U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most like to live in? Why?
Boston 57 10.31%
Chicago 90 16.27%
Dallas 43 7.78%
Houston 44 7.96%
Las Vegas 39 7.05%
Los Angeles 61 11.03%
Miami 25 4.52%
New York City 60 10.85%
Phoenix 27 4.88%
Philly 56 10.13%
San Fran 51 9.22%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,960,872 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas is #2 for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM

3,435 posts, read 8,041,897 times
1) Chicago
2) Philadelphia
3) New York
4) San Francisco (do have concerns about shake, rattle, and roll though)

Las Vegas would definitely rank last among the cities listed. It is like one giant suburb with a big adult entertainment complex in the middle. It is also VERY isolated.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,054,893 times
Boston - Excellent transit, seasons, educated crowd, coastal, sports teams, history, location to beach & mtns.....

also a big fan of SF and Chicago and Manhattan (rest of ny i could do w/o).

Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,049,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Las Vegas is #2 for me.
I've been in every city on this list except for Trash Vegas simply because absolutely nothing about it appeals to me. Ersatz icons and second-rate live shows make me want to yawn. And the gambling... I can think of better ways to blow my money.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 9,191,411 times
Default I live in Boston...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Which city/metro area would you most like to live in. Why?
...and it's just fine, but otherwise I would choose Chicago--less expensive, pleasant people, superior mass transit, decent nightlife, good sports choices, and 4 full seasons.

I enjoy SF, LA and NYC for long weekends.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 AM

767 posts, read 1,804,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
L.A. doesn't have an NFL team!
It's a great place to live no doubt, but it is so big that it takes a long time to get anywhere.

San Fran is great too but getting into the city is not easy, it is really congested and the weather is not what you think it is. It is also home to huge numbers of homeless and runaways.

Points well taken. LA does need an NFL team and the weather in SF can get a little chilly and gloomy at times

Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,265,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Points well taken. LA does need an NFL team and the weather in SF can get a little chilly and gloomy at times
"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco"

Attributed but unverified quote of Mark Twain

Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM

87 posts, read 164,316 times
I voted New York because I would like to be somewhere that has no limit like New York. Also, you can't get anymore international than New York. It's also just so huge you're bound to find someone with similar interests as you somewhere there!

On the other cities:

Boston- nice climate for cold lovers like myself, but too expensive for what you're getting.

Chicago- simply isn't New York. Realistically, I could live here, but not New York because Chicago is much more affordable. I plan on moving there after I graduate.

Dallas- Oh Dallas...the land I call home. This is the city I can REALLY tell you about. This city is one of the most materialistic cities in the U.S.. I wouldn't say the people you'll find here are the nicest you will meet, but they know the definition of FUN. I love it, but then again, I'm a minor so it's not like I chose it.

Houston- Wonderful. The warmer alternative to Chicago. Except, Houston is much more "new school". It's a city with EVERYTHING. The people a great, the food is divine, and it's extremely cultural and diverse. It has a great selection of things to do...no matter what you're into. The only city in Texas that I would call "International". Most underrated city in the U.S. by a long shot.

Las Vegas- I love to have a good time, but it's just not somewhere I could see myself living...NOT a place I could call home.

Los Angeles- City of Angels. I just don't think it's for me. It seems pleasant, but it's in the media all the time and I just don't see it as a very "city" place. I'm a city boy and I'm thinking more the city than the valley.

Miami- I know heating living in Dallas, but I can't imagine going through November-March without seeing the temperature drop below 30 degrees. I love the cold and that simply does it for me...I'm out. Since when is 90 degree weather "pleasant" or "beautiful"? NO.

Phoenix- Interesting city. I think Phoenix would be too hot for me, but it seems to be very industrial (which I like) and very "together". I just don't see myself living in the southwest.

Philadelphia- Historical and affordable? I'm in. I really like this city, but the only reason I would live there instead of New York is money. I would choose Chicago over Philly, though. The only reason I can really see myself moving there is because it's closer to New York than Chicago.

San Francisco- Very scenic and city. I like that combination. It's also one of the greenist cities in the U.S., which is a plus. But, I just don't know that I would choose it over Chicago even if money was no object.

