U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you most like to live in? Why?
Boston 57 10.31%
Chicago 90 16.27%
Dallas 43 7.78%
Houston 44 7.96%
Las Vegas 39 7.05%
Los Angeles 61 11.03%
Miami 25 4.52%
New York City 60 10.85%
Phoenix 27 4.88%
Philly 56 10.13%
San Fran 51 9.22%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 AM

4,861 posts, read 5,997,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
IMO, I would rather live in Long Island over Houston.
I've lived both places and for me I can't understand anyone picking Houston. I gues thats what different strokes is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:24 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,803,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I've lived both places and for me I can't understand anyone picking Houston. I gues thats what different strokes is about.
I have never been to Houston. Overall I think Houston would be cool, but nothing compares to NYC

Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,814,961 times

You have to laugh at how mad New York City posters get when they don't win every poll.
Chicago and Houston are both winning here so get over it and move on
They stomp their feet and bash their heads on the keyboard wondering how in the world their city is NOT the center of the universe

"You guys are not any fun, I don't want to play anymore"

Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 AM

4,861 posts, read 5,997,092 times
Quote:
I have never been to Houston. Overall I think Houston would be ok, but nothing compares to NYC
You are right on your asssumption. Houston is ok at times but is like a third world country in many areas. Most people hold on to the old NYC view of the Bronx. The fact is that modern day Houston is the tale of two cities. If you want to live in an urban environment there are only a few cities that meet the criteria. Cities like Houston and La create hostility because they have the benefits of neither the city or the country. The city has all the amenities at hand. The country lifestyle has space, security, and tranquilitity. The fact is that when you have to sit in your car for hours to go back and forth to work you become hostile to the lifestyle. My belief is choose one or the other. ities like Houston and LA offer the benefits of neither and the hassles of both. Atleast in Long Island you have NYC and all it has to offer with no more hassles than Houston. In fact the LIRR is better than any thing Houston can offer to access to so much.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,265,536 times
Quote:
quote=hype;7740006I voted New York because I would like to be somewhere that has no limit like New York. Also, you can't get anymore international than New York. It's also just so huge you're bound to find someone with similar interests as you somewhere there!

On the other cities:........

.....Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Points of Clarification?.
How many of these cities have you actually spent time in?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM

87 posts, read 164,316 times
Quote:
great post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I think you're really accurate with these observations. Good job!

Thank you both for the positive feedback!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM

87 posts, read 164,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How many of these cities have you actually spent time in?
Not the majority, but I've done my research this summer when I began my travel obsession. I'm going to Chicago and Mexico during the course of the next few weeks. I travel, but honestly, couldn't say I've been to the majority of these places, but then again, I didn't really bad mouth any of them so I don't see it as a problem.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM

731 posts, read 1,794,536 times
I feel bad- I've never even set foot in Houston, and I haven't spent much time at all in Phoenix or Philly.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM

398 posts, read 1,191,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamax3lovelife View Post
I would love to live in San Fran bc it seems like fun w/ a good mix between big & small city.
SF is soooo overrated. On the other hand, the rest of the greater Bay Area(South Bay, East Bay, North Bay) are great though.. SF is way to expensive, weather is not good in the summer, boring after a month(You can do everything there is to do in SF in about 11 days!). Radical liberal attitudes that make even normal liberals wanna puke!. SF is diverse in a way. But when I was in Houston last month, I found it had just as much diversity than SF did..Latinos,Blacks,Whites, Asian, European, etc...I would take NYC, or Boston over SF anyday, I truly love the East Coast, But i think Houston is a good look if you want to live in a cool affordable city. And NYC and Boston, are not in your price range. Just my opinion.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,140,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
New York= would live there if it wasn't so expensive.
Chicago= mini New York. Get the most for your money.
Boston= ok city. Nice to visit but I wouldn't live there for personal reasons.
Vegas= i'd visit but would never live there.
LA= wouldn't mind living. But could care less for the mundane weather.
Miami= same as LA.
Phoenix= nothing against Phoenix. but this is not a city I would live in.
SF= see New York.
Dallas= See LA.
Houston= See LA but could easily live here.
Philly= great city. Wouldn't live there though.

I like 4 seasons and an urban environment. New York, Chicago, Philly, and Boston are the best cities for that on this list.
For an urban environment you can add San Francisco to that list.
qfe ... used to like the hot summers going to the beach growing up... the weather is becoming less and less of a factor and enjoy 4 seasons now. I can always take a few winter vacations. I have also grown to absolutely HATE humidity after being out of it for 5-6 years after growing up in it. Going to work in a business suit sweating balls is just not cool 8 months out of the year.

To add to that... I think Seattle and Denver would be cool medium size cities to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or