U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What Southern City has the most "Northern" Influence
Atlanta 130 47.79%
Charlotte 94 34.56%
Nashville 10 3.68%
New Orleans 30 11.03%
Birmingham 0 0%
Jacksonville 8 2.94%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM

13,081 posts, read 13,572,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
skinnys are dying and chucks who wear those
Been in DC in a while? That is evident up here. I seen somebody with a flat top last week. They are making a comeback. Oh and my post was just saying that buckles had nothing to do with fashion. People who wear it in Texas are not trying to be fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,409,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Thats a lie That trend was brought back by NYC and was done heavily there first Houston has never started are created a trend IF so they would be none nation wide as a a global fashionable city. I never said scarfs converse and skinnys are new maybe new to texas but its been around for a long time its slowly dying out I wish i could take you ona nice trip with me to a fashion week in Nyc and you will see the difference
Whoa, trust me. NY is only a big influence to you guys probably, but down here in Texas we wear what we want. People have been dressing like 80s since the 80s. I never stated Houston started a trend, but get over yourself thinking you guys are way ahead of us.

I would rather kill myself than go to a fashion show and if I wanted to I can always just drive to Dallas, Which is considered the most fashionable city after Miami. People in Louisana,New Mexico,Mexico,and Texas travel to the Galleria to shop in Houston/Dallas.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM

1,304 posts, read 771,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Whoa, trust me. NY is only a big influence to you guys probably, but down here in Texas we wear what we want. People have been dressing like 80s since the 80s. I never stated Houston started a trend, but get over yourself thinking you guys are way ahead of us.

I would rather kill myself than go to a fashion show and if I wanted to I can always just drive to Dallas, Which is considered the most fashionable city after Miami. People in Louisana,New Mexico,Mexico,and Texas travel to the Galleria to shop in Houston/Dallas.
Boutiques dont make you a fashionable city if you knew anything you would know that. There are reason why LA NYC and miami or top fashion places. The 80s look died out in the 90s and was revived back in 2006 DAllas is reconized for its boutiques not its fashion. And people from NC SC TENN Alabama and many other places come to Atlanta to shop PLus The millions of people that come to visit atlanta throughout the year.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,944,656 times
Did it ever occur to some of you people that it's possible for a trend to be nationally accepted? Our country, overall, even while regions may differ, is overall more identifiable as a whole nations than in different regions. I am getting tired of this website, I think the threads become more ignorant and ridiculous by the day.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 PM

1,304 posts, read 771,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Did it ever occur to some of you people that it's possible for a trend to be nationally accepted? Our country, overall, even while regions may differ, is overall more identifiable as a whole nations than in different regions. I am getting tired of this website, I think the threads become more ignorant and ridiculous by the day.
All I said was Atlanta has northern influence because the way we dress and then you have people that wanna get smart and say stupid stuff and being ignorant

Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM

3,759 posts, read 7,670,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Truthfully they sell those "bling" buckles here in Louisville at the mall too. They wear those things everywhere.
I rarely see it.....I know you love Ky and love the south, Missy, but playing up Louisville's southerness is not fooling anyone. Compared to the NE or Chicago, sure, it's very southern. But compared to the true south, Louisville is as much or more Midwestern.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,098,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I rarely see it.....I know you love Ky and love the south, Missy, but playing up Louisville's southerness is not fooling anyone. Compared to the NE or Chicago, sure, it's very southern. But compared to the true south, Louisville is as much or more Midwestern.
I never said I have seen people wear them. I said they SELL them. Go to Jefferson mall, in the middle you will see more than one kiosk selling them. I am not playing up anything, quit being so dang arrogant. Besides, you say Louisville is either Southern or Midwestern depending on your mood. Make up your dang mind.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,098,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Oh and while I'm thinking about it, my cousin has two large belt buckles, one with the "mudflap girl" and one with the Confederate flag. My Great Uncle wore cowboy boots, large buckle,diamond ring and a cowboy hat til the day he died. At the Wal-mart in Valley there was a couple, the man had on a cowboy hat and boots, one of the people who works for the water company who comes out top the zoo wears.... cowboy hats and boots. Just because you don't see it in your "artsy-fartsy" part of town doesn't mean it isn't there.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,783,599 times
Published in Louisville: Bejeezus

Bejeezus began in 1999 as an irregularly published cut & paste fanzine. Nine years later, it is now a full color arts & culture magazine dedicated to reclaiming southern culture.

Each issue highlights art and culture found in the southern United States and strives to challenge stereotypes of the South, by focusing on its often-underappreciated art, music, film, crafts, food, and literature.

Louisville: Southern with a twist (which pretty much describes Kentucky, too)

And yes, Magnolias do grow in Louisiville. My folks have a huge one in the backyard.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM

830 posts, read 1,686,759 times
When I lived in the Atlanta suburbs, they felt very southern to me (being from the north I felt out of place quite often).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City