Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Southern City has the most "Northern" Influence
Atlanta 135 47.20%
Charlotte 99 34.62%
Nashville 10 3.50%
New Orleans 33 11.54%
Birmingham 0 0%
Jacksonville 9 3.15%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
ouch, I think you mean more fashionable. I don't think earing skinny jeans, a random scarf, and shades on a rainy day is exactly dressing better. Trust me, Houston and Dallas are just as fashionable as cities like ATL,NO,MIA,etc
Not from what i seen when i was in Houston and Dallas My homeboy from NYC that lives in TX always talks about how far behind they are with trends. But anyway IF this was a worlwide poll I think Atlanta would win hands down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:25 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
You still don't have me convinced. To sum things up, Richmond is the gateway to the South as it has many characteristics of Northern cities like Hartford (state capitol, riverside, highways), and even Pittsburgh and Cleveland for it's compact gritty industrial area.

Richmond is not the true South. It was made the Confederate Capital due to its close proximity to the North as people on this pointed out with historical documentation.

Other claims about Paula Dean have been refuted. Links have been provided that show kudzu grows all the way into Connecticut and Paterson, New Jersey.

But most importantly, your deliberate misspelling of words like "river" as "rivuh" tarnishes your capacity to debate in an intellectual manner. In other words, the more you write in make-believe-land, the less people will believe the points you are making.

Richmond is the gateway to the South and not the true South. And even that title will change in time. As the years march on, as the population of this country grows, diversifies and the Bos-Wash megalopolis creeps down I-95 to engulf Richmond, even Richmond will be fully a part of the North. The new gateway city to the South will become Raleigh or Charlotte.

You do realize you are waging a lost cause I hope.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
You still don't have me convinced. To sum things up, Richmond is the gateway to the South as it has many characteristics of Northern cities like Hartford (state capitol, riverside, highways), and even Pittsburgh and Cleveland for it's compact gritty industrial area.

Kudzu is defininitve of South. It may grow in the Mid-Atlantic i.e. NJ. But its very rare up there.

Its more common in Virginia on down.

BTW- Virginia also has Spanish Moss. Can you find that on the NJ turnpike as well??

Richmond is not the true South. It was made the Confederate Capital due to its close proximity to the North as people on this pointed out with historical documentation.

Other claims about Paula Dean have been refuted. Links have been provided that show kudzu grows all the way into Connecticut and Paterson, New Jersey.

But most importantly, your deliberate misspelling of words like "river" as "rivuh" tarnishes your capacity to debate in an intellectual manner. In other words, the more you write in make-believe-land, the less people will believe the points you are making.

Richmond is the gateway to the South and not the true South. And even that title will change in time. As the years march on, as the population of this country grows, diversifies and the Bos-Wash megalopolis creeps down I-95 to engulf Richmond, even Richmond will be fully a part of the North. The new gateway city to the South will become Raleigh or Charlotte.

You do realize you are waging a lost cause I hope.
Im sorry, but that is just ridiculous. You are acting as if Richmond was once barely Southerm, now hardly at all.

It is quite that Richmond was a very very Southern, city, now that is in the midst of a more Southern-Lite experience.

It has very few characteristics of Northern cities. It has much more in common with the Deep South than it does NJ.

Richmond is the TRUE SOUTH. NOVA is the Gateway to the South

In my map book it says "For anyone in search of the Romantic South- Northern Virginia is truly the Gateway".

Good enough for me.

And if all you say is correct- you must mean that NC is just barely the South. With obviously Richmond being so close in reach. And I'm sure a lot of North Carolinians would charge you on that!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Not from what i seen when i was in Houston and Dallas My homeboy from NYC that lives in TX always talks about how far behind they are with trends. But anyway IF this was a worlwide poll I think Atlanta would win hands down
Trust me it wouldn't. It's been polls done on here asking which cities would northerns choose to move to and I believe Charlotte and Houston were the top picks. I'm not sure where you were in DAL and HOU, but I'm sure if I went to ATL I'd see some not so fashionable people as well. The whole Texas cities being backwards and stuck in times gets really old and tired, it seems people just copy off other people's opinions and use them as their own. I mean Neiman Marcus is located in Dallas!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Im sorry, but that is just ridiculous. You are acting as if Richmond was once barely Souther, now hardly at all.

It is quite that Richmond was a very very Southern, city, now that is in the midst of a more Southern-Lite experience.

It has very few characteristics of Northern cities. It has much more in common with the Deep South than it does NJ.

In my map book it says "For anyone in search of the Romantic South- Northern Virginia is truly the Gateway".

Good enough for me.

And if all you say is correct- you must mean that NC is just barely the South. And I'm sure a lot of North Carolinians would charge you on that!
What if I'm coming from the west??

Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Im sorry, but that is just ridiculous. You are acting as if Richmond was once barely Southerm, now hardly at all.

Good enough for me.

And if all you say is correct- you must mean that NC is just barely the South. With obviously Richmond being so close in reach. And I'm sure a lot of North Carolinians would charge you on that!
Wait I thought we have a poll showing Richmond as the gateway. I'm very confused. Your city was WINNING the poll too!!! What happened?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
What if I'm coming from the west??
Knoxville or Nashville?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Trust me it wouldn't. It's been polls done on here asking which cities would northerns choose to move to and I believe Charlotte and Houston were the top picks. I'm not sure where you were in DAL and HOU, but I'm sure if I went to ATL I'd see some not so fashionable people as well. The whole Texas cities being backwards and stuck in times gets really old and tired, it seems people just copy off other people's opinions and use them as their own. I mean Neiman Marcus is located in Dallas!

Having boutiques dont make you fashionable its How well you put the clothes together. ANd i went to the galleria. Its just what we believe But I bet there are more notherners in Atlanta than there are in Houston and charlotte when i live in NYC and told people that i was from Atlanta they always say they wanna either visit or move to Atlanta But thats just from my experience.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Knoxville or Nashville?
But Knoxville is too close to Virginia. According to you Virginia is the North. So I guess TN, NC, are just barely Southern since they are so close to Virginia- a completely Northern state with a very Northern like Capital of Richmond, which of course, was the Capital of the Southern states during the War.

But because its not near the border of Mexico, its not really the South.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Having boutiques dont make you fashionable its How well you put the clothes together. ANd i went to the galleria. Its just what we believe But I bet there are more notherners in Atlanta than there are in Houston and charlotte when i live in NYC and told people that i was from Atlanta they always say they wanna either visit or move to Atlanta But thats just from my experience.
Of course more northeners are in ATL, but we have a large influx of people from the west (Beverly Hills/Hollywood) does that make us fashionable too??

The Galleria is nice, but too big and fancy for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City