U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM
 
5,295 posts, read 4,489,750 times
Reputation: 4652

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Good way to avoid the truth when it is presented to you.
Go ahead & cling those stereotypes for dear life. I know they make you feel better & make the world easier to digest.
...you try to present "opinions" as "facts", then , yes, you'd better expect someone to call you out on it.

Making a statement calling NJ residents "the most educated in the country", and presenting it as fact, when it's FALSE, isn't truthful in any way, shape or form.

Calling NJ " one of the most desirable" states in the country" isn't a fact, either. And frankly, after seeing those those paragons of beauty--Camden, Trenton, Newark, etc., I'd be very careful about using the word "desirable' in any "truthful" statement you make..

 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,559 posts, read 3,204,108 times
Reputation: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Congratulations to all of the hateful NJ posters. Your state has more stuff!!! New Jersey, which as someone already pointed out is TWICE THE POPULATION of South Carolina, has more of everything - both good and bad...and more votes in this very important and far-reaching poll. Celebrate!

Some people think that a member such as myself shows allegience to a city or state just by supporting it in a discussion thread. I tend to support the underdog in almost any contest where I have no allegience, just because the underdog usually needs extra support. It's more fun that way. Now...carry on with the "my state is better than your state" stuff.
Please spare us...............
NJ is the perpetual, quintessential underdog. Stereotypes & all around falsehoods are Jersey's middle name.
The people of NJ know what's coming when the Garden State is brought up as a topic, so we must have the same round & round discussion with the same uninformed types constantly.
It gets annoying & frustrating to try & beat back the same nonsense all the time.
To tell you the truth, I don't care if the streets of SC are paved with gold. I'm a member of this message board to quell some of the ridiculous notions people have of one of the most quirky & unique states in the union.
If that means shedding some light through these stupid State V. State grudge matches, so be it.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,609,952 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Please spare us...............
NJ is the perpetual, quintessential underdog. Stereotypes & all around falsehoods are Jersey's middle name.
The people of NJ know what's coming when the Garden State is brought up as a topic, so we must have the same round & round discussion with the same uninformed types constantly.
It gets annoying & frustrating to try & beat back the same nonsense all the time.
To tell you the truth, I don't care if the streets of SC are paved with gold. I'm a member of this message board to quell some of the ridiculous notions people have of one of the most quirky & unique states in the union.
If that means shedding some light through these stupid State V. State grudge matches, so be it.
I can definitely tell you that you won't be quelling anyone's ridiculous notions about New Jersey with such an angry and aggressive attitude. That's not the way to change people's minds.

I never posted one negative statement about New Jersey, yet I've gotten a lot of negativity back from NJ posters simply because I posted some positive SC stuff. SC wasn't getting much love in this thread, so I thought I would help out. I had no idea I would get blasted for it.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,559 posts, read 3,204,108 times
Reputation: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...you try to present "opinions" as "facts", then , yes, you'd better expect someone to call you out on it.

Making a statement calling NJ residents "the most educated in the country", and presenting it as fact, when it's FALSE, isn't truthful in any way, shape or form.

Calling NJ " one of the most desirable" states in the country" isn't a fact, either. And frankly, after seeing those those paragons of beauty--Camden, Trenton, Newark, etc., I'd be very careful about using the word "desirable' in any "truthful" statement you make..
Take that up with the original poster guy.
If you notice, I said desirability is subjective.
And good way to keep harping on Newark & Camden. It's winning you points, I swear.

And the statistics denote NJ has one of the more educated populations in America.
I'm sorry if you don't like that. That seems like your issue to deal with.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,707 posts, read 4,942,505 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...you try to present "opinions" as "facts", then , yes, you'd better expect someone to call you out on it.

Making a statement calling NJ residents "the most educated in the country", and presenting it as fact, when it's FALSE, isn't truthful in any way, shape or form.

