Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times

Advertisements

Why is this thread back from the graveyard?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
By far the most irritating thing is that they are typically originally from someplace far, far, far less significant than NJ
You are overlooking the bland, vanilla, insecure NY'er who uses his zip code as a personality crutch. He thinks that is his trump card & he's going to use it often. I've met a couple of those.

It's kind of like how the most overtly racist white males are usually angry, insignificant piles of failure.
They search desperately for some sense of false superiority.

Same premise.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
So let's see...what exactly does this have to do with NJ vs. SC?

Nothing
was i talking to you? no. i was replying to someone else. ask him.
my original post was on topic. the guy made a comment about my post so i made a comment back and here you are...

so what exactly does your post have to do with nj vs sc?

and i'm not insecure, nor am i a transplant. or white...not that race or any of the above should matter. thanks for the insults and assumptions, tho.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yep. NY smuggery and inflated self-worth at its finest.

I dated someone like that once. "I won't come to NJ (ever). You have to come to the city if you want to see me. You're not worth figuring out how to use PATH for." As if PATH takes a PhD in neuroscience to figure out. It's easier than MTA (and cheaper)!

Usually folks like this are recent arrivals to NYC who hail from Map Dot, USA. They think their self-worth automatically doubled because they moved to Manhattan and live some kind of faux-Sex and the City fantasy lifestyle that they can't really afford because they're waiting tables at Red Lobster while they work on the stage play that will break them into theatrrrree. They won't leave the island of Manhattan unless forced, although they could tolerate parts of Brooklyn if they hold their noses.

^This isn't the majority of NYers, mind you, but there are plenty of these folks about. And they make themselves known.
first off, you're not talking about me because i'm born and bred in nyc.

you typed all of that out for nothing. you watch too much tv. your story sounds like a failed pilot.

second, where was the person that you dated from? if you are in jersey and she is in a borough that isn't manhattan then it does not make sense for this person to meet you in jersey. thats too much of a hassle. its easier if you meet in manhattan, period. you probably don't even live near a path station. most ppl i know in jersey have to take the bus to take the path train. thats a hell na from say queens or bk. i'ma get on the train to go into the city to take the path to take the bus to see you?? ahahaha!!

lemme ask you this, are you going from jersey to say queens or brooklyn to meet this person every time? probably not...so why would you expect them to go all the way to jersey for you?

now this is completely off topic, so again, i will answer the question that i already answered.

jersey over south carolina any day of the week. there is more to do, IMHO the quality of life is much better, etc. the only thing that sc has over jersey is the weather in the spring time. and charleston was nice. thats about it.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
was i talking to you? no. i was replying to someone else. ask him.
my original post was on topic. the guy made a comment about my post so i made a comment back and here you are...

so what exactly does your post have to do with nj vs sc?

and i'm not insecure, nor am i a transplant. or white...not that race or any of the above should matter. thanks for the insults and assumptions, tho.

Could care less who you were referring/talking to, you were about to drag yet another thread off topic.

Didn't say anything about your race or otherwise btw.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Theres no competition. Jersey beats south crack. Along with any other northeastern state. I go to school in columbia, i should know. Nothing agaisnt SC. But the south simply cant compete with the northeast

Sorry if this post was underwhelming to anyone from jersey, when they saw the name KONY was the creator of the last post

Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
first off, you're not talking about me because i'm born and bred in nyc.

you typed all of that out for nothing. you watch too much tv. your story sounds like a failed pilot.

second, where was the person that you dated from? if you are in jersey and she is in a borough that isn't manhattan then it does not make sense for this person to meet you in jersey. thats too much of a hassle. its easier if you meet in manhattan, period. you probably don't even live near a path station. most ppl i know in jersey have to take the bus to take the path train. thats a hell na from say queens or bk. i'ma get on the train to go into the city to take the path to take the bus to see you?? ahahaha!!

lemme ask you this, are you going from jersey to say queens or brooklyn to meet this person every time? probably not...so why would you expect them to go all the way to jersey for you?

now this is completely off topic, so again, i will answer the question that i already answered.

jersey over south carolina any day of the week. there is more to do, IMHO the quality of life is much better, etc. the only thing that sc has over jersey is the weather in the spring time. and charleston was nice. thats about it.

Cute. Not that it matters, but I live 3 blocks from a PATH station. 5 min walk max. The point I'm getting at is that there are some (not all) Manhattanites out there seem to act as though living in Manhattan automatically makes them better than everyone else. Symptoms of that include a disdain for anything outside of their island bubble. IMO it's sad to limit oneself to such a small world. Your earlier post reminded me of that kind of attitude.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM
eek

i would argue that many if not most manhattanites are from some place else in the country/world and therefore have lived outside of their "bubble," have settled in manhattan and have determined that manhattan is superior to wherever they're originally from.

ppl are entitled to their opinions. you don't know how or why ppl come to the conclusions that they come to unless you ask. you should not assume anything.

this is completely off topic but my thoughts on jersey as far as distance is not limited to jersey. if i dated a girl in the bronx, i'd tell her to meet me in manhattan. i'm not taking the train from queens to manhattan to the bronx. our dates would be in manhattan anyway unless she's trying to come back with me...

its too far. it takes too long. and thats within nyc. so i definitely would not be going to jersey for every date either. i'm sure most ppl in nyc dating ppl from jersey city feel that way.
why would we be expected to take the train to take the path train to pick her up and then to take the path train back into the city to chill (cuz chances are we aren't chillin in jersey city), to then take the path to where the person lives to drop her off, if its like that, to then take the path back to take the train back to where we live? thats too much.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
i would argue that many if not most manhattanites are from some place else in the country/world and therefore have lived outside of their "bubble," have settled in manhattan and have determined that manhattan is superior to wherever they're originally from.

ppl are entitled to their opinions. you don't know how or why ppl come to the conclusions that they come to unless you ask. you should not assume anything.

this is completely off topic but my thoughts on jersey as far as distance is not limited to jersey. if i dated a girl in the bronx, i'd tell her to meet me in manhattan. i'm not taking the train from queens to manhattan to the bronx. our dates would be in manhattan anyway unless she's trying to come back with me...

its too far. it takes too long. and thats within nyc. so i definitely would not be going to jersey for every date either. i'm sure most ppl in nyc dating ppl from jersey city feel that way.
why would we be expected to take the train to take the path train to pick her up and then to take the path train back into the city to chill (cuz chances are we aren't chillin in jersey city), to then take the path to where the person lives to drop her off, if its like that, to then take the path back to take the train back to where we live? thats too much.
Off topic indeed, so I won't go farther than to say transit planning is not the issue.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
eek

i'm done too. i don't want to contribute in killing the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City