Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,149 times

Advertisements

If US Major metropolises, which do you think is great/best at preserving their respective cities landmarks or historic places/neighboorhoods.

I'm particularly curious about those out west cause scince they are younger then the old north cities (If you want to compare when cities "came of age" as major hubs) I don't hear that much about them doing that.

Philly does a fair job with it's neighboorhoods near independence mall (not to mention the mall itself) among others

I hear Boston has done a good job preserving and highlighting certain buildings and even entire neighboorhoods.

DC has done a good job with architecture in Georgetown (they even got in a tizzy with Apple over having their store design be too modern) to say nothing of it's other world renowned landmarks.

NYC is a no brainer, same with Chicago.

With creativity (and a lot of money) I see a lot of possible places Detroit could revatilze and preserve. DetroitYES - Tour Detroit - Index of Virtual Tours of Detroit

Any big southern cities deserving of praise (I hear teh ATL has lost a bit of it's old architectural flavor scince the 70s when it came of age).

I bet Texas would be big about historical preservation, though I see that more so in certain smaller or more isolated instances (such as the Alamo) in relation to cities, due to their cities really getting big after the war (just my impression DON'T STONE ME, TEXANS!)

TO reiterate, I would really like to hear from those people out west for what they think about their big cities (LA, San Fran, Seattle, Phoenix, Denver. Texas, etc.) but all are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
While there might be a best, I'm disappointed of what people find as acceptable to do to historical sites or potential historical sites. No city is that good at preserving history.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

Philly does a fair job with it's neighboorhoods near independence mall (not to mention the mall itself) among others
Old City Philadephia 1930.Independence Hall at the forefront

Unfortunately Independence Mall took out a whole neighborhood of 18th + 19th centuries homes and businesses. Philadelphia should have done a much better job at protecting its past over time.The theory was to give Independence Hall and the Liberty a so called "spotlight". I think they should have left things alone.

Same location today.Thankfully they only demolished this one section of old city.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Alot of cities did that to show off an important feature. The Arch in Saint Louis. The Capitol in Saint Paul. The Mall in Washington. At least we got vacant space instead of projects.
I'm not the expert on preservation that I should be, but I think New Orleans would be one of the strictest among large cities.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Unfortunately Independence Mall took out a whole neighborhood of 18th + 19th centuries homes and businesses. Philadelphia should have done a much better job at protecting its past over time.The theory was to give Independence Hall and the Liberty a so called "spotlight". I think they should have left things alone.

Same location today.Thankfully they only demolished this one section of old city.
That's tragic. That was a gorgeous old section of the city.

Up in Boston they do an excellent job of preservation, but the 60s spelled disaster for huge chunks of the old city. The ENTIRE West End neighborhood was demolished for a "tower in the park" style neighborhood with highrises that would fit into just about any city. Scollay Square was demolished for the horrible City Hall Plaza. Philly is not the only one who has some mistakes in that regard.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
And its not just Philadelphia and Boston. New York obviously torn down alot of old buildings to build those skyscrappers. I believe that even the house that George Washington lived in when he was President was torn down to build the Brooklyn bridge. Housing projects now occupy the sites of several Coney Island amusement parks as well as the Polo Grounds (ex NY Giants) and Ebberts Field (ex Brooklyn Dodgers).

They leveled hills and filled in bays, streams and ponds including The Collect which would be beautiful if it was still in downtown NY. Even the orginial New York Common (now City Hall Park) has half its room used up by buildings. The old Sugar house with its Revolutionary and Colonial history and which actually survived until the late 1800s, is now buried within Police Headquarters.

But the worst, the absolute worst of them all was the destruction of Pennsylvania station in the 1960s.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
On a more postive note - and getting a bit offtrack from the OP is how many ships we have saved.
This is especially true compared to the Royal Navy - incredibly and sadly none of the Royal Navy WW1 and WW2 battleships and aircraft carriers have been saved. There is one old wooden ship of the line saved, Nelson's Victory.

Just off hand there are battleship and aircraft carriers saved in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Alabama, Texas, California and Hawaii. The passenger liner Queen Mary is perserved in California. In addition the old wooden frigates Constitution and Constellation are found in Boston and Baltimore harbors respectively.

I believe the battleship USS Wisconsin is also looking for a permanent home also.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,149 times
Those can count.

Dang, I didn't know of the Old Philadelphia City razing, I haven't been down there in years. When did they get rid of all those buildings?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

That's a shame. There's some beautiful architecture in that neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 AM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And its not just Philadelphia and Boston. New York obviously torn down alot of old buildings to build those skyscrappers..
It's a shame. It happens in most of the older cities. I love looking at pictures of NYC from the 1930s... absolutely gorgeous. The skyline with all of those spires and the old low rises filling the gaps. I did a research paper on the old Singer Building (demolished) when I was in 8th grade.

Your point about ships being preserved is a good one. I can think of a bunch of them in my area... we have Battleship Cove (The U.S.S. Massachusetts and others), The Schooner Ernestina, U.S.S. Constitution ("Old Ironsides" whose sister ship is in Baltimore's Inner Harbor) and a bunch of others.

Hopefully we learn from our mistakes in the past (namely the 60s) and start preserving, because once they're gone, they're not coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City