U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Paris 75 56.39%
Chicago 58 43.61%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,018,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I don't have any fantasy that Chicago is some cultural equivalent of Paris--or even New York. But "dementor" just posts innacuracies.

LookoutKid,

You just called me a liar w/o even attempting to refute my points and give me an opportunity for a rebuke. I made three points in my post, which one of them you find "innacurate"?

1) Chicago has only a handful of theaters, as a matter of fact about three local theaters and than some stages dedicated to hosting Brodway travelling troups, hardly local productions. Of course there are high school and retirement homes productions but I am counting professional theater only.

2) Chicago has no nationally and/or internationally known publication.
Chicago press consist of two papers with only local circulation.

3) Chicago does not host any nationally and/or internationally known cultural events

All of this in a three million people city with a GDP of $440B ???
Cultural wasteland.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM

10,309 posts, read 4,872,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
LookoutKid,

You just called me a liar w/o even attempting to refute my points and give me an opportunity for a rebuke. I made three points in my post, which one of them you find "innacurate"?

1) Chicago has only a handful of theaters, as a matter of fact about three local theaters and than some stages dedicated to hosting Brodway travelling troups, hardly local productions. Of course there are high school and retirement homes productions but I am counting professional theater only.

3) Chicago does not host any nationally and/or internationally known cultural events

Cultural wasteland.
What does this have to do with quality of life?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM

10,681 posts, read 18,265,915 times
Quote:
LookoutKid,

Cultural wasteland.
All three of those are innacurate.

1. There are dozens of local theaters doing local productions. Where do you get your ridiculous idea that there are only three? Chicago has the second-most vibrant local theater scene in the U.S. after NYC. L.A. is an actor's paradise as well, but more for mass media. Also, Chicago is the mecca for improv comedy, and is a launching pad for many comic careers through Second City, ImprovOlympic, Annoyance Theater, etc.

2. Being a publishing center doesn't really lead to international prominence. But Chicago is home to the de facto black newspaper of the civil rights era (The Defender) which had a national readership in the 20th Century. We are also home to Ebony and Jet magazines. The editorial staff of Crain's Publications is here. And we have many smaller cultural rags like Verbatim, Poetry, and Punk Planet.

3. Chicago has countless cultural events. Music events like Lollapalooza (now a Chicago-only festival), the Pitchfork Music Festival, and the Intonation Music Festival have put us on the international music scene. But let's be honest here... There really aren't many national and internationally known cultural events anywhere. New York doesn't even have any, outside of Fashion Week. Venice has the Biennale. Cannes, France has it's film festival (yet is still not a cultural center). Events don't have much corrolation with cultural prominence. But having a well-regarded symphony, opera, ballet, and art collections do have a strong corrolation.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,199,049 times
Quote:
All three of those are innacurate.

1. There are dozens of local theaters doing local productions. Where do you get your ridiculous idea that there are only three? Chicago has the second-most vibrant local theater scene in the U.S. after NYC. L.A. is an actor's paradise as well, but more for mass media. Also, Chicago is the mecca for improv comedy, and is a launching pad for many comic careers through Second City, ImprovOlympic, Annoyance Theater, etc.

2. Being a publishing center doesn't really lead to international prominence. But Chicago is home to the de facto black newspaper of the civil rights era (The Defender) which had a national readership in the 20th Century. We are also home to Ebony and Jet magazines. The editorial staff of Crain's Publications is here. And we have many smaller cultural rags like Verbatim, Poetry, and Punk Planet.

3. Chicago has countless cultural events. Music events like Lollapalooza (now a Chicago-only festival), the Pitchfork Music Festival, and the Intonation Music Festival have put us on the international music scene. But let's be honest here... There really aren't many national and internationally known cultural events anywhere. New York doesn't even have any, outside of Fashion Week. Venice has the Biennale. Cannes, France has it's film festival (yet is still not a cultural center). Events don't have much corrolation with cultural prominence. But having a well-regarded symphony, opera, ballet, and art collections do have a strong corrolation.

Lets not forget Playboy!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Lets not forget Playboy!
Yeah, wow! How did I forget that one?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
What did he say about Chicago: broad lawns, narrow minds? Right on and still valid.
Another falsehood! That was a quote about his home town Oak Park, not Chicago. It was an upper crust dry Waspy conservative town when he grew up there. The irony of this is that Oak Park is now one of the most liberal and progressive suburbs of greater Chicago. And of course, you can get a drink there now.

The funny thing is that I picked Paris in the poll and have no fantasy that Chicago is on par culturally with Paris or New York. But the comments made by "dementor" are just so ridiculously off that I have ended up defending Chicago here. The guy must have had his dog run over by Mayor Daley's Towncar or something...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:14 PM

795 posts, read 1,589,251 times
Seriously, why would I like a city that hates Americans? And I am such a sucker for a skyline...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,759,947 times
A Chicago dude must have stolen his girlfriend

Quote:
The guy must have had his dog run over by Mayor Daley's Towncar or something...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,973,829 times
Quote:
You are absolutely rigth. It is pitiful when a three milion strong city has a multitude of bars but only a handful of theaters and not a single national publication or national/international cultural event. City without any culture is not a city. Compared to Paris Chicago is a broing, unimaginative cultural wasteland so no wonder that even Chicago's own Hemingway chose to dump the city for..... Paris. What did he say about Chicago: broad lawns, narrow minds? Right on and still valid.
There you go again with that "three million strong city" stuff again. Didn't you see that Chicago actually has about 700,000 more people than Paris in its city-proper?

As far as Chicago not having national publications, someone already mentioned Playboy, but what about the Chicago Tribune? That's arguably the 3rd most respected paper in the entire U.S. after the New York Times and the Washington Post.

Then there's your ludicrous assertion that Chicago doesn't have any national or international cultural events. Hello, ever hear of a little talk show called OPRAH? Oprah Winfrey is an international event in and of herself. Several publications have labeled her the most influential woman in the world. And what about the 2016 Olympics, is that international enough for you?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,759,947 times
Nah. They did not hate Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Seriously, why would I like a city that hates Americans? And I am such a sucker for a skyline...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.