U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 41,925,979 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Are there slices of Compton in Wyoming, or a Hispanic ghetto in Minneapolis? I'm just interested if you know of any urban 'ghettos' in areas you would not expect them. I don't use it in a necessarily bad term; they can be interesting places. Just curious about those outtatheway places.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Boston
7,167 posts, read 14,946,827 times
Reputation: 8413
ghetto is technically an particular area (usually a small one, like a few blocks or a small neighborhood), that is dominated primarily by one race or ethnic group usually of a lower socioeconomic standing.

Fall River, MA (pop. 93,000) has a huge concentration of Portuguese (which is well established), but there are large sections of Cambodian and Cape Verdian families.

New Bedford, MA (pop 95,000) has a few neighborhoods that are predominantly Guatemalan. Like Fall River, it's primarily Portuguese though.

Springfield MA is well known around Massachusetts for having large Puerto Rican populations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,865 posts, read 4,113,942 times
Reputation: 2140
Norcross, GA with it's Spanish Barrio around the Singleton and Jimmy Carter Blvd area will catch a first time visitor to metro Atlanta as unexpected.

Though far from being 'ghetto' areas; Duluth, GA's Little Asia around Satelitte Blvd and North Irving, TX's Little India around MacArthur Blvd are unexpected pockets of highly concentrated ethnic areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 13,338,385 times
Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are there slices of Compton in Wyoming, or a Hispanic ghetto in Minneapolis? I'm just interested if you know of any urban 'ghettos' in areas you would not expect them. I don't use it in a necessarily bad term; they can be interesting places. Just curious about those outtatheway places.
Well I wouldn't call it a ghetto (though many suburbanites would), but Lake St. in south Minneapolis has tons of Mexican/Hispanic shops, reaturants, businesses, se habla espanol signs and the like for a 3 or 4 mile stretch. Many hispanics live in the adjacent neighborhoods.

One of the most bizarre ones I have seen is a tiny corner of Coral Gables, FL that is a black ghetto. CG is one of, if not the, poshest suburbs of Miami. You can tell where the ghetto is on a map by the street names. Virtually every street in the city has a spanish name (Cortez, Alhambra, Salzedo, etc.), except in their little ghetto the streets have Anglo names (Jefferson, Frow, Florida, Booker, etc.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Rio Grande Valley/Tone City
362 posts, read 909,790 times
Reputation: 128
How about all the Ghettos with white people? There are more of those nationwide.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
 
13,974 posts, read 21,550,844 times
Reputation: 4031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Well I wouldn't call it a ghetto (though many suburbanites would), but Lake St. in south Minneapolis has tons of Mexican/Hispanic shops, reaturants, businesses, se habla espanol signs and the like for a 3 or 4 mile stretch. Many hispanics live in the adjacent neighborhoods.

One of the most bizarre ones I have seen is a tiny corner of Coral Gables, FL that is a black ghetto. CG is one of, if not the, poshest suburbs of Miami. You can tell where the ghetto is on a map by the street names. Virtually every street in the city has a spanish name (Cortez, Alhambra, Salzedo, etc.), except in their little ghetto the streets have Anglo names (Jefferson, Frow, Florida, Booker, etc.)
I never new about that in coral gables til I looked it up. That's strange.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati(Silverton)
1,564 posts, read 2,257,391 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
How about all the Ghettos with white people? There are more of those nationwide.
Trailer parks? If you are talking abour that. Their are THOUSANDS.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 13,338,385 times
Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I never new about that in coral gables til I looked it up. That's strange.
I suspect that if you looked up the history, this neighborhood was designed to house the household help of the reisdents of Coral Gables. I haven't been there for years, but when I lived in Miami this area had, unlike the winding, tree shaded streets of the rest of the Gables, it was laid out with narrow shotgun houses fronting on gravel lanes, with little yard space between them. Unlike northern ghettos, Miami's historic ghettos never were middle class neighborhoods, they were designed as segregated black ghettos from the get-go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,420 posts, read 52,059,761 times
Reputation: 14357
California's Central Valley has huge Indian Sikh and Hmong Populations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Galewood
3,584 posts, read 8,244,791 times
Reputation: 1890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Unlike northern ghettos, Miami's historic ghettos never were middle class neighborhoods, they were designed as segregated black ghettos from the get-go.
Sounds like Chicago's housing projects CHICAGO HOUSING PROJECTS
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top