Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If you include NYC and Philly, of course it does.
Yes, I am including NYC and Philly. But, even if you didnt include NYC and Philly its still more to do in Jersey.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Yes, I am including NYC and Philly. But, even if you didnt include NYC and Philly its still more to do in Jersey.
Probably, but I wouldn't say significantly so--at least from what I know.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You missed the entire conversation up to the point where I mentioned that study. Go back and check it out to see what I was getting at.

Absolutely not.

I thought we were talking about SC vs. NJ, not SC vs. NJ, PA, and NY. SC isn't a paradise, but at least it can make a case for itself within its own borders.
NJ does have some really bad areas such as: Newark, Trenton, Camden and a few others.

Overall as a whole NJ is a lot safer than SC

SC voted 4th worst state in a poll that included 6 total areas of crime. Assault, Burgalry, Murder, Motor Vehicle Theft, Rape and Robbery

Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

So dont try to say that SC as a whole has less crime than NJ because it doesnt. I just proved it

Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
NJ does have some really bad areas such as: Newark, Trenton, Camden and a few others.

Overall as a whole NJ is a lot safer than SC

SC voted 4th worst state in a poll that included 6 total areas of crime. Assault, Burgalry, Murder, Motor Vehicle Theft, Rape and Robbery

Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance

So dont try to say that SC as a whole has less crime than NJ because it doesnt. I just proved it
Not necessarily. I actually participated in a discussion about this a few years ago on another message board. The means of reporting crime differs among the states; there is no uniform standard applied across the board. South Carolina actually has several crime-reporting measures in place and reports those statistics quite thoroughly while many states don't. So I would say that in terms of reporting crime, South Carolina definitely ranks higher. As far as the reality, I don't know. I'm not saying that South Carolina is this crime-free haven because God knows it isn't, but it isn't always an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to other states.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. I actually participated in a discussion about this a few years ago on another message board. The means of reporting crime differs among the states; there is no uniform standard applied across the board. South Carolina actually has several crime-reporting measures in place and reports those statistics quite thoroughly while many states don't. So I would say that in terms of reporting crime, South Carolina definitely ranks higher. As far as the reality, I don't know. I'm not saying that South Carolina is this crime-free haven because God knows it isn't, but it isn't always an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to other states.
The thing that cracks me up about SC is that you can have a decent town like Summerville right next to N Charleston. You go from a decent, small, nice town to ghetto in two minutes

Not just in NJ, but in other states its not that way.

EX) Camden is a bad area and everyone knows it. Therfore, you simply just dont go to Camden. Its no way to avoid N Chas

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
sounds like excuses to me

Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
The thing that cracks me up about SC is that you can have a decent town like Summerville right next to N Charleston. You go from a decent, small, nice town to ghetto in two minutes

Not just in NJ, but in other states its not that way.

EX) Camden is a bad area and everyone knows it. Therfore, you simply just dont go to Camden. Its no way to avoid N Chas
Summerville isn't next to the really bad part(s) of North Charleston. But even so, in several cities, you can go from a nice part of town to a sketchy part of town in minutes. That's hardly exclusive to Charleston (which is only one city of several in South Carolina). Even so, that would be better than a whole town being a ghetto.

And I've not been to Camden, but I'm pretty sure the whole city isn't a ghetto like you're making it out to be.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
sounds like excuses to me
No, it's truth. You'll discover it if you learn to read between the lines sometime.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Summerville isn't next to the really bad part(s) of North Charleston. But even so, in several cities, you can go from a nice part of town to a sketchy part of town in minutes. That's hardly exclusive to Charleston (which is only one city of several in South Carolina). Even so, that would be better than a whole town being a ghetto.

And I've not been to Camden, but I'm pretty sure the whole city isn't a ghetto like you're making it out to be.
1. I have lived in Summerville. The only way for me to get to the interstate was through N Chas

2. It ranks as being top 5 in the United States in crime. Even the nice areas look below average

Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
I believe that this is the worlds fastest growing thread!!! LOL because I just took a shower and the last thing I looked at was this thread and when I get out it's like a new page of post is up here!!! LOL WOW!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City