U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What Southern City has the most "Northern" Influence
Atlanta 131 47.81%
Charlotte 94 34.31%
Nashville 10 3.65%
New Orleans 31 11.31%
Birmingham 0 0%
Jacksonville 8 2.92%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
 
259 posts, read 311,335 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD004 View Post
That seems like something that just started in Chicago.. and nobody else did it before people saw Kanye.. seeing how Kanye is from Chicago.

But honestly, I can remember people doing that **** here in Houston before anybody ever heard of Kanye West come on the radio.
My point was that Kanye dressed like where he from....Chicago, Im not saying what city is better so don't mistake me for saying that..I was just responding to someone who commented that Houstan, Chicago dressed alike (something said to that effect) and thats false

And from my observations (in college now Im pretty much surrounded by southerners many from houstan, dallas, memphis, atl, etc.....) I'll have to say that Atl people are much more fashionable than many of the people from Houstan and some of the other places mentioned down south. I visited Atl last year and they pretty much dress like they do up north

What you also have to understand about Atl is that they have 3 major/famous HBCU's right in the middle of their city...and those schools have given the city a certain feel look swag....as far as the south is concerned outside of New Orleans..Atl is another mecca down there for culture especially black culture and that would include fashion...Houstan just really isn't competing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
47 posts, read 58,791 times
Reputation: 41
[quote=atlantaATL;7588416]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD004 View Post


Im not quiet regardless of what i say your going to disagree and the too females liked my swagg and style but like i told spade im not about to try and prove anything to you and even if i told you what i had on all your going to say is We been doing that in Houston but i bet i can name a couple of shoes that are back in style that NO one is wearing over there
Liked your swagg and style? I thought they liked your fashion? Why can you not get your story straight? Why can't you answer the simple question? What were you wearing that was so fashionable?

Why are you trying to change the subject to name some shoes that have nothing at all to do with anything we are talking about?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Oahu
730 posts, read 1,250,328 times
Reputation: 277
Lamest argument ever.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,831 posts, read 19,964,074 times
Reputation: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
My point was that Kanye dressed like where he from....Chicago, Im not saying what city is better so don't mistake me for saying that..I was just responding to someone who commented that Houstan, Chicago dressed alike (something said to that effect) and thats false

And from my observations (in college now Im pretty much surrounded by southerners many from houstan, dallas, memphis, atl, etc.....) I'll have to say that Atl people are much more fashionable than many of the people from Houstan and some of the other places mentioned down south. I visited Atl last year and they pretty much dress like they do up north

What you also have to understand about Atl is that they have 3 major/famous HBCU's right in the middle of their city...and those schools have given the city a certain feel look swag....as far as the south is concerned outside of New Orleans..Atl is another mecca down there for culture especially black culture and that would include fashion...Houstan just really isn't competing.
Dallas would be considered more fashionble than ATL actually. Houston has TSU right in the city, and PV about 40 minutes away. Black culture dosen't equal fashionable. The whole dressing like peopel up north thing is confusing to me because I could've swore most major cities have the same type of fashion. Your crazy if you think Houston dosen't compete with ATL in being fashionable, hell we might be more fashionable at that. ATL is a black mecca because the city markets itself as a city for successful african american people. ATL is really just catching up in the fashion department compared to Texas cities. Houston and Dallas have always been ahead of ATL when it came to upscale stores and boutiques.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,745 posts, read 3,442,907 times
Reputation: 660
If I were to think of one Southern city with the most northern influences which is not in this list, it would have to be Louisville, Kentucky. While south of the Ohio River and a mecca of Southern culture, it definitely could qualify as being part of the Rust Belt and it was a manufacturing city. It's also pretty much part of the Midwest agricultural region, and its climate is more humid continental than humid subtropical...unlike most of the South, Louisville and most of Kentucky for that matter experience four distinct seasons. Winters are cold with a historical average of 16 inches of snow. Its culture, feel, architecture, and history, however, all show it to be decidedly Southern, not to mention the Louisville accent is unmistakably Southern.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 887,811 times
Reputation: 191
[quote=BMD004;7591272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post

Liked your swagg and style? I thought they liked your fashion? Why can you not get your story straight? Why can't you answer the simple question? What were you wearing that was so fashionable?

Why are you trying to change the subject to name some shoes that have nothing at all to do with anything we are talking about?

Style goes with fashion in order to be fashionable you have to have some kinda style you have to be very creative you have to know color schemes etc. Im not trying to change no subject I told you i was dropping the subject because im not here to prove anything to you. All i did whats take the Prom suit look and made it urban thats all I took the Ruffle prom shirt with a bow tie This short tailered jacket from H&M the short leather gloves with a top Hat a pairt of acid wash skinnys and a high top sneaker I pulled the jacket sleeves up so that the leather gloves. The
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 887,811 times
Reputation: 191
[quote=BMD004;7591272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post

Liked your swagg and style? I thought they liked your fashion? Why can you not get your story straight? Why can't you answer the simple question? What were you wearing that was so fashionable?

Why are you trying to change the subject to name some shoes that have nothing at all to do with anything we are talking about?

Style goes with fashion in order to be fashionable you have to have some kinda style you have to be very creative you have to know color schemes etc. Im not trying to change no subject I told you i was dropping the subject because im not here to prove anything to you. All i did whats take the Prom suit look and made it urban thats all I took the Ruffle prom shirt with a bow tie This short tailered jacket from H&M the short leather gloves with a top Hat a pairt of acid wash skinnys and a high top sneaker I pulled the jacket sleeves up so that the leather gloves. The shirt was made by Dsqaured the bow tie was dsquared and the gloves were from cole haan
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 2,283,549 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
If I were to think of one Southern city with the most northern influences which is not in this list, it would have to be Louisville, Kentucky. While south of the Ohio River and a mecca of Southern culture, it definitely could qualify as being part of the Rust Belt and it was a manufacturing city. It's also pretty much part of the Midwest agricultural region, and its climate is more humid continental than humid subtropical...unlike most of the South, Louisville and most of Kentucky for that matter experience four distinct seasons. Winters are cold with a historical average of 16 inches of snow. Its culture, feel, architecture, and history, however, all show it to be decidedly Southern, not to mention the Louisville accent is unmistakably Southern.
Yes, I know a lady from Louisville and shes very much a Southern belle.

Also, Louisville is north of Richmond.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,467 posts, read 14,953,828 times
Reputation: 5070
Truthfully, you believe what you want to believe. I know what we see every day in HoustOn and I have lived in Chicago, Miami, and DC and HoustOn is no different than any other city in the nation when it comes to fashion and I'll leave it at that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 887,811 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Truthfully, you believe what you want to believe. I know what we see every day in HoustOn and I have lived in Chicago, Miami, and DC and HoustOn is no different than any other city in the nation when it comes to fashion and I'll leave it at that.

Just stand by your point but let the true fashionista be the judge the ones who set the trends and who know what they are talking about
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top