U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 AM
 
Location: OUTTA SIGHT!
3,025 posts, read 1,092,136 times
Reputation: 1899
They're liberal enough to vote Democrat so..um, any hair splitting with the word 'liberal' you want to do is kind of redundant.
And probably off topic. I'm pretty sure the OP didn't intend to go over the history of the word 'liberal' with a fine toothed comb.


Edit:
As for Oregon...where I used to live...I'd say Portland as most liberal
and...hmmm... Grants Pass (?) as most conservative.

Last edited by brubaker; 03-30-2010 at 04:06 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
6,770 posts, read 9,998,517 times
Reputation: 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
They're liberal enough to vote Democrat so..um, any hair splitting with the word 'liberal' you want to do is kind of redundant.
And probably off topic.
That little gem not withstanding, I stand by my original assertion:

No one who understands Texas politics would ever mistake South Texas/the Valley as a liberal place.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the OP didn't intend to go over the history of the word 'liberal' with a fine toothed comb.
No, the OP wanted to know where liberal areas were. You said South Texas. That was not correct, so I thought I'd point it out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 2,799,904 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
That would be the wrong route.

The Southern part of Texas is democrat, due to the Hispanic influence, but certainly not liberal. No one who knows Texas politics would *ever* make that mistake. If you don't believe me, look at the voting trends on issues like gay rights or definition of marriage.

Here you go:

Daily Kos: TX Prop 2 Results Map (by County)
That is very interesting & probably why several super-rural counties in California have always voted Democratic: they are heavily Latino. That has to be a sobering reality for Republicans esp when the tea baggers\ militias scare the poo poo out of hispanics You can't alienate an entire ethnic group & expect to win elections. And why Texas is going back to being Democratic!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
6,770 posts, read 9,998,517 times
Reputation: 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That is very interesting & probably why several super-rural counties in California have always voted Democratic: they are heavily Latino. That has to be a sobering reality for Republicans esp when the tea baggers\ militias scare the poo poo out of hispanics You can't alienate an entire ethnic group & expect to win elections. And why Texas is going back to being Democratic!
Unfortunately those large areas of blue in south Texas are pretty sparsely populated. If Texas ever goes democratic again, it will be due to the cities (Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin) where 90% of the population lives... and I'm just not seeing that happen. There is a lot of distrust of the government in general, which along with the Republican redistricting will make it *very* difficult to flip the state.

That said, I think Bill White has an outside chance at Governor...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 2,799,904 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Unfortunately those large areas of blue in south Texas are pretty sparsely populated. If Texas ever goes democratic again, it will be due to the cities (Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin) where 90% of the population lives... and I'm just not seeing that happen. There is a lot of distrust of the government in general, which along with the Republican redistricting will make it *very* difficult to flip the state.

That said, I think Bill White has an outside chance at Governor...
Oh I see. But if Texas is anything like California than hispanics are the fastest growing ethnic group, right? There are large cities [including Los Angeles] where Latinos are the largest ethnic group. Not liberal per se, but Mexican-Americans just do not vote for Republicans. That is why Arizona is the next Southwest state expected to be majority Democratic in the 2012 election [joining New Mexico\ Colorado\ Nevada & California]. Not Utah though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
 
Location: OUTTA SIGHT!
3,025 posts, read 1,092,136 times
Reputation: 1899
Countdown: 10 Most Liberal, Most Conservative California Cities
CaliforniaCityNews.org: Countdown: 10 Most Liberal, Most Conservative California Cities

Colorado is kind of funny, I'd say Denver is the most Democratic / Liberal and, not far away, Colorado Springs the most Conservative.

We are talking about places with over, what?, 500, 000 population right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 2,799,904 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Countdown: 10 Most Liberal, Most Conservative California Cities
CaliforniaCityNews.org: Countdown: 10 Most Liberal, Most Conservative California Cities

Colorado is kind of funny, I'd say Denver is the most Democratic / Liberal and, not far away, Colorado Springs the most Conservative.

We are talking about places with over, what?, 500, 000 population right?
Boy, those red dots surrounding LA look scary! Some of those are Mormon towns. But conservative in California is like liberal compared to conservative in the red states!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 AM
 
2,249 posts, read 3,873,816 times
Reputation: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Why is Fort Wayne considered conservative since it is over 250,000 people? Also why is Valparaiso conservative since it has a university?
Sur, I really don't know why exactly Fort Wayne is so conservative, as it's a pretty decent sized city with industrial ties. Northern Indiana (in general) is pretty conservative, though, and there is also a significant Amish component in Northern Indiana.

I'm told that Valpo is fairly religious, and its university is affiliated with the Lutheran church.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,245 posts, read 12,316,355 times
Reputation: 4683
In Texas, Austin would be the most liberal followed by Houston & Dallas.

That said, Houston just elected the first openly lesbian mayor in US history & Dallas County went all blue in 2009.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 06:28 PM
 
521 posts, read 698,521 times
Reputation: 305
In Texas, the most liberal would be Austin, and most conservative might be Waco or College Station/Bryan...at least among the cities/towns that are large enough and better known...otherwise, pretty much anywhere in Texas is fairly conservative.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top