Wow...that was time consuming.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Points of Clarification?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,803,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hype View Post
i voted new york because i would like to be somewhere that has no limit like new york. Also, you can't get anymore international than new york. It's also just so huge you're bound to find someone with similar interests as you somewhere there!

On the other cities:

Boston- nice climate for cold lovers like myself, but too expensive for what you're getting.

Chicago- simply isn't new york. Realistically, i could live here, but not new york because chicago is much more affordable. I plan on moving there after i graduate.

Dallas- oh dallas...the land i call home. This is the city i can really tell you about. This city is one of the most materialistic cities in the u.s.. I wouldn't say the people you'll find here are the nicest you will meet, but they know the definition of fun. I love it, but then again, i'm a minor so it's not like i chose it.

Houston- wonderful. The warmer alternative to chicago. Except, houston is much more "new school". It's a city with everything. The people a great, the food is divine, and it's extremely cultural and diverse. It has a great selection of things to do...no matter what you're into. The only city in texas that i would call "international". Most underrated city in the u.s. By a long shot.

Las vegas- i love to have a good time, but it's just not somewhere i could see myself living...not a place i could call home.

Los angeles- city of angels. I just don't think it's for me. It seems pleasant, but it's in the media all the time and i just don't see it as a very "city" place. I'm a city boy and i'm thinking more the city than the valley.

Miami- i know heating living in dallas, but i can't imagine going through november-march without seeing the temperature drop below 30 degrees. I love the cold and that simply does it for me...i'm out. Since when is 90 degree weather "pleasant" or "beautiful"? No.

Phoenix- interesting city. I think phoenix would be too hot for me, but it seems to be very industrial (which i like) and very "together". I just don't see myself living in the southwest.

Philadelphia- historical and affordable? I'm in. I really like this city, but the only reason i would live there instead of new york is money. I would choose chicago over philly, though. The only reason i can really see myself moving there is because it's closer to new york than chicago.

San francisco- very scenic and city. I like that combination. It's also one of the greenist cities in the u.s., which is a plus. But, i just don't know that i would choose it over chicago even if money was no object.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Points of clarification?
great post!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,017,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hype View Post
I voted New York because I would like to be somewhere that has no limit like New York. Also, you can't get anymore international than New York. It's also just so huge you're bound to find someone with similar interests as you somewhere there!

On the other cities:

Chicago- simply isn't New York. Realistically, I could live here, but not New York because Chicago is much more affordable. I plan on moving there after I graduate.

Dallas- Oh Dallas...the land I call home. This is the city I can REALLY tell you about. This city is one of the most materialistic cities in the U.S.. I wouldn't say the people you'll find here are the nicest you will meet, but they know the definition of FUN. I love it, but then again, I'm a minor so it's not like I chose it.

Houston- Wonderful. The warmer alternative to Chicago. Except, Houston is much more "new school". It's a city with EVERYTHING. The people a great, the food is divine, and it's extremely cultural and diverse. It has a great selection of things to do...no matter what you're into. The only city in Texas that I would call "International". Most underrated city in the U.S. by a long shot.

Las Vegas- I love to have a good time, but it's just not somewhere I could see myself living...NOT a place I could call home.

Los Angeles- City of Angels. I just don't think it's for me. It seems pleasant, but it's in the media all the time and I just don't see it as a very "city" place. I'm a city boy and I'm thinking more the city than the valley.

Miami- I know heating living in Dallas, but I can't imagine going through November-March without seeing the temperature drop below 30 degrees. I love the cold and that simply does it for me...I'm out. Since when is 90 degree weather "pleasant" or "beautiful"? NO.

Phoenix- Interesting city. I think Phoenix would be too hot for me, but it seems to be very industrial (which I like) and very "together". I just don't see myself living in the southwest.

Philadelphia- Historical and affordable? I'm in. I really like this city, but the only reason I would live there instead of New York is money. I would choose Chicago over Philly, though. The only reason I can really see myself moving there is because it's closer to New York than Chicago.

San Francisco- Very scenic and city. I like that combination. It's also one of the greenist cities in the U.S., which is a plus. But, I just don't know that I would choose it over Chicago even if money was no object.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Points of Clarification?
I think you're really accurate with these observations. Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or