Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you favor?
Denver CO 77 60.63%
Houston TX 50 39.37%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,238,987 times

Advertisements

I'm doing a little experiment to see how people view Denver and Houston since it seems like more and more people are growing fond of both Denver and Houston. I know Denver was recently on a poll as one of the most desirable places to live and Houston was on the list as the most visited place in Texas last year.

Just a few things to take note:

Houston is among the fastest growing cities in the nationg and still adding in alot of jobs. Has fine museum district, nightlife, access to beach, and year round theater. Has one of the largest shopping malls in the country and is the nations 4th largest city. Great ethnic diversity, great restaurants, and has some of the best suburbs in the nation: (IE Sugarland and The Woodlands)

Denver has a great opportunities, museums, and has recently expanded their lightrail system almost more than most major cities. Has great restaurants and clean air. Great scenery, access to mountains and skiing. Has a great downtown atmosphere off 16th street mall, and other amazing things.

Sorry couldn't go into more detail but i'm sure some of you can help me out. I'm kind of expecting a little Colorado bias so I started the same topic in the Texas forum to get different viewpoints.

Thanks

Last edited by stoneclaw; 02-24-2009 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM

169 posts, read 670,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I'm doing a little experiment to see how people view Denver and Houston since it seems like more and more people are growing fond of both Denver and Houston. I know Denver was recently on a poll as one of the most desirable places to live and Houston was on the list as the most visited place in Texas last name.

I'm kind of expecting a little Colorado bias so I started the same topic in the Texas forum to get different viewpoints.
I voted Denver - not a big fan of Houston at all. I'm originally from New Orleans BTW and have lived in CO for 3 years.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,223,264 times
Houston is one place I never care to even see, let alone live there.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Houston is one place I never care to even see, let alone live there.
any reasons why? Or is just preference because of weather. I know the humidity can be a huge turnoff.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 AM

11,813 posts, read 34,268,187 times
Isn't Houston the third largest city in the US?

Isn't comparing Houston to Denver like comparing pomelos to cuties?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,357,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Isn't Houston the third largest city in the US?

Isn't comparing Houston to Denver like comparing pomelos to cuties?
Except the poll question asks which city do you favor not really comparing the two.

I went with Denver because the location, by the mountains, the weather, change of season and not muggy, finally I like the Front Range Urban Corridor and think it is unique as to what it brings to America.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,747,844 times
Having been to both, Denver hands down. Sure Houston has more trees but Houston's oppressive humidity and lack of mountains are a huge turnoff. Plus you're less likely to be impacted by a hurricane in Denver.

Denver has a better climate, better scenery, and more outdoor activities. In addition, you can actually be active outdoors in August in Denver without seeing your life flash before your eyes as you start dying of heatstroke.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,063,645 times
bluecreen, that last sentence is too funny!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
I haven't spent enough time in Houston to have seen the parts I would like, but through a couple friends who live there, I don't think I'd like it.

It's too hot and humid in summer, too flat, too spread out, too conservative, too religious, and then I just don't like the Texas culture. I lived in San Antonio for 2 years and didn't really care for it much.

I think most people would either like Houston or Denver, probably not both. Just very different places. It's like comparing Tucson to Providence.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,238,987 times
Dang i guess this pretty much sums it up. Looks like Denver has already won this one. I should've known there wouldn't be any love for a Texas city in the Colorado forums.

What gets me is people talk about climate in Houston like Hot/humid is the only climate it gets. The worst of it only lasts from mid June through mid September. That's 3 months. The rest of the year is pleasant. From mid Sept- Nov, it's hot but not oppressively humid. December through March is where it gets its coldest with pleasant breezes. March through June is basically warm with pleasant breezes (just like Spring time in Colorado).

To me, having lived in Colorado for 22 years, i had a hard time dealing with the cold and freezing temperatures 4-6 months out of the year.

I guess to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City