U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,510,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
its no secret that fast food and chain restaurant culture owns the rural south...come on, talking the home of 1500 waffle houses. Where longhorn steak house has valet parking... I haven't spent much time in columbia...but plenty of other similar size cities in the south, if it is anything like it, going to be pretty crap options overall.
There are more than just a few things wrong with this statement. One, Columbia is not rural, it's a small city thus making it urban (technically anyway). Two, the REAL rural South is dominated by country food usually made with local product. Rural areas are lucky if they even have a Sonic in town.

And if you all in the north have some vision of southerners eating nothing but greasy, microwaved fast food all week you need to clear that out of your mind right now.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM

3,400 posts, read 4,910,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i didnt prove any point. Im actually in south carolina and im calling u out on this. SC overwhemingly consist of "chain" food. It simply cant even begin to be on the same level as jersey. Its laughable actually
I think you need to explore Columbia more dearie. Ive found a wonderful little Greek place downtown with great Gyros, awesome locally owned coffee shops.

Silly K.O.N.Y. You're just not looking in the right places.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
its no secret that fast food and chain restaurant culture owns the rural south...come on, talking the home of 1500 waffle houses. Where longhorn steak house has valet parking... I haven't spent much time in columbia...but plenty of other similar size cities in the south, if it is anything like it, going to be pretty crap options overall compared to the rest of the u.s. That whole region north florida/georgia/alabama/missisippi/arkansas/south carolina is behind, outside of major metro like ATL, the rest of the u.s. in culinary options.
Did it ever occur to you that whoever you were traveling with had no clue about the better restaurants themselves? Just because you didn't personally experience a quality restaurant down south doesn't mean they aren't there.

This is like a southerner going up to Manhattan and eating at Taco Bell or Quizno's or some tourist trap in Times Square and saying "New York has no good food."

Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 AM

12,395 posts, read 14,714,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Did it ever occur to you that whoever you were traveling with had no clue about the better restaurants themselves? Just because you didn't personally experience a quality restaurant down south doesn't mean they aren't there.

This is like a southerner going up to Manhattan and eating at Taco Bell or Quizno's or some tourist trap in Times Square and saying "New York has no good food."
i lived in the south for about 20 years, it sucks in comparison. I've been to plenty of places locals raved about only to find stuff unedible.
local product, you mean walmart? if it isn't the worst culinary area in the u.s. the states i named, then what is? b/c you konw...something is. somebody has to be last. I've also lived in Paris, Chicago and now sf, all culinary meccas... I know what good food is, sure there are some/ but overall/ no wayyy. I remain with my original statement, it is behind the rest of the u.s. in culinary options. period.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Quote:
i lived in the south for about 20 years, it sucks in comparison. I've been to plenty of places locals raved about only to find stuff unedible.
local product, you mean walmart? if it isn't the worst culinary area in the u.s. the states i named, then what is? b/c you konw...something is. I've also lived in Paris, Chicago and now sf, I know what good food is, sure there are some/ but overall/ no wayyy. I remain with my original statement, it is behind the rest of the u.s. in culinary options. period.
Well, most of the South isn't anymore full of fast-food restaurants than anywhere else in the U.S...

Areas with the highest number of fast-food restaurants per capita:

American Vice: Mapping the 7 Deadly Sins

Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 AM

12,395 posts, read 14,714,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, most of the South isn't anymore full of fast-food restaurants than anywhere else in the U.S...

Areas with the highest number of fast-food restaurants per capita:

American Vice: Mapping the 7 Deadly Sins
cool map...note I did not include atlanta off the states listed, nor did i include la or tx mostly just the deep south, which i don't consider places like metro atl a part of...but columbia i would consider in this...

Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
local product, you mean walmart? if it isn't the worst culinary area in the u.s. the states i named, then what is? b/c you konw...something is. somebody has to be last. I've also lived in Paris, Chicago and now sf, all culinary meccas... I know what good food is, sure there are some/ but overall/ no wayyy. I remain with my original statement, it is behind the rest of the u.s. in culinary options. period.
Okay, well that's your opinion, but it's all subjective. I say the South is ahead of everybody else. I am not impressed or the least bit fazed by pretentious names like Paris or San Francisco. I want real food. Cooking that comes from the heart. Perfectly seasoned food served in an unassuming setting.

And Wal-Mart isn't usually found in rural areas. And it is common for rural restaurants to use local produce in their ingredients. My grandma, for example, uses fresh fruits grown right in the state of Georgia for her jelly preserves. And the catfish we would eat is the same ones we caught in the Savannah River.

I'm sorry your culinary experience in the South was so unpleasant, but that doesn't mean everyone shares your views.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,450,235 times
Quote:
cool map...note I did not include atlanta off the states listed, nor did i include la or tx mostly just the deep south, which i don't consider places like metro atl a part of...but columbia i would consider in this...
Atlanta is part of the Deep South whether you include it or not. Your preference doesn't change that fact.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,224,269 times
This thread was resurrected from the graveyard of the back pages so Southerners could gripe apparently. Oh............ and espouse the virtue of grits.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:19 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
This thread was resurrected from the graveyard of the back pages so Southerners could gripe apparently. Oh............ and espouse the virtue of grits.
Hmmm...you should really take a good look at who is "gripicoing" before making such a silly statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City