U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,658,942 times
Reputation: 191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We're all guilty. You under-represented Houston yourself.

The economy of Houston is primarily based on the energy industry (particularly oil), however, biomedical research and aerospace are also large parts of the city's economic base. The Houston metropolitan area comprises the largest petrochemical manufacturing area in the world, including for synthetic rubber, insecticides, and fertilizers. The area is also the world's leading center for building oilfield equipment. The city is home to 5,000 energy-related establishments, including many of the top oil and gas exploration and production firms and petroleum pipeline operators. [1] Houston is second to New York City in Fortune 500 headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,223 posts, read 25,920,077 times
Reputation: 8987
Um. You actually proved my point. I did say it is the largest industry. But it doesn't dominate any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,755,701 times
Reputation: 877
[quote=jluke65780;7746690]Sorry let me rephrase that. One of the largest ports in the world, NASA, TMC (Largest concentration of medical facilities in the world), Growing Technology field (look up nanoworld), Astrodome (First Domed Stadium), Oil (Shell,Exxon,etc),etc.

The fact thay you even agree with this list makes me wonder. I'd think something is wrong if Atlanta was missing as well. Houston SPECALIZES in Oil for AMERICA. That alone should place us on the list.
NYC=Finance
LA=Entertainment
MIA=Tourism
HOU=OIL
SF=Technology
ATL=????? Soda????[/
QUOTE]

Let me correct this a little

NYC = finance, fashion and major port to atlantic
LA = entertainment and major port of pacific
MIA = Tourism
Houston = all energy (not just oil) major port to gulf of mex and medicine
San Jose = technology
ATL = communications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
6,814 posts, read 9,380,595 times
Reputation: 6024
[quote=sweetclimber;7773755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sorry let me rephrase that. One of the largest ports in the world, NASA, TMC (Largest concentration of medical facilities in the world), Growing Technology field (look up nanoworld), Astrodome (First Domed Stadium), Oil (Shell,Exxon,etc),etc.

The fact thay you even agree with this list makes me wonder. I'd think something is wrong if Atlanta was missing as well. Houston SPECALIZES in Oil for AMERICA. That alone should place us on the list.
NYC=Finance
LA=Entertainment
MIA=Tourism
HOU=OIL
SF=Technology
ATL=????? Soda????[/QUOTE]

Let me correct this a little

NYC = finance, fashion and major port to atlantic
LA = entertainment and major port of pacific
MIA = Tourism
Houston = all energy (not just oil) major port to gulf of mex and medicine
San Jose = technology
ATL = communications
After looking over the 5 Dimensions (categories) on page 1, and seeing some of the weaker foreign cities that were overrated - I agree with you 100% that Houston should be on this list. At least in the middle if not higher. I wonder if this is part of some Anti-Bush/Anti Texas agenda nonsense. Still overall I still like this list better than the even more flawed GAWC survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,057,322 times
Reputation: 3973
???

Are you guys still at it? I cannot believe you haven't started (or continued a previous) thread for Houston VS. Atlanta. I vote you as the new biggest city rivalry. Some of us are more interested in things other than Houston and Atlanta.

Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,452,539 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
???

Are you guys still at it? I cannot believe you haven't started (or continued a previous) thread for Houston VS. Atlanta. I vote you as the new biggest city rivalry. Some of us are more interested in things other than Houston and Atlanta.

Please.
Then post those other "interesting things".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,057,322 times
Reputation: 3973
It's a pretty good list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 12:53 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,658,942 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Um. You actually proved my point. I did say it is the largest industry. But it doesn't dominate any longer.

I didnt say that you guys didnt have more to your economy but the primarily based on energy and oil meaning thats the main thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,658,942 times
Reputation: 191
[quote=LINative;7777436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post

After looking over the 5 Dimensions (categories) on page 1, and seeing some of the weaker foreign cities that were overrated - I agree with you 100% that Houston should be on this list. At least in the middle if not higher. I wonder if this is part of some Anti-Bush/Anti Texas agenda nonsense. Still overall I still like this list better than the even more flawed GAWC survey.
you have to read what they based the study on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,223 posts, read 25,920,077 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I didnt say that you guys didnt have more to your economy but the primarily based on energy and oil meaning thats the main thing.
We are repeating the same thing. But I am telling you that it does not dominate Houston like you seem to believe. Every city has a main economy. New York has finance, Washington has government, Chicago has transportation, Atlanta has business. But the also have other large industries that have a significant presence in those cities. This includes the city of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top