U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which Southern State Has the Strongest Southern Accent?
Alabama 57 20.14%
Mississippi 76 26.86%
Louisiana 23 8.13%
Georgia 27 9.54%
Florida 5 1.77%
Tennessee 22 7.77%
Texas 16 5.65%
North Carolina 11 3.89%
South Carolina 14 4.95%
Arkansas 13 4.59%
Kentucky 9 3.18%
Virginia 10 3.53%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM

4,236 posts, read 5,448,801 times
It's funny to me how so many are picking states because they have the least amount of transplants. Having transplants doesn't weaken the accent, it just adds a twist to the areas that do have transplants not the entire state. Even in cities with transplants the areas heavily affected are really the ones where the transplants live, work, and socialize. Go to the lower class, blue collar, and lower middle class neighborhoods and the accents more than likely stay the same. Same with the elitist at the top who don't mingle with anyone outside of their social circle and their accent usually stays however it was as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM

13,085 posts, read 13,572,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Texas has an accent, it's a spanish one though. .
Only spoken by Spanish people.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:54 PM

117 posts, read 202,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
There isn't any prejudice here! I just picked the states that alot people would consider southern states. Honestly, I didn't want to put Virginia on here because I feel that it is more northern.
Have you never spoken to someone from Lynchburg, VA? OMG, that is the accent that most movies and mini-series like GWTW and North and South immulate as the stereotypical southern accent from Hollywood's POV. Richmond, the capitol of the CSA will be interested to know that it's really in the North. Just because a bunch of Northerner's live there doesn't make it a Northern state. Most native Virginians without Yankee parents would consider themselves totally Southern.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM

6,758 posts, read 14,098,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It's funny to me how so many are picking states because they have the least amount of transplants. Having transplants doesn't weaken the accent, it just adds a twist to the areas that do have transplants not the entire state. Even in cities with transplants the areas heavily affected are really the ones where the transplants live, work, and socialize. Go to the lower class, blue collar, and lower middle class neighborhoods and the accents more than likely stay the same. Same with the elitist at the top who don't mingle with anyone outside of their social circle and their accent usually stays however it was as well.
That is true!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 PM

210 posts, read 331,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeglass View Post
Have you never spoken to someone from Lynchburg, VA? OMG, that is the accent that most movies and mini-series like GWTW and North and South immulate as the stereotypical southern accent from Hollywood's POV. Richmond, the capitol of the CSA will be interested to know that it's really in the North. Just because a bunch of Northerner's live there doesn't make it a Northern state. Most native Virginians without Yankee parents would consider themselves totally Southern.
I agree. Areas like Lynchburg, Appomatox, Farmville, Martinsville, and Danville still have strong southern accents to this day. Some people forget that VA still has areas with strong southern influences. People seem to only think of the Tidewater, and NOVA when they think of Virginia.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM

925 posts, read 1,501,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I agree. Areas like Lynchburg, Appomatox, Farmville, Martinsville, and Danville still have strong southern accents to this day. Some people forget that VA still has areas with strong southern influences. People seem to only think of the Tidewater, and NOVA when they think of Virginia.
The southern accent is strong, not only in Lynchburg, Martinsville, and Danville, but I've found it also to be particularly strong near Bristol, as well as along the Blue Ridge chain through areas in close proximity to Blacksburg and Roanoke (granted the actual city of Roanoke may be a bit more mild form of southern accent).

The Richmond area has a distinct southern accent too

The only areas of Virginia where it seems the accent has been diluted to an extent where it is in danger of becoming a rarity is in extreme northeastern Virginia, from Fredericksburg northward to DC. Areas west of this line still maintain somewhat of a southern accent, particularly around Culpepper. Areas such as Harrisonburg, Warrenton, Staunton, and Waynesboro have a noticeable southern accent.

I'm not too familiar with Tidewater Virginia, as it's off the beaten path.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,228,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
What state was "Bumblescum" from Family Guy in?
Bumblescum, Alabama-Family Guy Wiki

Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,663 times
Alabama is the best state i've seen.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 8,663 times
There 's not much southern talk after you get south of the panhandle of Florida.The schools in Alabama discourage the southern accent....most of the younger kids there can speak both dialects.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,207,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeglass View Post
Have you never spoken to someone from Lynchburg, VA? OMG, that is the accent that most movies and mini-series like GWTW and North and South immulate as the stereotypical southern accent from Hollywood's POV.
Lynchburg area accents are crazy...the first time I heard a Lynchburg native speak, I thought it was so interesting how stereotypically old South they sounded. Sounded just like what I had heard in movies. Very strong Southern accent in Lynchburg, Danville, Amherst, Appomatox etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City