Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
One correction ... desirability is subjective based on individual people's tastes, but overall desirability can be measured by real estate values. NJ being one of the most expensive areas to live in, validates my statement that it's "one of the most desirable places to live in". I.e., more people are willing to pay more money, to live in NJ, than in most other places.
Or people in NJ are just wasting their money. Believe me, there are plenty of people that would never live in NJ even if you offered them a mansion. I laugh at the people in NJ spending so much money on their houses thinking it's worth the price to live in "such a good place." Stop using your real estate prices to brag about NJ. Some people prefer cheaper real estate and don't care if you think cheap real estate=bad place to live.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 AM

155 posts, read 158,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Or people in NJ are just wasting their money. Believe me, there are plenty of people that would never live in NJ even if you offered them a mansion. I laugh at the people in NJ spending so much money on their houses thinking it's worth the price to live in "such a good place." Stop using your real estate prices to brag about NJ. Some people prefer cheaper real estate and don't care if you think cheap real estate=bad place to live.
Look at Miami.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
I'd take the natural beauty of SC over the dirty, overcrowded cities of NJ.
You know nothing
You act as if NJ has no natural beauty to compare.

New Jersey has
The Delaware water gap, the 2nd largest waterfall in the north east, 700 square miles of protected forest land, 130 miles of shore line (some fun some gorgeous), the Palisade Cliffs, the Pine Barrens, and the Ramapo Mountains.

Oh, Even with New Jersey's high population density, it still manages to be one of the nations safest states.

New Jersey ranks #32 (50 being the safest)
South Carolina ranks #6 (1 being the most dangerous)

Oh and you mention NJ cities as dirty... ok
Elizabeth NJ has the states biggest port (and the biggest on the eastern seaboard) and it's home to the infamous refineries everyone loves to bash (even though it holds thousands of jobs, your call) you'd think it's pretty dirty... well even with all that weight on it's back... America's 50 Greenest Cities | Popular Science
It's one of the 50 cities, recognized as being green.

Don't bother trying to look for a SC city on the list.

I go by facts, not stereotypes.. it would be misleading otherwise
If NJ ignorance was gold... because it is plentiful.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Coming from New Mexico.. I can only laugh.
Your opinion doesn't make you a living fact buddy.

"Affordable" (or as i like to call them, cheap) states who brag how good they got it and trash talk NJ are living in a state with a high population of people under the poverty line, high statewide crime rates, horrible school systems (bad education), and a crappy job market.

I can't see how your theory makes any sense.. How can people in NJ be wasting all this money, and still remain one of the wealthiest states with some of the least amounts of people under the poverty line?
And your laughing at NJ in your poor, un-educated, crime-ridden state of New Mexico.. Well all I can tell you that NJ is laughing too.

You really can't speak on anything, because you obviously have no clue what so ever.. you rely on nothing but stereotypes... And i'm sorry for you.

People live in NJ for a better life, better schools, and more opportunities.. it's not so hard to figure out why it's expensive, but it might be embarrassing for a lot of the country if NJ still remains one of the wealthiest states, don't you think?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
People live in NJ for a better life, better schools, and more opportunities.. it's not so hard to figure out why it's expensive, but it might be embarrassing for a lot of the country if NJ still remains one of the wealthiest states, don't you think?
Those are the reasons people live in New Jersey...but why do so many people leave New Jersey? Same reasons?

Old 10-04-2009, 12:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Actually, he's originally from Massachusetts. He left.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
You know nothing
You act as if NJ has no natural beauty to compare.

New Jersey has
The Delaware water gap, the 2nd largest waterfall in the north east, 700 square miles of protected forest land, 130 miles of shore line (some fun some gorgeous), the Palisade Cliffs, the Pine Barrens, and the Ramapo Mountains.

Oh, Even with New Jersey's high population density, it still manages to be one of the nations safest states.

New Jersey ranks #32 (50 being the safest)
South Carolina ranks #6 (1 being the most dangerous)

Oh and you mention NJ cities as dirty... ok
Elizabeth NJ has the states biggest port (and the biggest on the eastern seaboard) and it's home to the infamous refineries everyone loves to bash (even though it holds thousands of jobs, your call) you'd think it's pretty dirty... well even with all that weight on it's back... America's 50 Greenest Cities | Popular Science
It's one of the 50 cities, recognized as being green.

Don't bother trying to look for a SC city on the list.

I go by facts, not stereotypes.. it would be misleading otherwise
If NJ ignorance was gold... because it is plentiful.
I realize New Jersey isn't all urban. But South Carolina has a lower population density so obviously there will be more natural beauty in South Carolina.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:

"Affordable" (or as i like to call them, cheap) states who brag how good they got it and trash talk NJ are living in a state with a high population of people under the poverty line, high statewide crime rates, horrible school systems (bad education), and a crappy job market.

I can't see how your theory makes any sense.. How can people in NJ be wasting all this money, and still remain one of the wealthiest states with some of the least amounts of people under the poverty line?
And your laughing at NJ in your poor, un-educated, crime-ridden state of New Mexico.. Well all I can tell you that NJ is laughing too.

You really can't speak on anything, because you obviously have no clue what so ever.. you rely on nothing but stereotypes... And i'm sorry for you.

New Jersey is one of the wealthiest states in terms of income. But your money doesn't go very far in New Jersey. Not all affordable states have a bad job market. Texas, for example, had one of the best economies even during the recession up until recently.

A lot of your statements about New Mexico don't apply to me. New Mexico might have a high crime rate overall, but that's partially because of the low population (in other words, it doesn't take much for the per capita crime rate to go up). A lot of the crime is in Albuquerque. Las Cruces, where I live, is one of the safest cities in the country.

The schools may not perform as well on tests, but English is a second language for a lot of the people here. I'd like to see how you would do in school if your school was taught in a language other than your own. What does it matter if a lot of the people here are uneducated? That doesn't have anything to do with me because I came here to get a college education.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:56 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
I realize New Jersey isn't all urban. But South Carolina has a lower population density so obviously there will be more natural beauty in South Carolina.
Lower population density isn't always a good thing, at least for me. I need to be in a place where I have immediate access to public transit, activities, and all of the things an urbanite would have access too. I used to live in a place that was way out in the sticks. I got bored too easily because you need a car to get anywhere and anything I found worth going to was 30 miles away. I don't have a car and I barely even know how to drive(I don't even have a drivers license). Being in an urban area, it is better for me because everything is at my fingertips.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM

110 posts, read 101,339 times
Quote:
You think that SC has better natural beauty simply because it has a lower population density? What does a lower population density have to do with natural beauty? Natural beauty is mountains, forest, roads, etc. What do those things have to do with population density? And don’t tell me that you meant crime because many NJ supporters have already proved that SC is one of the 5 most dangerous states of all 50. Also, I have been to SC and there wasn't any natural beauty. Actually, quite the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City