U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,244,851 times

Advertisements

Wow, a lot of people visited Alcatraz last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM

31,598 posts, read 53,206,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
NYC clearly #1.

Yeah, this is better than the GaWC list.
I agree.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,137,047 times
One Foreign council member and the Chicago team? They must have not done their homework, Texas is home to the most F-500 HQ's in the nation. Dallas and Houston certainly ahead of smaller Atlanta. Atlanta is important but Dallas and Houston have the edge.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,661,447 times
Well Atlanta is considered a global city can people just accept that ANd not try and find faults are things to justify why it shouldnt be or why there city should be ahead of Atlanta

Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,830,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
One Foreign council member and the Chicago team? They must have not done their homework, Texas is home to the most F-500 HQ's in the nation. Dallas and Houston certainly ahead of smaller Atlanta. Atlanta is important but Dallas and Houston have the edge.
How can someone make a statement like this? You must know this "fact" through your years of research and time spent in all 3 cities... Sorry, but I think most people would rather believe a ranking based on factual information and research than one based on homerism and personal opinion - and nothing else.

"Smaller Atlanta"...I love that one. Sweetie, when you're talking about cities of 5 million plus, a difference of 200,000 does NOT make one signficantly larger or smaller. I'm sorry, but they ranked Atlanta higher than your two Texas cities. Big deal!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,785,705 times
Besides, isn't this particular study about world connectivity?

I would argue that Atlanta is more globally connected than either of our Texas neighbors, and the study seems to agree.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM

11,622 posts, read 31,834,747 times
Quote:
Sorry, it's not Atlanta vs. the entire state of Texas.

This study took several things into consideration. A lot of really smart people did a lot of research to come up with these rankings. And while Texans may be shocked--SHOCKED-- that their beloved cities are ranked below Atlanta in this study, those of us who have travelled extensively throughout the world agree that this study is pretty darn accurate.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM

4,835 posts, read 9,796,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Uh oh. This new list isn't going to make some from Houston very happy...

First thing that came to mind when I saw the US and saw no Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
im surprised Atlanta is on the list So many people feel like Atlanta is no nationally none are dont have any influence at all on the world But i always felt atlanta had a of economic power I remember this Houston Vs atlanta who is more nationally known. here is where that map came from
Atlanta is home to the CDC which is the first thing that comes to my mind when talking about Atlanta as a global city. The CDC is very important. Also Turner and Coca Cola two huge companies along with Delta Airlines and the largest Airport in the world. No surprise to see Atlanta. I think the CDC is more important than any fortune 500 company Houston or Dallas might have. [/font]

Old 03-04-2009, 03:47 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,836,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
First thing that came to mind when I saw the US and saw no Houston.

Atlanta is home to the CDC which is the first thing that comes to my mind when talking about Atlanta as a global city. The CDC is very important. Also Turner and Coca Cola two huge companies along with Delta Airlines and the largest Airport in the world. No surprise to see Atlanta. I think the CDC is more important than any fortune 500 company Houston or Dallas might have. [/font]
Oil,Technology,Medicine,Aerospace,ports,energy,etc

Take your pick.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM

969 posts, read 2,549,582 times
Quote:

WAAAAAH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or