U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most like to live in? Why?
Boston 58 10.34%
Chicago 90 16.04%
Dallas 43 7.66%
Houston 45 8.02%
Las Vegas 40 7.13%
Los Angeles 63 11.23%
Miami 25 4.46%
New York City 62 11.05%
Phoenix 27 4.81%
Philly 57 10.16%
San Fran 51 9.09%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:16 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,550,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I feel a lot of people are being turned off of NYC because of the current population there. It's just not the same vibe as the old NY.
times change. i think a lot of nyers (i wouldn't say a majority) feel that way. i know i'm not the only person that misses "the old ny" but you have to realize that times change. gentrification is real.

ny's being changed to appease outsiders IMO. at the same time ppl (meaning ethnic groups) have always moved in and out of ny. pick a neighborhood. there have always been changes. we're going through another change nowadays.

Quote:
NYC is a very interesting city. There's tons of stuff to do. But there are many, many downsides to NYC. For starters, the living conditions there are the worst in the country. Lots of people would like to visit NYC, but not live there.

To each his own.
i know you don't believe that. have you been to ny in 2010?? we're not talking about 1995 and back ny. even then, the living conditions in ny weren't as bad as say a chicago...

living conditions are nowhere near a new orleans, for example, if you're talking about crime.

ny is a cleaner city than it has ever been, crime is down dramatically, etc. etc.

Quote:
And who are these normal people? Are you a normal person or are you this NYC rockstar by default?
ask grapico since he brought it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,209,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
nyc is more than just a larger city than sf, chicago and dc.

none of those other cities offer as much as nyc as far as urban lifestyle.
What does NYC offer that those cities don't? What can you get in NY that you can't get in those cities?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 3,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What does NYC offer that those cities don't? What can you get in NY that you can't get in those cities?

Nothing... they are just being haters

Old 07-31-2010, 07:48 AM

174 posts, read 467,001 times
All are way too liberal for me, but I picked NYC for it's density, walkability, public transportation and variety. Plus, it's a lot safer than it used to be.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM

16 posts, read 35,652 times
1. Chicago - for me, the sports experience is enough in and of itself, love of architecture, the lakefront, the food (pizza, chicago dogs, italian beefs, plus the variety of ethnic and high-end restaurants), urban living with realistic COL, I could go on. The weather is not the greatest but I'm used to hibernating from December to February.

2. Boston - coastal, dense but not overwhelming, young and educated population, love the old architecture. High COL and nearly untraversable street system are detractors.

3. NY - the obvious pros and cons. Amazing city life and cultural experience but with high COL. What good are all the amenities in the world if you can't afford them, don't have time for them and have to live in a closet? I'm sure I would make do.

From the rest of this list I might as well draw out of a hat. I'd probably rather live in DC and Denver before the rest of these cities.

Sadly, from this list I've only been to Chicago, Boston, LA (as a kid) and Phoenix. However, that's going to change as I'm visiting friends in NY, Philly, DC as well as Boston in a few weeks! I'm pretty excited to take in some local fares, experience the nightlife and the cityscape.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:36 PM

23 posts, read 33,624 times
I picked Houston (not just because i live here) because its very affordable, theres lots of things to do, it rains frequently, its beautiful and the people are nice. New York City definately would be my second option, only dealbreaker is that it isn't the most affordable place.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:56 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,586,390 times
Philly! Talk about the most underrated city in the country.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,049,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Philly! Talk about the most underrated city in the country.
LOL don't pay any attention to a city-data poll. These polls are anything but accurate.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 AM

14,074 posts, read 22,340,416 times
Sf/la/mia/houston/dal/phx.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 AM

174 posts, read 467,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
All are way too liberal for me, but I picked NYC for it's density, walkability, public transportation and variety. Plus, it's a lot safer than it used to be.
Dallas and Phoenix are much less liberal (or so I hear) but are also geographically homogenous and sparsley populated (automobile oriented.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or