, CO, etc) 12 7.02%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 PM

200 posts, read 608,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The Northeast, with a specific mention of Connecticut. Connecticut has the highest per capita income in the USA and yet, it also has some of the poorest and most crime-ridden cities in the USA(Hartford being among them). Big property taxes making it one of the most expensive states to live in. Alot of traffic traveling from NYC and or Boston.
So true. People from CT hate the cities of Bridgeport and Hartford, and the cities hate the rich towns. There is such animouisty toward the poor, and animousity toward the rich. It's very sad. It's either super wealthy or super poor.

But people just seem stressed in CT. Everywhere I go and people are just arriving, they seem to breathe a sigh of relief when they get to their destination. Just an observation as I've lived in many states. Maybe it's the bad/aloof driving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 PM

200 posts, read 608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I don't drink coffee, it will give you teeth that makes you look like a pirate. plus it has a drug in it that causes adverse effects including increased heart rate, irregular heart beat, and dehydration. Water, and lots of it, is the way to go. It's the Natural thing to do.
Maybe you should head over to the health forum!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
So true. People from CT hate the cities of Bridgeport and Hartford, and the cities hate the rich towns. There is such animouisty toward the poor, and animousity toward the rich. It's very sad. It's either super wealthy or super poor.

But people just seem stressed in CT. Everywhere I go and people are just arriving, they seem to breathe a sigh of relief when they get to their destination. Just an observation as I've lived in many states. Maybe it's the bad/aloof driving here.
Um, that's not true. You know nothing about CT obviously. There are some pockets of working class areas in the state, and the people who live in the suburbs do NOT hate the cities. CT has a mixture of a lot of things. Rich, poor, some middle class, some working class, black, white and yellow.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 AM

527 posts, read 1,277,568 times
Quote:
Anyone want to give their opinion on the most stressed, shortest fused region?

I just moved to CT and gosh, people here are so stressed and in a rush. Even if they're going to the mall, they drive/walk/talk like they're 30 minutes late to wherever they're going!
lol that's so true! People here in CT are always so stressed, rushing, etc.

Quote:
Quote:

What? That's not true. I love Bridgeport (was born there). I like the diversity and some of the people fit in with me quite well. Just because I live in CT doesn't mean I'm rich. You'd be surprised. I prefer cities like Bridgeport and New Haven in comparison to Darien, Greenwich and Westport. I wouldn't fit in there.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,970 times
We recently moved to Connecticut (a small town located about half way between NYC and Boston) from Ohio. We've met some nice people here but it seems everyone is so rushed and impatient. I work in retail and have often seen people become unbelievably frustrated if a transaction takes even a few seconds longer than they think it should. This is going to take some adjustment.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,641,659 times
Quote:
I agree! Too many Type As! I like CT and all since it's beautiful but the people are in such a rush. My morning drive today prompted me to do this poll. People are about 1' from each other's bumper in heavy traffic. Where do they think they're going to go?!

I think it's life in general here. College, get a job, make lots of money is the goal in those areas and if you don't succeed, you move to Florida. No offense to Florida, it just seems like it's the way it goes.
Though most people i know who moved to FL, moved here because of a job promotion or a better job than what they had in there home state. Because of success not because of failure.

Anyways i voted the northeast. They always seem like they are in a rush and are stressed. I also see a lot of that in the big metros in Fl, i guess since there is such a huge population of ex northerners here. Probably more than in any other non northern state.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,002,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The Northeast, with a specific mention of Connecticut. Connecticut has the highest per capita income in the USA and yet, it also has some of the poorest and most crime-ridden cities in the USA(Hartford being among them). Big property taxes making it one of the most expensive states to live in. Alot of traffic traveling from NYC and or Boston.
Yup, there is a lot of haves and have nots. Usually this leads to unhappiness, (ct was recently ranked one of the least happy states) Louisianna was the most happy.

People live to work here in CT, and yes we are always in a hurry. But people also are less flashy and more conservative. Overall I think CT is unhappy but less stressed then NY NJ area. That is definately the most stressed out place.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 PM

725 posts, read 1,503,227 times
WOW! I've never seen a poll this lop-sided.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 11,800,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Northeast and California are very stressed out. People never just chill out and enjoy life in those regions. Work work work work same old thing day in and day out
Thank God I don't live in the NE. Who cares about density when everyone is stressed? Maybe the density IS what stresses everyone out there. That tends to happen when you pack too many people close together. I also don't like the weather there. They may have good public transit in their cities, but they need it since I wouldn't want to drive around there.

People image that in California everyone is laid back and enjoying life because of the weather and beaches, but that wasn't necessarily the case. I've come across plenty of uptight people there, especially in the LA/OC/Riverside area.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM

61 posts, read 34,873 times
Northeast definitely. Never met so much rude and stressed people in my life.

And perhaps some parts of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City