Calling NJ " one of the most desirable" states in the country" isn't a fact, either. And frankly, after seeing those those paragons of beauty--Camden, Trenton, Newark, etc., I'd be very careful about using the word "desirable' in any "truthful" statement you make..
FYI, my working was that NJ is "one of the most educated states", "one of the safest states", and "one of the most desirable states". Using the measures of such things that we have, all of those are true.

- I believe NJ is the 4th or 5th most educated state.

- NJ is the 15th safest state.

- Judging by real estate prices, NJ is one of the top most desirable states.

Again, why do people always bring up the 2 or 3 ghetto cities in NJ? Camden, Trenton, Paterson ... these are not representative of anything that NJ stands for. In fact, nobody goes there ... just the impoverished people that live there. Sheesh.

NJ is one of the safest states in the US, because 99% of the state is really nice. Those small, ghetto cities are irrelevant.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:12 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,559 posts, read 3,204,108 times
Reputation: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I can definitely tell you that you won't be quelling anyone's ridiculous notions about New Jersey with such an angry and aggressive attitude. That's not the way to change people's minds.
Hilarious!
Have you seen some of the ridiculous things people post about NJ here? It's the same nonsense over & over & over. Sorry if we are not being as cordial as you would like, but......................
It's like punching someone in the face & them blaming them for getting blood on the carpet.
Say things to **** people off & WOW!, they become pissed off. Amazing how that works.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,609,952 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Hilarious!
Have you seen some of the ridiculous things people post about NJ here? It's the same nonsense over & over & over. Sorry if we are not being as cordial as you would like, but......................
It's like punching someone in the face & them blaming them for getting blood on the carpet.
Say things to **** people off & WOW!, they become pissed off. Amazing how that works.
I said nothing of the sort...and still got mouth in return. What's that about?
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM
 
5,295 posts, read 4,489,750 times
Reputation: 4652
Default This is priceless..

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Please spare us...............
NJ is the perpetual, quintessential underdog. Stereotypes & all around falsehoods are Jersey's middle name.
The people of NJ know what's coming when the Garden State is brought up as a topic, so we must have the same round & round discussion with the same uninformed types constantly.
It gets annoying & frustrating to try & beat back the same nonsense all the time.
To tell you the truth, I don't care if the streets of SC are paved with gold. I'm a member of this message board to quell some of the ridiculous notions people have of one of the most quirky & unique states in the union.
If that means shedding some light through these stupid State V. State grudge matches, so be it.
..poor, misunderstood, "quirky" NJ...we'll take up a collection for you, except you'll probably embezzle the money, and claim it as an "administrative" cost..

You wouldn't have an argument from me if the two of you hadn't been making misleading ( and truly laughable) statements, all the while beating your chests about how "unique" and special NJ was. I could care less about this poll; I was just going to read a few lines, vote and move on. But some of the statements made here just demanded a response.

If you want the comments about Camden, et al., to stop, then do something about them. If NJ is as great and as wealthy as you claim , then there's no reason to tolerate such abysmal places within your state borders.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,559 posts, read 3,204,108 times
Reputation: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You wouldn't have an argument from me if the two of you hadn't been making misleading ( and truly laughable) statements
You keep blaming me for the statements of others. Tell me what I said that was "laughable" and "misleading"?
 
Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,707 posts, read 4,942,505 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..poor, misunderstood, "quirky" NJ...we'll take up a collection for you, except you'll probably embezzle the money, and claim it as an "administrative" cost..

You wouldn't have an argument from me if the two of you hadn't been making misleading ( and truly laughable) statements, all the while beating your chests about how "unique" and special NJ was. I could care less about this poll; I was just going to read a few lines, vote and move on. But some of the statements made here just demanded a response.

If you want the comments about Camden, et al., to stop, then do something about them. If NJ is as great and as wealthy as you claim , then there's no reason to tolerate such abysmal places within your state borders.
What's laughable? NJ is indeed one of the most educated, safest, and most desirable states. In all 3 categories, it surely beats SC. So what's laughable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top