Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you favor?
Denver CO 77 60.63%
Houston TX 50 39.37%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Taco Cabana is f*ing awesome! Apparently they used to be in Denver.

Ding, ding, ding! 100 points for "obscure Denver fast food trivia"!

I was so happy the first time I lived here when they opened up in the Denver area. There was one just across the street from the Villa Italia mall, one out on Arapahoe Rd. in front of what I think is now the Home Depot, and I believe one in Aurora south of the mall by the Home Depot. Now they're all Arby's. For some reason they pulled out after a couple years. They had one in West Covina, CA at one time too, and it's gone. I think they retreated back to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

I was so happy the first time I lived here when they opened up in the Denver area. There was one just across the street from the Villa Italia mall, one out on Arapahoe Rd. in front of what I think is now the Home Depot, and I believe one in Aurora south of the mall by the Home Depot. Now they're all Arby's. For some reason they pulled out after a couple years. They had one in West Covina, CA at one time too, and it's gone. I think they retreated back to Texas.
There was one on 28th St. in Boulder, also.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
OK, I'll admit I have no clue what "Houston Food" would be, but whenever I'm in Texas, I have to hit Taco Cabana, and they have them in Dallas/Ft. Worth. And I rarely eat fast food! If you've never eaten at one, you can't miss them- most are along freeways in pink buildings with palm trees around them. They all have an outdoor eating area too. It's just good (IMO), cheap Tex Mex food with a decent salsa bar, plus beer and margaritas if you're in the mood.
My girlfriend and i are both from Colorado and we both think the cold brutal winters in Colorado are just as bad as the heat and humidity in the summer. They're both uncomfortable feelings. It's definitely a trade off. As i said before, there are just as many people who hate freezing temps as there are who hate the heat and humidity.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times
Don't hate me, but I went to the Taco Cabana in Fort Worth last summer and I was not impressed! I had them when they were here in Denver and never went back. Houston's restaurants are only matched by those in Chicago for uniquiness and taste! As I have said before, I would be a very large person if I lived in either city. Fort Worth has some incredible steaks in the Stock Yard district.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:

HOLY ****! You just definitively answered the question that's been bugging me for years!
Mexican Restaurant

You're talking about the place that is currently this Arby's, right?:

I use to eat there as a kid over 10 years ago! And I've always missed their food, but forgot the name of the place. I did some research and the name Taco Cabana came up, but it didn't seem to ring any bells. But apparently that's EXACTLY what it was!

You are THE MAN!

They also have locations in Albuquerque, NM.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

197 posts, read 797,099 times
I picked the lesser of 2 evils. Denver.

I absolutely loathe Houston - but I live here - work here. It's just so damn ugly - and crowded!

[and hot right now! grrrrr]

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
He asked the same question on the Texas page. Last time I checked it, it was Denver 8, Houston 7.
Oh - guess I'll have to go find that post and vote again for Denver.

LMAO

Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Rant On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
is there anything else about Houston that is somehow undesirable?
Sorry - can I tell you how I really feel? And I was born here.

1 - the hispanic population is outrageous [mainly illegals]

2 - drivers are idiots [hang up the cell phone and drive! Speed up - move over or get the h377 outta the way]

3 - its FLAT as a pancake here

4 - traffic is a nightmare

5 - Galveston and the bay area are dirty [shame]

I could list some other factors, but that would get me banned.

The good?

1 - Cheap to live here

2 - good $$ if you're in Oil & Gas/Engineering

And THATS it!

/Rant Off

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
You should probably be comparing Denver to San Antonio or Austin. Those places have a shot at competing for my vote. Houston would be my last choice amongst a huge list of cities.
Houston is very underrated and gets a bad rap.

I've lived in Austin and Houston, and am very familiar with San Antonio.

The biggest difference? San Antonio and Austin (especially the latter) get better press. That's it. They're not even that much less humid, and are just as hot. They have the same sprawling nature and lack of mass transit Houston does (though at least Houston has one rail line).
Houston actually offers a lot more in big city amenities and things to do. It has great restaurants, culture/museums, and is driving distance to the beach.

I just don't understand why so many people say things like that - that of all the Texas cities, Houston is the worst. Honestly, if you really knew Houston, I think you'd realize it should be at the top of the list rather than the bottom. It's obvious the city has done a terrible job on PR...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post
Sorry - can I tell you how I really feel? And I was born here.
Well sure, but the negatives just described a ton of other cities.

And you left out 95% of the positives.

If you're going to be so unfair, you should provide a disclaimer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City